Archinect
anchor

ARE concurrent with internship

700c

Has anybody here taken the ARE through Texas or California while they were completing IDP? If so, are you glad you did? Or do you feel it would have been better to wait until you had accumulated more experience? I'm thinking of signing up (2 years out of school).

May 9, 05 7:09 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

i live in jersey and considered it, the only drawback of course is the reciprocity issues, but other than that i think it's a great idea...

May 9, 05 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Yup. Did it... no issues to report.

Some snotty states (oklahoma?) won't give up the certificate right away if it is obvious that you are trying to subvert their system. Most other states don't care.

May 9, 05 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Yeah I started after 2 years as well... no problems, passed all the exams (though I didn't have to do IDP because they didn't require it in CA until now)

May 9, 05 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

I am starting this summer in TX. You only have to have 6 months full time work experience after grad.

Beta, what reciprocity issues?

May 9, 05 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

many states don't care about your license in texas or cali, nj still requires you to meet their requirements for you to practice in nj.

May 9, 05 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
tect75

beta

i actually spoke to the head of the architects board in jersey (live there too, sadly) anyway, he told me there would be no problem with reciprocity as long as i had met all of NJ's requirements (professional degree, completed idp, passed are) he said starting the test early in another state wouldnt be a problem

May 10, 05 10:31 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

tect - that was my point, IDP completion is required for licensing in NJ anyway, but in Texas it is not, hence the issues with reciprocity - if you have a license in Texas, but have not fulfilled NJ requirements, you cannot practice in NJ, regardless of where you are licensed...

May 10, 05 11:35 am  · 
 · 
tect75

right you would still have to finish all the requirements of the state you wish to be registered in regardless of where u get that initial license. i know with fla. u can begin testing after 235 units. so u can test early but they will not issue a license until u prove idp is complete. i guess in general make sure u meet the requirements for the state u ultimately want to practice in. call the state boards to get the latest info.

May 10, 05 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

My understanding of the Texas regs currently are that you still must complete IDP before licensure. Its just that you can take the tests concurrently, rather than waiting until completion.

May 10, 05 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

That's correct. Texas requires IDP for registration. They just don't require IDP to be complete before they allow you to start testing.

May 10, 05 9:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: