Archinect
anchor

Ridiculous descriptive words for architecture

brown666

blobitecture sucks

Jul 12, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 

this project is "an object in the landscape" pisses me right off!

Jul 12, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

I recently conversed with a friend and we shared a mutual frustration with the phrase "built domain"/"built environment." But when confronted with the task of locating equally all-encompassing nomenclature of the Built Domain, we could not think of a superior alternative. In lieu of alternatives, we concluded that the replacement is "Dirty Sanchez."

Jul 12, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
S32

"Voyeurism"

Jul 27, 07 10:45 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

architectural sex

Jul 27, 07 10:45 am  · 
 · 
cf

We got more money for the facade, now we can sex it up.

Jul 27, 07 10:48 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Spetacular make me sick.

Jul 27, 07 10:54 am  · 
 · 
Liebchen

"Clean lines." Straight from TV...its the opposite of 'traditional' btw.

Jul 27, 07 10:54 am  · 
 · 
lmnop15

I don't like it when people replace the world "Building" with "Architecture"
As in, "Look at that architecture" instead of "Look at that building"

"Aesthetically pleasing" also makes me want to vomit.

Jul 27, 07 11:12 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

kind of what we are talking about here:

i hate it when people say "that architect building on campus"

it's architecture, thank you

Jul 27, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

"architectural" is the worst word in the world right now. i hate it.

"oh, yes, it's very architectural."

"could it, perhaps, be more architectural?"

"i really like the architectural aspects of that."

absolutely meaningless.

Jul 27, 07 11:31 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

we are going to put some bricks on this facade here, make it really architectural. it will give it great curb appeal.

oh please.

Jul 27, 07 11:32 am  · 
 · 

... anytime you hear 'architectural' it's usually bad news.

My Dad: 'So, how are you doing in architectural school these days?'

He also called the A+A 'The Architectural Building'

Jul 27, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
cf

We need "more architecturalization" at the front door (main facade).

What, is that like "more cowbell"?

Jul 27, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito
"...what drives your design process..."

sorry but i really found that phrase quite lame.... dont really know why, but generated short circuits in my head....

Jul 27, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

"the ineluctable modality of the visible"

i love this phrase. it's from a portrait of the artist as a young man. it's complicated, but not in a dumb way (and it was spoken by the young protagonist). one of the great quotes from modern literature.

okay, back to ridiculous words...

Jul 27, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
phillipmo

organic.

overused. just because a building has a curve... doesn't make it reminiscent of some biological form.

Jul 27, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
cf

If it has already been noted, it should be again:
[huge_red_font]S U S T A I N A B L E[/huge_red_font]

Jul 27, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

totally agree, phillipmo.

other words to consider or not

"strategically"

"take this further" - by which they usually mean just arbitrarily add more stuff to it and make it look bigger and ostentatious

"permeability"

Jul 27, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

sustainable is the worst of the worst of the worst worst worst.

Jul 27, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
phillipmo

showcase

gahhhhhh....

Jul 27, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Words often used to over-rationalize the existence of more than one element or material composition:

1. Transmogrification
2. Compendium
3. Myriad
4. Symbiosis
5. Juxtaposition
6. Dichotomy
7. Chasm

In other words, it seems that anything beyond a solid block of concrete can generate architectural discourse. Obsessive-compulsive Architects have a propensity for it....

Jul 27, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
AP

i just listened to / watched the Steven Holl interview posted by bojangles...

Holl uses the word hybrid in place of mixed-use. "this is a hybrid building...it has housing, offices, gallery space, there's everything in this building..."

Jul 27, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

I salute any biological analogy when referencing Architectural design, but I thought Hybrid referred to cross-species fertilization, which is limited at (2) and cannot accurately describe so many things as listed by Holl...he should know better than that. What extraneous word would better replace mixed-use, an other wise perfectly word(s)? How about programmatically variegated?
Is that verbose enough?

Jul 27, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

salivating

Jul 27, 07 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

the major one here is for any house with a pool and deck is called Island Chic. WTF? The look completely different - but its a nice way for the realtors to attempt to talk the talk with us architects

the can bite my arse!

Jul 27, 07 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
"this abode to poetic decisiveness was further celebrated with an intervention by the unadulating party wall, a strategic move for a episodical sustainable etiquette. all things in red come back with determined ecstacy. this is design with an understated capital D. green to the core"

i am practicing for my magazine debut...

fart...

Jul 27, 07 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

brian frels (way up at the top) - Did Jencks really say "exstatic" and not "ecstatic"...? Just curios...Nigel Coates' "ecstacity"...then I start googling and come across this...And finally end up finding this diamond:

[...] we will look at Moving/Image/Architecture as a fundamentally ex-static activity; we will seek the Moving/Image/Architecture of desire through the desire for Moving/Image/Architecture. This approach, which also manifests itself in the work of poets, painters, photographers etc., offers invariably a double horizon, that of present, ongoing reality and that of future possibility. As such it offers both the diagnosis and the prescription.

To me Course/Unit descriptions have got to a major source for architectural BS'ing. It's almost a bit like reading spam...

Jul 28, 07 5:46 am  · 
 · 
Michael Pardek

A bunch of us made this faux-thesis plate during our undergrad to describe studio architecture....presenting Shapeitecture:

http://www.archinect.com/gallery/albums/userpics/THE%20SHAPEITECHTURE%20PLATE.jpg

Jul 29, 07 9:40 am  · 
 · 
n_

punctilious

Jul 30, 07 10:06 am  · 
 · 
ryanj

anthropomorphism

Jul 30, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 
brandimcarthur

"Bevel adjacent". 

Nov 2, 23 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Bespoke = cringe 

Nov 3, 23 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Necromantic Thread

Nov 4, 23 11:00 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Architecture isn't political.

Nov 4, 23 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: