Archinect
anchor

Advertising at the Job Site

I've got a couple of projects just starting  construction, and was wondering how useful it is to have a prominently placed ad, aka poster, for your firm at the job site? In San Francisco it seems ubiquitous.  I'd don't have one printed yet, but it seems like a no brainer ... free advertising!  However, I'm wondering really how useful it is? How many jobs have you gotten from an on site ad? Are there any potential downfalls (angry neighbors, complaints, ect)?

Aug 17, 11 2:44 pm

Yes, absolutely.  Do it.  We have one historic street where the panty-bunched historic preservation people don't allow a sign to stay in place longer than 3 months - which for a remodel of a historic 5,000sf home is a ridiculous timeframe - but otherwise we always put out a sign, and DO get referrals from it.

Aug 17, 11 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

We should take a cue from lawyers when it comes to this.

"Like our sign? We do design!"

"Short a brick? Call us quick!"

Aug 17, 11 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

OK but see, the sign has to do what it says it does - that "wreck" sign really IS a wreck!  And like the phrase "Like our sign? We do design!" implies, you have to have a good-looking, well-designed sign to make this work.

It also needs to be memorable.  A local builder here has a sort of sunset fade on his sign, and people do remember it.  Ours, of course, is black lettering on a dark brown background, so it's nearly impossible to read.  This keeps us exclusive*.

*This is how I post-rationalize it to myself ;-)

Aug 17, 11 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Oh, it is a wreck. For some reason I though that was a sammich on the right.

You should show an exclusive dark brown sammich on black background yourself.

Aug 17, 11 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
Menona

Could you work with the 3-Month Rule you described by making a second (or third or fourth) sign of a different design.  Then just put up a new one in a different place on the site every three months?

Aug 18, 11 11:40 am  · 
 · 

Good thinking, Menona!

Aug 18, 11 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Menona

That would, of course, increase your cost - but the benefits are that you get a new sign when the older one is looking more tattered and weather-worn, and you also get people to notice that there's something new on the site that mentally reinforces the thing that was there previously that they'd stopped paying attention to because it had just melded into the construction site.

And - you get to stick it to the fussy little people and their fussy little rules.

Aug 18, 11 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

Quite a few university projects are going up here,and the architects seem to have willfully removed themselves from all jobsite advertising, as this may attract the unemployed....

Aug 19, 11 8:51 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"as this may attract the unemployed...."

haha I didn't even think of that one. "No! Stop calling. We don't have any projects. Oh, the sign. Fuck!" -runs off to the construction site to take down the sign.

Aug 19, 11 9:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: