Archinect
anchor

UX + UI + HCI + Interaction Design + Architecture = Design and the Communication between People and Objects

my fault.

MOMA  Talk to Me: Design and the Communication between People and Objects

An exhibition at the MOMA organized and curated by the Department of Architecture and Design.

Pretty interesting work by artists, designers, programmers, and architects

EXHIBITION SITE

CURATORS

WORKS

Aug 30, 11 6:04 pm

Paola Antonelli discusses this exhibition today on KCRW.

Aug 30, 11 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
my fault.

the digital agency industry is facing an industry-wide talent drought.

definitely recommend this for those struggling to find jobs.

Aug 30, 11 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

victim - I also heard that there's a huge demand for software engineers right now.

how much coding do you do at your job?  I know this is a big stumbling block for a lot of people who would want to break into this industry.  You'd also think that a lot of recent architecture graduates would know how to do at least some minimal scripting/coding - but the graduates I meet (many from top programs, mind you) often barely know how to use the software (or having trouble making lateral moves into similar digital tools), let alone have a basic understanding of computer programming concepts.  there are typically only a few people in any given graduating class who really get into this stuff enough to want to make a career out of it.  with all the hype about youngsters being digitally literate, they are only slightly more literate as users (which I've recently heard is debatable) - most are not really interested in getting under the hood.

I do think some form of digital integration into the physical environment is going to be part of the future in our industry, but I have no idea what this will look like.  these works in the exhibition are fun diversions, but they don't really provide "easier" access to things people want and/or need - which I think is the success of companies like Apple.  Apple didn't invent many of the technologies you see in their products, but they were able to take good ideas that were just poorly implemented and turn them into something much better through design.

Aug 31, 11 10:52 am  · 
 · 
my fault.

my position is Interaction Designer, which is a new field. Not many schools offer the course but there are starting to be more and more programs out there (there's one at CMU)i do absolutely no coding. At most, I am expected to be familiar with what languages are capable of and do. Most of my work is sketching, concept diagrams, scenario building among a lot of other things. i certainly with you on the physical environment one day merging with the physical environment. some of that has already begun.. atm machines, video games (xbox kinect), airport terminal kiosks, televisual ads, and in some places like  asia it's become much more interactive... 

Interaction Designer

Tesco Subway Shopping Screens

Interactive Wind Wall

Interactive Architecture Blog

Aug 31, 11 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

.Most of my work is sketching, concept diagrams, scenario building among a lot of other things.

really?  you get paid to sit around and do schematic design all day?  if interaction design companies operated like architecture firms, that would be maybe 5% of your time - the rest of the time you'd be coding and doing project admin/paper pushing.

Aug 31, 11 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
my fault.

i know it sounds crazy and yes I have worked at an architecture firms where i would work 12+ hours a day 7 days a week. aside from interaction designers we have project managers, product designers, visual designers, strategists, researchers, analysts, and developers who help along with the project. interaction designers, in my company at least, seem to see it through all phases making sure things are on the right track. similar to how an architecture does with the various phases of design/dd/construction

i agree, architects have it worse. it is a big change in pay, work hours, and lifestyle getting into interaction design.

let me also add: wireframing, structure diagramming, and branding/vision research.

Aug 31, 11 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
my fault.

btw, i'm not saying ones better than the other.. when i meant that architects have it worse i'm just admitting that architects have harder work and lifestyle. i give my fellow architects respect in regards to the paths they take. my switch to interaction design was mostly based on my interests in media and digital interaction during college before getting into an m.arch program. however, the perks did influence a great deal.

Aug 31, 11 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

my experience with engineers, human factors people, computer sciencists and software developers is that they are fascinated by sketching ability, 3D modeling, modelmaking, DCC and "divergent thinking," or "design thinking," as they call it.  they respect and value it.

If you have other fundamental skills germane to that particular industry, then design ability is a significant competitive advantage.  but, based upon my (albeit limited) experience, you do have to be at least conversant in the core skills of the field, generally, to be considered.

having said that, the knowledge can be acquired without school, as there are no professional barriers (yet) to entry into the field, and it does not require any particularly rigorous fundamental skills to be accessible

Aug 31, 11 7:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: