Archinect
anchor

ADOBE INDESIGN EMERGENCY

kissy_face

HELP!!!! I have a presentation due at 9am tomorrow and I have been working in indesign for 2 days. for some reason the file stopped working and half of the file is missing. are there temporary files somewhere on my computer that Ican't find? if anyone knows how to recover these files please let me know!

Apr 11, 05 3:42 pm
Manteno_Montenegro

Are you on PC or MAC?

If PC, you need to be able to view all folders, go to Local Settings, and you'll find the TEMP folder (not temporary internet files).

Look around in there and you might possibly find the indesign file you're looking for.

Apr 11, 05 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Is the actual InDesign file there? Can you open it?

If by "half the file" you mean images and such that you placed in the InDesign file, you have to remember that these are all linked, and not actually copied into the file. If any of these images were moved and you didn't update your links, then they are not going to work. The images need to be in the exact place that they were when you placed them in the .indd file, or you need to correct your links.

One good way to avoid this is to use the "Package" function in the File pull-down menu. The next time you save, go and "Package" it up, and it will automatically save the file and all related pictures and instructions into a folder you create.

Unless you have a different problem in which case I dunno.

Apr 11, 05 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

HELP OR FEEDBACK NEEDED:
my friend and office roommate has just lost the whole new illustrated story she has been working on last mounth or so in her apple g5 computer. she was trying to burn the whole thing to a disk and pushed to wrong button. the whole thing is gone and she doesn't think it is recoverable. needlessly to say she is no computer savy person and to me the whole thing might as be a murder mystery. i just want to ask my friends here for some words of knowledge if that file is at all recoverable. is it? thanks for your kind apple computer knowledge in advance.

Nov 17, 06 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

search the computer for the extension with a wildcard for the name...like *.idd...look through all of the oddly named indesign temp files, etc and you might be lucky and find it...sort by file size and start filtering through them...goodluck.

kissy_face. Did you move the linked files from their origin? If so, that is why they are no longer showing up.

Nov 17, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

whoa...I just had a flash back to that horrible time! I think what happened with me is that someone else who was working on the project tried to split it into two files and accidentally deleted one of the files (a semi-confession was later made).

Since we we hadn't set the program to make any backup files we had to start over...*grr*

Nov 17, 06 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

Abra - don't do anything to the drive... it is likely recoverable.

Any number of deleted file restoration programs should be able to recover it. if the disk is formatted as FAT32, I've had great success with a program called "restorer 2000 pro" I think it's $50

for HFS+, I think prosoft has a simialr utility

Nov 18, 06 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Ugh. In-design file corruption seems to happen along if you use anything other than the default adobe-customized fonts. So I tend to use the adobe default fonts until the every end.. then switch them back. It has cut down on the number of corrupt files dramatically.

Note in-design CS2 seems to have some type of auto-recovery feature.. there's been one case where the file re-appeared (minus some changes) after I rebooted and opened in-design again. I then re-saved the file that reappeared under a different name and it was fine.

Nov 18, 06 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

This is the best use of ALL CAPS in a thread title. Way to go, kissy_face.

Nov 18, 06 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

^ Great response time - 13 years, 3 months. 

Jul 28, 18 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: