Archinect
anchor

movable dwellings

aml

i'm searching for a lost link, or any additional links on movable dwellings... prefabricated modules that can be transported or moved from place to place... there was a link some time back to a site for a proyect that would inhabit the roofs of buildings, and could be transported via chopper to another roof...

basically i need to develop a list of good references as a stepping stone for a studio project i'm proposing with fellow teachers... these links would be cross-referenced with informal activities in the streets of south america and yet again with research on archigram projects and guy debord readings.

it's really the transportable issue that interests us here more than the dwelling component.

some good links here but i'm looking for more:
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=P3451_0_42_0_C

so, any takers/suggestions? see, not only students are using archinect as a shortcut.

May 12, 05 10:20 pm
Bula

sorry....couldn’t resist

May 12, 05 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

Start with Jennifer Siegal's work at the Office of Mobile Design. She supposedly considers any architecture you can't take with you to be an affront to personal liberty... or so some of her propaganda states. Also, Lucy Orta is a slow place to start. Smale scale and too artsy, but atleast it's out there.

.mm

May 13, 05 1:40 am  · 
 · 
aml

bula, i actually appreciate any post that will bump the thread up so its still visible... and anyways rv's are an example after all...

mmatt, thanks for the siegal tip, i was trying to remember her name.

j, thanks but no access to libraries whatsoever. my library is the web.

the specific project i'd like to find was posted on archinect a whiles ago.. the website was very informative, i think the architects were german but i'm not sure... there were comments on parallels to bucky fuller's dymaxion house but aesthetically this was very modernist, more similar to siegel... there was a graphic that showed how the house could be lifted and transported to another rooftop via chopper... the unit tied into the building's mechanical systems for water, power, etc... anyone remember this link?

[i had it in my links but my computer died a whiles ago so i lost all my favorites]

May 13, 05 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
aml

and mmatt, yes thanks i have looked at orta, she's mentioned on the other archinect thread i'm linking to in the original post... a good reference.

May 13, 05 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
greenmach

what about MVRDV's shipping container project?
how tired are we of the shipping container?

May 13, 05 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I love my 4 season 3 man tent.

May 13, 05 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
greenmach

as do i love my 1970 VW van.

May 13, 05 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

here's a floater...

May 13, 05 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
aml

great, keep them coming! the city we'll be working on is crisscrossed by estuaries so very relevant.

greenmach, i've looked at mvrdv and it's a possible source although the scale they're working at is much bigger.

May 13, 05 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
Sylvester
rutger

How about the housing boat, or woonboot as we call them in the netherlands. If you type woonboot in the google image search there are many examples. Most of them are probably not 'architecture' but there are some dutch architects who designed a wonderfull woonboot. For example Micha de Haas and Herman Hertzberger (he calls them watervilla)

this one is by Micha de Haas

May 14, 05 10:34 am  · 
 · 
aml

thanks sylvester and rutger, that is very useful...

bump-a-bump bumping this thread in case there's any other suggestions...

May 16, 05 9:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: