Archinect
anchor

job market in bay area

sarasen

Looking to move to California (preferably bay area) but open to LA or San diego from New York. Out of work right now, how's the market for 5+ years of experience, recently got licenced.

Sep 1, 11 6:13 pm
sfer

I live in SF, and things are pretty bad, though "at least we have the teck sector."  I wouldn't move here without a job, as many other op's have been warned.  Of the folks I know: the firm my dh works for went from 8 people to 3 (the 3 most senior).  The ones at your experience level are working for contractors or not working.  My friend (15 yrs exp. - I'm older.) was out of work for two years but recently found work.  I'm a sole practioner / freelancer (15 yrs exp.) who's gone from making about $50k / year (part time while raising kids) to making about $18k / year.  I watch the AIA job board at my level, but only two jobs have been posted all summer that I thought I could get hired for (sent resumes - got one interview but no job).  The number of postings is misleading because each firm wants to (and can) hire exactly what they need - whether it's 5 years' exp. in hospitality with revit, or 4 years' exp. in TI with vectorworks.  But if you see a listing that describes you well, jump on it and list your address at your friend's house (you do have a friend here hopefully), and be willing to fly in by the next day at noon.

Sep 2, 11 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

i agree that you need a job in hand before making the move to california.

in the meantime, work on getting your license in california if you don't have it already. leed accreditation will be beneficial in your job search, as well as practical revit experience especially in larger firms.

Sep 2, 11 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

It's rough out here in the bay area....firms that do K-12 are fairly busy with modernizations, kitchen remodels are out there for those into that, commercial is dead. Marry someone with money, and you'll be fine.

Sep 2, 11 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
HandRenderer247

You're way ahead of me. You have more experiences than I do and knowing that you're licensed and out of work makes me think I have no shot at this game. I'm seriously contemplating on 'bailing' from the world of architecture. If there's anything I know, the economy has taught me one thing: Don't do what you love. Do what you can do to survive. Follow the money because it's all about corporate greedy in this shady economy. This is capitalism at it's finest. Good luck.

Sep 8, 11 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

HandRenderer247

Your not alone.  I love architecture but can not survive if I keep this hopeless job search up any longer...

Three months ago I had dreams of starting a firm in 5 years, now I am thinking of starting up a  foodtruck business!

Fuck!!!

Sep 8, 11 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

sfer

So correct - I work in at a small office up in North Beach doing TI for tech ,venture, law and now a cloud company. Got the gig because I have 3 years of Revit exp. As far as jobs are concerned - if you don't have exactly what they are looking for, forget it. I have found I need to step up my game considerably. Also many firms want ability, not experience. 

from a notable Bay Area Firm that recently received some high profile work.

Qualifications Include: • Bachelor's degree in architecture [master's degree preferred] • 0-3 years of experience in an architecture office [internships not counted] • Proven excellence in design and presentation skills • Excellent verbal and written communication skills • Fluency in Revit, AutoCAD and other 3D modeling software [Rhino/3D Max] • Fluency with Adobe Creative Suite • Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite [Excel, Word, Outlook, Powerpoint]

Sep 8, 11 11:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: