Archinect
anchor

Thoughts on SketchUp?

Jefferson

I have a copy but haven't learned it yet? Is it a very useful design tool? Do alot of firms reconize it's worth, ie. on a resume - is it worth adding to the list of programs that I know?

thx

May 20, 05 3:22 pm

absolutely it's worth adding to the list of programs you know - once you do know it. some are using it.

it's been a topic of threads before, so you should search them out. it's a good tool, kind of fluky, not terribly accurate, but good for working things in 3d fast. exports to cad, but i've always found that i redraw everything anyway. keep in mind the name is 'SKETCH-up' and you'll be okay.

May 20, 05 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

Go to the website and check out the galleries of work that people are using it for (the main gallery and the one that is in the user forum) People are doing some pretty complex models with it.

May 20, 05 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

for a better idea of what sketch-up can do, check out the user forum pushpullbar.

May 20, 05 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Doug Johnston

i love sketchup! its a great design-aid tool. once you get the hang of it, it really is like sketching in 3d. very easy to learn too.

May 20, 05 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

not terribly accurate... Like any CAD it's as accurate as you wish to draw.

May 20, 05 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
geno

sketchup is great...as long as you know when to leave it behind and move on to more sophisticated tools.

awesome for working out concepts and grabbing fast rudimentary sections.

the tutorial is 30 minutes. can't beat that.

May 20, 05 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
SullivanJ

Put it on your resume for sure. I put it on mine, interviewers brought it up in the interview, asked me what I used it for etc. If you don't know any other 3d programs I would add it to your resume after you learn it, which shouldn't take long.

May 20, 05 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

I was a beta tester for Sketch Up. The company is based out of Boulder, CO . . . right down the street for me. They have been awesome to work with, and give out college a lot of support.

Sketch up is great! It is easy to learn, and you can do some quick studies. Geno makes a great point though, move onto other tools. I would not begin a model in sketch up, or do a whole project in it. It is more of a study tool for forms and lighting (well, that is what I use it for). I highly recommend it.

On another note . . . a few months ago, I had a class of 7th graders come to the college. They wanted a "hard/soft" experience . . . building a computer model, then a physical model of their school. These kids learned sketch up in no time! we imported their schools floor plans, and they built the general shape. Then they printed out different views with measurements and took that to make a physical model. They told me they were having a great time, which made me feel good.

But yeah, if 7th graders can use it, so can anyone else.

May 20, 05 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
justflow

sketchup is a great tool to fool around with...I don't think i'd ever design in it, but I use it all the time for quick tracing patterns that I do a nice hand perspective over........no way to get the necessary lines faster when theres no right angles

May 21, 05 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Jordan Lloyd

Yes, my firm uses it all the time for initial massing models and contextual analysis and solar studies - its an incredibly useful tool to learn, so make sure you go through all the tutorials on the website!

May 21, 05 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

There are several people working on sketch-up in my office. What I don't get is people spend all their time looking for components to download from the internet. There are several "interior perspectives" (4 walls and furniture) being generated with components found on the internet: art work, furniture, equipment. Blenders and stools and picture frames? Everyone thinks it's great - "gives a good idea of what the space is". My ass, I think it looks like a stupid dollhouse.

Sep 8, 08 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
Jordan Lloyd

The Sketchup community forums are great at showing what you can actually do with the program if you get any good.

http://www.sketchucation.com/forums/scf/index.php

There have been some pretty advanced results with a little perseverence.

Sep 8, 08 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

I would say skip over sketchup and go right to a more powerful tool so you don't get too dumbed down

Rhinoceros, it can open and save to sketchup and google earth formats and it IS accurate and CAN handle big complex models very well, and be interoperable to all other cadd systems for reproduction in the 2d paper or 3d prototypical sense.

If you want the sketch look just add Penguin and turn on display modes.

even over on pushpullbar there are people who will give you their honest assessment as many here have: that it is not a professional tool to send out final work from.

on another note i would rather not be dependent on large corporations like autodesk, adobe and google. the fact that there are more powerful and cheaper to free alternatives is important. Diversifying your skill set so you can take action in different environments is very important.

know it all ok, but don't waste your time, it's too valuable

Sep 8, 08 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

the only thing sketchup is useful for is shadow studies, imho.
It was quite interesting when they started the whole edge modeling idea, but it never matured beyond that. Its been essentially the same for about 3 years now.
Anti, any idea how to do quick sunlight studies in Rhino?

Sep 8, 08 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i use it only to sketch over for hybrid drawings.

i'll concur, it should never be used as a final render/pro tool.

i've seen some interesting sketch up images rendered in max that were passable, though.

Sep 8, 08 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

i'm still learning....not a Ninja sketchup dude yet!

Sep 8, 08 9:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: