Archinect
anchor

Changing profession (for now)

da_la

Without going back to school, what kind of jobs do you think an architect / architecture graduate can apply for these days (besides architecture ofcourse)?

Sep 8, 11 9:39 pm
BrianYamagata

Seeing as you're currently in the design field, it would be safe to assume that you'd be interested doing something creative and technologically inclined. Something to keep in mind is that pretty much every field that shares the architectural language has it's own dialect...if that makes sense. 

Graphic design is something that's possible, but you'd need to be fluent in the software and design methodology of product development and marketing. 

Video game design is something that's possible, but you'd need familiarity in the programs used as well as a strong skillset in animation.

User Experience design is a possibility, but you'd need not only the software expertise, but also the socio-economic knowledge to produce designs that would be effective.

The good news is that as architects we are trained to be flexible, innovative and adaptable. The term "if you set your mind to it" may possibly suited for architects. Just figure out what you're interested in, and find the time and patience to become an expert at it as you had with architecture.

In regards to going back to school or not, Youtube, forums, and other sites can all easily allow someone to self-teach a new program or talent.

My 2cents.

Sep 8, 11 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
pale shelter

I continue to find in these vague career questions, responses to the likings of graphic design, video game design and other user interface / computer software / photoshop tweaking / flash driven new-age media jobs. Maybe I'm turned away because of my bias towards thinking architecture is a "professional career" - one that is multi-dimensional and challenging but to the most regard - important. A romantic here at age 28 perhaps. I don't mean to diminish these jobs as I'm quite intrigued by them myself, but I just would hope to consider that those who have successfully completed their rigorous 5 to 7 (wow) years of architectural education to be the top performers/ the top 10% / those that reach far and grasp the more challenging and rewarding careers. With architects diminishing their role enough in the profession of building, I don't find it surprising that 'c.a.d. monkeys' are turning into game developers. In other words, the prestigious career of building the city is put on par with temporary, less important, small scale 'things'. Take that however you want, but yes, I'm holding Architect to a higher standard.

But I reply because I was just going to ask  a similar question to Archinect: "what else can ambitious architects do who want more out of their job/career - where even designing, delivering, and administrating high quality projects is not quite rewarding enough because - quite frankly - the pay is aweful" >. That's right. And no ultra liberal not-for-the-money bs comments please.  Fair pay is important. The fact that we design, deliver, manage engineers, city council, propose, codes, energy model, push for energy standards, etc etc and we get paid pennies for it. - Or we negotiate our pathetic enterprise away - the idea that providing more services like energy modeling or LEED for "free" and part of our basic package - yes, a reality of the current times to get a job, but not a reality for most business I'd argue. Who does this? I have to keep up with learning more software and more energy code standards and changing local standards to just keep my job and our firm to be in the competition...

Pathetic, because I know even with my only (or NOT only, but proud) 5 years of experience , I have cousins scanning clothes at target for 5k more and better benefits - a 23 year old making 2k a week at a law firm INTERNSHIP * - a 26 year old telling computer script writers what to do in a word doc for 115k - I see gas stations advertising jobs with "3 years of sales experience" making what I make (45k) - a 27 year old selling med devices for 100k. *I made $12/hr at a top design firm last summer between jobs. You all know of this. This is the reality of architect pay. It is commensurate with JCPenny's floor managers w/ 3 years experience.

>>to: da_la - take a damn business coarse or 2 or 3 and another few.  I ask our interns how many business courses they've had during their incredible 7 years of schooling. None. No idea how to negotiate or provide services in any kind of economy. No regard to making money. This is bad business, and I'm frustrated with working with architects who don't make good business out of such an important job.

Sep 8, 11 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
da_la

I agree with paleshelter, going into graphic design/video games/UX etc. would be staying in the same environment of low pay, unemployment, long hours in front of the computer and the like.

I am more interested in ideas on job opportunities outside of the architecture field. Frankly, I have friends & relatives that earned a business/economics degree (3 years of education), and they got trained ‘on the job’. They tell me that anyone can do their job.
So the question is, can you apply for these jobs or you have to get a B.A degree to be considered (even though you have an M.arch).
+ It seems that architects are always complaining about the low wages. Once you open your own firm, can/do things get better (moneywise)?

Sep 9, 11 12:23 am  · 
 · 
BrianYamagata

What I was trying to stress is that with the current state of the economy, employment rates, etc...without the proper education it's going to be near impossible to find a job in that specific industry/field. There's so many people getting degrees, and not enough jobs to fulfill them. That's the fact of the matter.

With an architecture degree/background, and no desire to continue education, the only jobs you'd be realistically able to obtain are in the more general jobs positions. Sales, etc.

You could possibly get a position somewhere in the trade/craft industry, but one thing to keep in mind is that employers DO in fact look to see if someone is overqualified.

Architecture is an over-glorified, struggling industry and as pale implied...only the strong will survive. 

In regards to starting your own firm, assuming you're licensed or partner with a licensed architect, the revenue will be determined entirely on what you are able to market and offer versus the current location's competition. An entire clientele will need to be established and the firm will need to establish a positive reputation. 

Sep 9, 11 12:31 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

How about marketing? You can use design and project management skills, come up with ideas and execute them. Not sure how to break into it though.

Sep 9, 11 9:21 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

perhaps property management? 

I've found it difficult to convince interviews that I won't leave for them for the first available architecture job

Sep 9, 11 10:23 am  · 
 · 
trace™

First thing is that you need to recognize that just because you have a degree in architecture does not, necessarily, qualify you for anything else.  Graphics, web, etc., will still require a fair amount of learning (I took many courses and years of learning before  I considered myself a "professional").  It is quite annoying when "architects" think that just because they have years of education that they are qualified, or even over qualified, to work in other design fields.  

Marketing - you'll need some business knowledge.  More or less depending, as it is a very broad term that is used from the advertisement design to the strategy.

Sep 9, 11 11:50 am  · 
 · 
da_la

Even though I posted this topic, just thinking about working in Marketing/sales and the like just gives me the chills. Could that mean I am too passionate about architecture, and I'm destined to continue in this struggling field?

Sep 10, 11 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Not really, sales is something some thrive at, others hate.  Everyone loves the "idea" of architecture, it is the reality of the profession some don't care for.

You really need to keep your eyes open.  I thought I'd hate the business side of things, compared to the design, but I have really grown to appreciate it.  It is what makes things happen, and without it there would be no design.  I thought it'd be more of a means to an end, but I do enjoy much more than I thought I would (I like when it all comes together).

So look around, you really don't know until you truly dive in, and even then, it can take years to really know.

[While I do love the business side, I would not care for it if it were not directly connected to the creative side. So things like property management would seem like a sure way to a slow death, unless you were making 7 figures...;-) ]

Sep 10, 11 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I do quite a bit of marketing, it is very creative.

Sep 12, 11 8:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: