Archinect
anchor

portfolio paper

tman

I was wondering what type of paper do you guys use for printing a portfolio.

Right now, I got this wausau 100lb Bright White paper. I like the rough texture and thickness of it, however the colors don't *pop* as much as I'd like and you can kind of see through the page and get an outline of the next images. Also, i've printed a test and it's been sitting for about a week, and i've noticed that some of the pages with heavy amounts of ink have become alittle bumpy. Any suggestions? Maybe I should try glossy (never been a fan of the plastic look), but do they make in 100lb?

Also, what are some good paper stores around los angeles/orange county

Jun 16, 05 1:39 am
swisscardlite

kinkos? i'm doing all my portfolio binding at kinkos.

Jun 16, 05 1:44 am  · 
 · 
zeth01

KINKOS? HAHAHAHA GO SOMEWHERE ELSE LOOK IN THE PHONEBOOK USUALLY ITS THE SMALL LITTLE HOLE IN THE WALL THAT DOES THE BEST WORK

Jun 16, 05 1:48 am  · 
 · 
zeth01

KINKOS? HAHAHAHA GO SOMEWHERE ELSE LOOK IN THE PHONEBOOK USUALLY ITS THE SMALL LITTLE HOLE IN THE WALL THAT DOES THE BEST WORK

· 
accesskb

Why don't you just print at Kinkos? They have good paper and lazer printer.

· 
tman

I know where I want to print already, i'm looking for paper stores where I can go into and take samples. I only know Kelly Paper Store right now.

Jun 16, 05 1:53 am  · 
 · 
momentum

i have had good luck with some of the paper at office depot. there is a double sided matte gloss, i believe from hp, that i like. it is not over glossy, and with my inkjet at home, the colors really show up well. my problems have been when i take the time to print it, then go get it bound at kinkos. it never fails, they cut it wrong somewhere, or bind it on the wrong side, or with the wrong binding, and i have to wait for it a while usually.

Jun 16, 05 9:26 am  · 
 · 
mdler

I would go with a nice Epson paper, personally. I suppose it also depends on how you will bind it. If you want double sided, I suggest looking at Japaneese binding. It gives a two-sided effect, but you only need to print on one side of the page. This allows for lighter weight paper stock, less ink, etc...

Jun 16, 05 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Also, I have found that glossy sometimes sticks to each other, if there is too much ink

Jun 16, 05 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

I would go into stationary and small publishing houses and see what paper samles they have on line. I would also recomend checking out pen stores, they usually have an assortment of fine papers on hand as well.

Jun 16, 05 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
bluegrass
www.redriverpaper.com

great specialty inkjet papers and large sizes

Jun 16, 05 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
The commish

Find a good Epson printer to use, and buy a bunch of Double Sided Enhanced Matte Epson Paper.
Print on that. Its the shit.

Jun 16, 05 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah, i would go with an epson paper or another paper that is suited for an inkjet. you want your work to look as good as possible don't ya? after all you are be judged by the quality of your work and not by a unique paper that you might find. sure you can run other paper through an ink jet but it's likely that the ink will spread some or the color will not look as good. epson has a broad selection of papers from matte to gloss, double thicks, and double sideds.

Jun 16, 05 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
dillup.

i second bluegrass - red river paper. that's what i used. though be careful about what printer you use with it. if you just take it to kinko's it's rather a waste, however i have no suggestions besides doing it yourself if you have a nice printer.

Jun 16, 05 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
e

i've found that kinko's is always a waste.

Jun 16, 05 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
tman

i have a hp 11x17 deskjet printer. The only problem i've noticed, is that although it prints very very nicely, if you print lots of black, you'll notice some lines that are from the roller that moves the paper. I always print at the printer's highest ability (about 5-10 min a page) but it still leaves the marks. I'm sure it's getting really knit-picky but that's where I'm at right now.

There's some confusion with this topic so far. I'm NOT printing at kinkos and I'm not binding at kinko's.

Jun 16, 05 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
tman

i meant hp 11x17 9600 inkjet printer.

Jun 16, 05 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
mayurp68

try using a high resolution paper, i am using a 180 gram, 7.5 mil water proof paper,

Jun 16, 05 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
tman

just ordered the sample kit from red river paper that gives me every single paper item they have. THanks for the advice

Jun 16, 05 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
joe

any other brands to look at for samples. generic searches for inkjet paper, etc yielded me nothing.

Jun 16, 05 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

Can someone please help me out with paper that I can get internationally? Like sent to Japan. Obviously I am going to look around here but I'm finding it hard to find something like the Epson Double-sided matte equivalent. I bought one paper that looked promising, but sure enough you could see through to the other side. Just how heavy and thick does this paper need to be?

Jun 20, 05 1:35 am  · 
 · 
tman

guiggster, have you checked the itoya store in tokyo?

Jun 20, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
adrineaa

since were on the topic, I am looking to buy a good inkjet printer for home, any suggestions?

Jun 20, 05 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

bump for thablueprintt

Jun 22, 05 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I sent a set of work samples for an upcoming interview that were copied & bound @ Kinko's. Overall, w/ FEDEX running the place, it's a strange experience now. It almost seems para-military, not that there's anything wrong with that, but I miss the pimply faced skae-boarding punks in the oxford shirts. However, the guy, I'll call him Corporal Mike, that did my order managed to punch the holed for the binding on the wrong side of half of my pages. Luckily he figured it out & recopied, & rebound 'em.

At this point, most of us might've been upset, but bearing it (I was). However, Cpl.Mike handed me the whole set, about a $25 job & said "It's on the House." WOW! I thought, thank you, thank you.

Got to the car & thought, 'this set seems a bit thin" (we ArchTs can discern that kind of stuff, ya know). Looked throught the set & Half of the pages were missing.

Long story short - Happy Ending. But, if you take your stuff to Kinko's
keep your eye on your order. As for me, I will still use 'em because they gave me a lot for free, but that's not a glowing endrosement.

Jun 23, 05 8:23 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

On the same note, I got an old set of prints reduced down to 11x17 @ a local Reprographics shop & when i went to put them in my drawing set of other 11x17s, I found that the copies were 11.75x17. Gotta watch 'em all, even the ones you consider good. Maybe that's why I'm trying to leave this goofy town.

Jun 23, 05 8:25 am  · 
 · 
Kai

I'm not sure why everyone is so hung up on having paper so thick you can't see through it. I used Strathmore premium recyced 80lbs drawing paper and it worked fine and it was dirt cheap, one 18 x 22" pad cost like $13 and I got 6 or 7 portfolios out of it. Sure you could see through it some as you turned the page but not when it is laying flat. Almost every magazine has very see through pages and it doesn't bother most people. Also, its not fun to try to flip through something with pages like cardboard, or a rigid cover.

Jun 23, 05 11:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: