Archinect
anchor

fee as a percentage of construction cost.

anonymouse

this question has two parts. what is an "average" percentage of construction cost fee for high end modern highly detailed home. what is a reasonable $ per suare foot number also in a house that utilizes many expensive materials such as stone, high end kitchens and doors as well as lots of custom fabricated metal and woodwork.
should a and e be seperated from the interior work?

just to tip my hand: im thinking 12% is a pretty good percentage for design alone considering the expense of many of the materials to be used. permiting and engineering additional. also im thinking that $500/sf const cost seems reasonable.

btw this is for a 10,000 sf house in miami.

Apr 6, 05 8:13 pm
Ms Beary

$500/s.f. x 10,000 s.f. = $5,000,000 house
12% of $5,000,000 = $500,000 architect's fee? Plus engineering?
Is my calculator sick?

Apr 6, 05 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

uh, $600,000 fee I mean.

Apr 6, 05 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

At 12% engineering should be included in the architect's fee. For a high-end residential project in Miami I would say 12% is not unreasonable if one of two conditions exists:

1. The architect is well-known, well-respected for his/her work, and in high demand.

or

2. The architect is an exceptionally promising and hot young talent for whom the homeowner is trying to serve as patron, thus ensuring his/her project will be a good investment as the first majr work by so-and-so.

FYI, I thought a typical % for residential in Philly was 10%, in the midwest it's more like 7%.

Apr 6, 05 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Here in LA I think 15% is average for such a project, engineering included. And $500/sf sounds about right for construction cost...

Apr 7, 05 1:17 am  · 
 · 

wow.

in kentucky, if it costs over $250/sf, it better be absolutely incredible.

and the fee, including consultants, would be between 8-10%.

Apr 7, 05 9:02 am  · 
 · 
Organic9

Just to compare. Based on construction cost modeling. which is taking other houses of similar size and construction, built within the last year. Factor in for location, and luxury design and finishes. On average a 10,000 sq ft house in Miami Florida, assuming it is 2-story, of Luxury interior, and high end exterior, such as stone, the break out is as follows:

Estimated cost of total construction: $ 841,960.00
Contractor Fee @ 15%: $ 126,294.00
Architect & Engineer'g Fees @ 12%: $ 101,035.00
Cost contingency @ 5%: $ 42, 100.00

Total Cost of Contruction Estimated: $1,111,387.00
Cost per sq ft estimate: $111.00 +-

Apr 7, 05 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
anonymouse

where did you get those figures. those are great.

im just not so sure about the $111/sf considering that we are doing many condo remodels that are coming in at $250/sf const cost no fees. so i figure a high end shell would be at least $250 a square foot in addition to the cost of our interiors.

does this logic make sense.

$111/sf seems crazy low. here in sf you cant even build a stucco condo for that.

Apr 7, 05 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Organic9

The Building News Journal, has an online cost estimating software, that allows, you to get a very general and basic idea of costs. Based on data they have collected, on similar projects on a quarterly basis.

The sit is at www.buildingjournal.com Again any specific information, you have for your particular area, is going to be more accurate. I would never use this for as a firm number. But at schematic levels, to get a ballpark idea of where cost are, its a tool.

D4-COST DATA modleing software, provides a more realistic number. It lets you compare other buildings through out the counry, that are similar in size and scope, and lets you develope an estimate on a CSI format line item bases.

Apr 8, 05 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: