Archinect
anchor

small time firm idea

shellarchitect

Is this remotely feasible?

I'm thinking about building an "architecture 5 cents" type stand at the local farmers market.  I'm not registered, so it'd be "design 5 cents" or something similar.  I'd like to go after home renovations, basement build outs, etc.  My question is is this business model sustainable or does anyone have any first or second hand knowledge of similar practices?

thanks

Aug 15, 11 9:28 pm
LOOP!

this was in a NYTs article at the beginning of recession part I. You could look up that article and email the guy to find out how it turned out for him. Maybe he actually did score a few jobs out of it.

Or you could open an ice cream stand and call it kool haus...

Aug 16, 11 7:39 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

spent about an hour on the phone with John.  Seems like he has done alright for himself at the farmers market.  Very willing to talk and share his experience/knowledge

Aug 16, 11 5:45 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, John aka "The Architecture 5c. Guy" has done quite well and seems like a very cool person.  Wasn't he talking about possibly franchising the idea?

What makes a practice sustainable is a lot of factors but one the of the most important is NETWORKING and knowing people who not only hire you but refer you to others.  Setting up at a farmer's market and meeting people is a fantastic way to do this, or at least to start building a network together with more traditional methods like volunteering for local causes, being active in the community, etc.

I just left a meeting at my contractor's office, he told me he had just had lunch today with a woman I met a week ago through a friend I met while volunteering at my kid's school.  It's a small world once you start getting out into the community, and making tons of connections - just friendly acquaintance stuff, not hard-core networking lunch events - is the best way to get work.  My partner and I do no advertising and only get work through word of mouth from clients and friends.  The follow up, of course, being that then you have to do GOOD work and make people happy so they'll refer you and your reputation will grow!  Good luck!

Aug 16, 11 6:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: