Archinect
anchor

The Poor

Shellaby

Disclaimer: I already know this is a dumb question to ask considering how hard it is to get work in the field of architecture already. But I'm interested.

I'm interested in learning more about architecture for the poor - housing, community, and all that. Who are the thinkers out there in the field of architecture for this topic? What schools offering March I's are good in this area? (Besides Auburn, I suppose.)

May 10, 05 10:22 pm
ichweiB

you might check DI's website. I know they had an article a while back you could look up via the archieves...they featured an architect/professor who specializes in development for the poor classes in our society(ie project housting,etc) you may be able to find out where he teaches.

May 10, 05 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Have a look at the works of Lacaton & Vassal.

May 11, 05 4:18 am  · 
 · 
nervoussystem
http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/9879.html

that guy is at UC Berkeley

May 11, 05 8:03 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Extreme House Makeover. You know, that TV show.

j/k

May 11, 05 8:45 am  · 
 · 
4arch

A lot of schools have jumped on the bandwagon to put together programs similar to rural studio more because it's popular/trendy than because they have a faculty as passionate about the subject as Mockbee. In selecting a school I'd focus more on choosing one that will do the best job teaching design.

There are plenty of organizations out there doing architectural work for the poor (in fact, if you are going to be anywhere near Baltimore or Fayetteville, AK this summer I know of a couple who could use a hand), however there are not going to be many paid positions, particularly at the entry level.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, as it's best to get IDP and ARE out of the way within the more traditional/formal structure of a for-profit firm. I'm not trying to diminish the work of non-profits...it's just a reality that most don't have the proper infrastructure for doing IDP. Even if you just plan on staying in academics, institutions seem to be more and more reluctant to hire people who are unlicensed and/or have had no professional experience.

Anyway, if you start out volunteering on the side and stick with it long enough to become indispensable to the organization, they may be able to hire you full time, you might be able to find grant money to pay yourself, or you might be able to use your experience as a leg up to getting an academic position.

May 11, 05 9:04 am  · 
 · 
ether

check out what brian bell is doing these days. last i heard he was in raleigh. maybe teaching at nc state or doing something on his own. he was one of sambo's proteges.

there was a guy i saw lecture at the graham foundation a year or so ago. he was from uva. can't remember the name sorry but i'm sure with a little research you could find him.

May 11, 05 10:32 am  · 
 · 
yoiyoi

maurice cox, i think...

May 11, 05 10:46 am  · 
 · 
ether

yep, that's it! thanks yoi!

May 11, 05 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Suture

didnt your momma teach you anything????

"ARCHITECTURE (either as a profession/ service/ product) is not for the POOR!"

May 11, 05 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Mockbee is one of the best places to go. He's done some amazing work with his students. Check out this book feat. his project, the Rural Studio.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1568982925/103-8609397-1397425?v=glance

Also, Public Architecture is an organization that does pro-bono work. It's not necessarily "for the poor" but the idea of donating work is at the forefront of their concerns.

http://publicarchitecture.org/how.htm

May 11, 05 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
ether

if you can find it, sambo's first book "mockbee coker thought and process" by laurie ryker (sp) would be a good resource. most of the book is about what he and coleman were doing in rural mississippi and predates the rural studio.

May 11, 05 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

aside...

i hate saying "rural" aloud.

i think it's an awful sounding word that makes you feel like you screwed up saying it when you say it. it mocks you.

May 11, 05 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

ARCHITECTURE for the POOR - sounds like an antithesis, but a noble one at that

May 11, 05 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
jtelnack

late

May 12, 05 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
archoholic

yeah

May 12, 05 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman

There is a book entitled "Architecture for the Poor" by Hassan Fathy. I thought it was very good. He has written other books with the same thread. Also Charles Correa has written about the subject.

May 12, 05 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I am doing volunteer design services for poor peeps. Remodeling a shelter house with paints and artwork, furnishings.

Going to do a press release to get in the newspaper.

I get to go "art shopping" tomorrow with a friend, an interior designer. Will be fun! They gave us quite an allowance once we proved some worth to them.

May 12, 05 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Tom Dutton at Miami University has been doing good for decades - well before all this was hip (and not to disparage hip do-gooders: that's still good). One of the most self-effacing, and reasonable individuals I have ever met.... he knows how the system works and has published virtually nothing out of what I can only guess is principal.

May 13, 05 1:55 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

Earthquake relief housing in Turkey by Shigeru Ban.
link

May 13, 05 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Janosh -

He should publish!

If anything, it'll make other architects and philanthropists aware of these things and encourage them.

May 13, 05 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
greenmach

I can't believe Cameron Sinclair hasn't responded to this thread.

I'm tired of people saying that it's frivolous to think about 'good design' for the poor. It seems like the first place that should recieve 'good design' - whatever that means!

Has anyone actually visited the Mockbee town? I wonder what it's like in person. I would suspect that the best thing about Rural Studio isn't even what it created, but the collaboration that created it.

May 13, 05 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
ether

if you are refering to the area where the bryant, harris etc houses are -it's called mason bend not mockbee town.

May 13, 05 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Don't the homeless tend to gravitate towards wooden palettes, tarps, and thick coatings of epidermal filth to house and warm themselves?

There's your answer, and all that stuff can generally be found for free. May as well keep them comfortable with what they're used to.

May 13, 05 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
e

nice manteno, real nice.

May 13, 05 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

I was only kidding. Sorry.

May 13, 05 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
e

that's good.

May 13, 05 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

check out Michael Rios, Terrence Curry, Roberta Feldman, Rex Curry, Shannon Criss, they have all pursued community design and models for disadvantaged communities.

and check out this book: http://archinect.com/books/detail.php?id=P16599_0_25_0_C

May 13, 05 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

sorry all, I was in SF and Madison, Wi giving talks on, well, design for all. I'm not sure if you are looking for community based design like DCDC (Detroit Mercy), Mississippi Stae or Tom Duttons' Center for Community Engagement or a global design studio like Sergio Palleronis' Studio at Large.

Up at MSU we've been doing a global studio though I'm not sure if I'm staying. I am looking at start one up though.

We're also midway through our book - which covers around 60 projects. I'd write about them but this thread would be 200 pages long.

please don't refer to this work as 'Architecture for the poor' it is more like 'architecture for the people' or 'architecture for 99.99998% of the world'...

May 14, 05 11:38 am  · 
 · 
e

'architecture for the people' or 'architecture for 99.99998% of the world'...

well put cameron.

May 14, 05 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Shellaby

please don't refer to this work as 'Architecture for the poor' it is more like 'architecture for the people' or 'architecture for 99.99998% of the world'

Well, yeah, that's how I see it...

May 14, 05 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
e909

These fellows have a huge (PR?) site.
http://www.google.com/search?q=dbarchitect.com+theory
I just recently feel upon it. Lots of "Affordable" projects. It looks as if the site avoids 'theory' except when reprinting blabbage. :-P

'thinking' v 'doing'?

May 15, 05 1:19 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

Have you guys seen this book? Spectacular Vernacular. I was introduced to this book during an earch architecture class taught by Ron Rael.

Interesting, although it explicitly deals with earth building. There are some places where earth building might not last . . . i.e. highly populated urban centers of America.

May 15, 05 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
ether

the best thing about the rs, greenmach, is that its actually been able to sustain itself and exist. not too long ago they didn't know the future of the studio but thankfully it happen to caught the medias attention.

May 16, 05 10:31 am  · 
 · 
SullivanJ

Mockbee, as mentioned above I would look into that more.

May 18, 05 4:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: