Archinect
anchor

Working in Belgium?

NCSUwolf32

Although originally approved for a transfer to Amsterdam, there has been a changeof plans and my wife and I are now moving to Brussels, Belgium in mid January. Aside from the difficulties I might face in attaining a work visa, I'd like to know if there are many employment opportunities for recent B.Arch graduates. I've begun to learn both French and Dutch, but obviously I will not be fluent in either by the time I arrive. As I understand it, they have a rather high unemployment rate of 8.5% so I'll admit that I'm a little worried. Any other information you'd like to share about the architectural community in Brussels would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Aug 31, 11 9:44 am
da_la

Why Brussels?

Sep 3, 11 1:31 am  · 
 · 
usernametaken

And: if Brussels, don't bother learning Dutch. French really is the "lingua franca" there. Personally, I think there are more intesting firms to be found in places like Gent or Antwerp... And the commute from Brussels isn't that bad to either of those cities.

Sep 4, 11 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
NCSUwolf32

da_la,

My wife has been transferred to Brussels. She actually has a job that pays well and provides benefits and this transfer will be very good for her career.

usernametaken,

I'm certainly open to working in other cities if I can find work there. At this point, I'm wondering if I should offer to work for "experience" despite the fact that I'm morally opposed to doing so.

Thank you.

Sep 8, 11 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: