Archinect
anchor

Is there a market for a small GC/engineering firm that is 3D based

dmthurman

Out of curiosity, is there a need amongst smaller architectural firms for a GC of residential/light commerical that has 2 catia seats, Solidworks, rhino, fluid in all phases of 3D, and in house 3 axis CNC router? I've got a group of 4 people all around 50 and are considering moving towards a model based paradigm in Relationship to how the GC- Architect communicates. We have a number of reasons that we think this may be valuable but we are starting to ask around to architects that we know, (Unfortunately most of them are our age and are somewhat befuddled by 3D) I thought I would just survey this site and hear all opinions.....

Cheers,
David

May 26, 05 6:27 pm
dmthurman

I thought I would add, our specialty is process engineering, not design. We really have no desire to get into designing, since it's much more fun to sit back and go "Oh that's ugly, glad I didn't draw it"....We feel that our client base are architects and/or niche clients......

May 26, 05 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
archoholic

Don't call us, we'll call you.......

May 26, 05 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
dmthurman

ok I'll take that as a definitive no. Do you want to elaborate a bit on why?

May 26, 05 7:35 pm  · 
 · 

unfortunately, i think archoholic may be representing us very well. (or maybe he is. we tend to give flippant answers to newcomers who appear to have something to sell.)

but, to the point. sure, i think those architects who are also already working in 3d generation of their production drawings would be excited to connect with you. it would likely be younger offices or those around cities with arch schools. (a lot of us are still doing production in 2d despite maybe doing schematic in 3d. more a function of squeezing the last bit out of our investment in AutoCad and fear of the lost time in the learning curve than lack of desire to get into 3d production.)

the key for you, i'll guess, will not be marketing on the web. it will be attempting to find your market in your local area through visiting young offices and attempting to get plugged in to who is doing what. building relationships is still of primary importance, despite the new tools.

May 26, 05 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
archoholic

I won't speak for everyone of course, but most architects also use those programs/machines and can complete 90% of the "process engineering" work in house for said smaller projects. Plus your attitude smacks of disrespect for design.

May 26, 05 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
dmthurman

Archoholic
If we really disrespected design, we'd do it ourselves and then sit back and say GAWD THAT"S UGLY TOO BAD WE DESIGNED IT....:D I have a profound admiration for people like Gehry, pushing the envelop, murcutt's great little gems, and sverre fehn and the very cool way he put buildings together. What we are more interested in rather than actually doing the design work is to help expidite it more efficently, and transparently for all parties involved. We are actually more interested in tying it backend it into a ERP system that is Under a single Database such as Sql or Oracle. Actually I probably originally posted the question wrong. We are and can be proficent in 3D but our expertise and the part we bring would be the Management aspect. Programs like Catia are a perfect fit for such a management system since the compents of the structure are data sets.
I might add that it would be possible for Architects to move further into construction management but then hey you'd all of to get rid of your fancy loafers and Deiter outfits and trade them in for OMG KAKI'S and Redwings.........:D

PS. I"m not trying to sell anything either other than what we already do. And yes Steve those are the people that we have started to think about in regards to this idea......

May 26, 05 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
Kevin_in_Denver

Oooh, the footwear reference was the kiss of death for your idea around here.

Architects always say solid modelers like Solidworks just don't work for them. I'm convinced they're wrong and am pursuing it. Have you had any luck?

Jun 13, 08 1:03 am  · 
 · 

Loafers?

What city are you in, dm? I am guessing Los Angeles ...

Jun 13, 08 1:52 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I think Steven Ward's last paragraph is spot on. You're offering what can be a global solution but need to build your chops locally through people willing to experiment with what you're offering.

I wear jeans and boots most work days. You need to find architects who are enamored enough of the "making" side of architecture that they do the same. Love, liberty bell, RA

Jun 13, 08 9:35 am  · 
 · 

wow i sounded smart in '05. i don't have time to sound that smart anymore.

Jun 13, 08 9:37 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

There's a good demand for the service your describing in select markets DM. Really the only two that come to mind in the U.S. are New York and L.A., particularly high-end retail. There's hardly a store in SoHo that doesn't have some element of computer-made 3d pomposity to it. I met a lady who worked at a GC and she said that whenever her clients requested constructs with highly complex geometry and small tolerances they always have to outsource the work to Europe (the Germans and Italians specifically) for fabrication.

Jun 13, 08 9:47 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Holy crap, I didn't even notice this post was that old!

Jun 13, 08 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Wow, me neither!

Good necro kevin.

Jun 13, 08 10:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: