Archinect
anchor

CV / Resume - information to include

bilbobobo

Hey guys - working on my CV over here and had a couple of questions I thought I'd throw at the hive mind.

1) What kind of information do you want to have for individual projects listed in your CV?  I'm assuming general 'what it is', area, budget, and my responsibilities on the project.

2) What projects do I list in my CV?  Everything little thing I worked on, or just significant (by duration or program) projects?  I've got 6 years experience and I was thinking of including about 5-6 projects in the CV.

3) Do I want to include references in the CV, or include them in the cover letter, or hold them until interview time?

Thanks!

Sep 1, 11 7:22 pm
junior

include in CV:

1) name (contact info)

2) education

3) relevant work experience, including skills gained and applicable professional projects

4) references

If the file is in pdf format, you could make your CV a page before your work samples. Have your document in this order, at least it is how I have managed to organize things: Cover Letter, CV, work samples. Cover letter mainly highlights your personality/goals; a quick overview of your educational and professional experiences, as well as what aspirations you have of working within your applicable firm of choice. Be enthusiastic, yet to the point.

Sep 2, 11 1:46 am  · 
 · 
bilbobobo

Thanks Junior. I'm really curious about points 1 & 2. Just what kind, how thorough, of a project information section is desireable?

Sep 2, 11 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Do a google search for "architect resume."  You'll find dozens of useful examples--from the very good to the absolutely awful.  Look at a dozen or two and see which ones suit you.  As for project information, don't load it on, but keep it basic: size/area; program; budget; your contribution, in a few bullet points per project, then move on.

As for references: conventional wisdom argues for keeping them off your resume or CV, and providing them if asked after an initial contact or interview.

Sep 2, 11 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
archibernating

A good recruiter advised me to list projects you were involved with in a systematic easy to read format, one that includes name of the project, type, size, primary responsibility, year of construction and budget if you know it.  Don't need to include all projects, just ones relevant for the position.

If you have a lot of projects that you worked on, have a separate project summary documents that lists all of your projects and all of the responsibilities you had in them.  This actually helps you more than it helps the employer as it refreshes your memory and keeps track of  some experiences you may have forgotten about. 

I also think references need to be kept off until they ask for them.

Sep 3, 11 5:55 am  · 
 · 
bilbobobo

Thanks guys!

Sep 4, 11 10:01 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

where is 'over here'? in EU, all the resumes i saw had professors studied under, profile pic, grades - and made law school CVs look weak.

Sep 6, 11 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: