Archinect
anchor

Designy Resumes

backbay

So I've got two resume's going right now.  One is pretty designy and one isn't.  Which one should I use?  I've asked quite a few people about this and I always get a mixed response.

I'm getting a masters degree in May, so next year I've gott to start looking for jobs.  While I can see the portfolio as being something that shows off your creativity, I have a bad feeling about making my resume any more than straight forward.  

Graphic designer resumes seem to look awesome all the time whenever I find them online, but they're in the business of making stuff like that.  Whenever I see my friends make some ridiculous resume with cool fonts, some atypical layout, and a bunch of sketch crap on the top or side (not to mention some "passion for the built environment since a young age" garbage) I cringe.  I mean, most of the time they're just bad from even a graphic design standpoint, but then professionals seem to buy into it.

I myself am a pretty straight forward guy, and if I would prefer my own resume to just be clear and easy to understand.  I'm very methodical and organized.  But then again I'm also reasonably talented at design, and don't want to give the wrong impression.

Distilled:  Designy resumes look immature and pretentious, but everyone seems to use them.  Will I be at a disadvantage if mine just looks like a normal resume in any other non-design profession?  Will my portfolio speak enough of my creative ability?

---

Also, I've heard mixed opinions on including your hobbies and activities on your resume.  I'm a black belt, a violinist, a guitarist, and I make films in my spare time.  Does that have any place on a resume?  I keep hearing no, and then when I don't have it people ask why its not there.

Aug 16, 11 1:42 pm
citizen

I agree that over-designed resumes and CVs look ridiculous.  (Do they work?  Sometimes.)

But who says that clear-and-straightforward can't be beautiful, too?  Minimalism isn't just about absence, it's also about composition of what is included.  That takes design skill, and conveys it.

Aug 16, 11 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

your resume should be 'normal'. just make sure it is formatted in an aesthetically pleasing and legible way. 'designy' elements are fine, but keep them very minimal.

do not include your hobbies. it is not pertinent information. 'activities' can be fine, but limit that content to volunteering, organizations you're involved in, committees you're a part of, or projects that you're coordinating/creating.

Aug 16, 11 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

I think the key thing you're perceiving is that many of the "designy" resumes are badly designed. There's nothing wrong with putting some thought and effort into it if you can do it well, but if you'll end up with one of the cringe-worthy ones, pull back and keep it simple.

Aug 16, 11 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Let the text tell your tale.

Aug 16, 11 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

The portfolio would be interesting to see, Rusty.

Aug 16, 11 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

Well this is what I've got:

http://flic.kr/p/ae5rHm

Aug 18, 11 12:39 am  · 
 · 
backbay

experience, education honors skills is better order?

otherwise looks fine to me. 

for what its worth i used to do designy cv.  got jobs with it but no idea if it helped or hindered.  i also included interests but took that out after realised it was mildly ridiculous.

Aug 18, 11 6:13 am  · 
 · 
IamGray

Depends what you mean by "designy".

If you mean well considered layout, appropriate and easily legible type-choices, and a clear organizational structure, then absolutely yes.

If you mean multiple colours, unnecessary logos/graphics, and general "filler" then I'd say no. But it all depends on your target audience. I mean just looking at how indecipherable many architect websites are, some of them must obviously be into that stuff.

Aug 18, 11 6:52 am  · 
 · 

If you wanted to be a bit more modern, you could left-align the header and footer info with the detiail information below.

Aug 18, 11 10:53 am  · 
 · 
trace™

"Designy" is certainly subjective.  I like clean, but designed well.  I do not like (or don't think I do) "designy", or stuff just for the sake of stuff (like knowing a few photoshop tricks).

Your example looks good, clean, contemporary, easily read.  I'd consider adding (a) color and not being afraid of additional hierarchy.   It can be well designed without looking "designy".  That will show attention to detail, thought and clarity.  All good things.

Normally I'd stay away from hobbies, but yours show a diverse set of interests and a great ability to follow through and achieve goals (not just "I like to ride bikes, walk through the parks and go to museums").

Aug 18, 11 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

It looks good.

I use a sort of designy three page format (it grew from one page over the years) but mostly to let me get more information in.  It's clean, section captions and vital stats on the left and details/job actions on the right.  Projects are in a smaller font size on the left under the vital stats.  Honestly I never submitted it to anyone I didn't ultimately get an interview with.

My suggestion is to remember that a resume is not a CV.  It doesn't have to a complete retelling of your life story.  It's purpose is to make a point: to tell a story of why you're the right person for the job for which you're applying.  Every word on it should make that point, even if the jobs you're citing aren't in fact on point (if not design, then management skills, attention to detail, etc). Be explicit about what you learned in each position or degree program and how it's relevant, not just what you did and why it applies to whatever job you're looking for.

Sep 10, 11 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: