Archinect
anchor

We all know, Architects need civil engineers, The Question is - Do Civil Engineers need Architects?

laistm

The title says it all!! I want to hear what you have to say!!

Sep 8, 11 12:00 pm
3tk

For what?  Most site design/road work, no.  Occasionally if there's a larger structure that needs to be thought out (ie not available off the shelf).  Essentially if the engineers feel comfortable that everything meets code and that they are not at risk legally, they'll proceed w/o one.

Back when I was in CE we didn't have a whole lot of work that warranted an architect.  Occasionally we'd have an architect help us with rendered buildings for developments (one of those "you scratch my back, we'll scratch yours" deals where we'd ask them for a bit of work to help us with approvals and bring them on board later for the buildings).

Sep 8, 11 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
dassouki

I think eventually we'll have a discipline that units the two. I'm a civil that loves architecture and design; Technically I can only work with one, but I would love a discipline that combines the two: "Engitect"? "archineer"?

Sep 8, 11 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I've worked with engineers that had architects on staff to do the 'design-y' stuff, like bridge railings/lighting/details.  

Sep 8, 11 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
JsBach

Up until ADA starting being inforced by cities and then states, I built many buildings where the only stamp was from a structural engineer. In Texas, unless you were in one of the big cities, it just wasn't necessary to have an architects stamp. I see lots of developers and construction firms with architects on staff where they aren't the prime decision makers. Even architectural firms more often than not are just doing what they are told by the developer.

Now it's Leed that seems to be the thing everyone talks about. It's good that we are being forced to think about sustainable design, but I don't see that you have to be an architect to make an energy efficient building. I can see the day when the architect just goes away,  contractors and stuctural engineers can build buildings, and civil engineers do their job pretty much without much involvement by us. I could see having a designer type of person  around for the aesthetics, but I wouldn't be surprised if many developers see architects as a necessary evil, rather than a benefit to the project.

I know this doesn't directly address civil engineers much, but what unique skills are architects bringing to the building team that can't be replaced. A good contractor can coordinate a building project. What would be lost from cutting the architect out of most of the construction industry.

Sep 8, 11 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
calculator

@JsBach

Design?

If you're an architect and the civil engineer can do what you do, you aren't doing your job.

Sep 9, 11 8:58 am  · 
 · 
dassouki

@calculator for 90% time yes. as 90% of the buildings that require an arch and civ are "simple" in nature. 10% of the projects fall under complicated but doable (Gehry) or complicated an undoable (60m cantilever span that holds 5 roofs and and dancing arena.

Sep 9, 11 9:45 am  · 
 · 
JsBach

Calculator, what I am saying is that most developers and end users don't value the design as much as they do a well built building that comes in on time and on budget. The layout and function of the building as well as how it looks certainly has value, but some people don't always weigh that value as high as we do as architects. I am probably being a bit negative, but I've seen  too many projects where the architect has very little influence amongst the total design team. In worst case scenarios we can be just a rubber stamp for legal reasons.

I am surprised that the architects and related subs are still mostly separate entities. I would think that design teams with a more integrated approach would have taken over the business, with architects and all the engineers, even the developers under one roof.

Sep 9, 11 10:01 am  · 
 · 
3tk

I believe there's a book on "archineering" written by Helmut Jahn's prime consultant, see also Balmond, Nervi; I'd say ARUP's getting there, but on a mid tier everyday project, too many cive's are going to think they're good designers too (but then again a lot of mediocre architects produce the same stuff).  Best case scenario architects and engineers push each other and feed off of that energy, but too many cases of "not worth the effort" on both sides and everyone loses.

Sep 9, 11 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Also, remember landscape architects too.  Depending on the type of site planning/development task, they can do some of what a site dvlpt civil engineer does too.

Sep 9, 11 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: