Archinect
anchor

graduating with BA degree?

Jean Chen

Skimming through the forum, I realized that the job market in the architecture field looks pretty grim. I will be graduating with a BA degree in Architecture from Princeton next year and will be looking for... I guess... a way to survive (either Canada or US or heck, anywhere in the world is fine as long I get a roof over my head and three meals to eat). Unpaid internship is out of the question (though it seems to be both illegal and ubiquitous in US?) as my family can't exactly afford it (and yes, I have been advised that without a thick enough bank account, architecture may not have been the best choice for me, but being young and slightly idealistic, I still chose architecture because I just REALLY REALLY like it.) So, hoping that there are others here that were or still on the same boat as me, I'm hoping for some advise on my next best course of action.

Choices I'm considering: (1) look for a paid architecture internship (which seems to be the ONLY employment opportunity in the architecture field available for someone without a professional degree), or (2) a job in any field (in which case the option is way too wide and would like to narrow it down somewhat), or (3) head straight to grad school (all the professors are against and is hence an unlikely option?) 

Since it seems to be really hard to get a paid internship/employment at any architecture firm with my level of experience/education, should I just hop onto it if I get any paid internship at all since its benefit for my future will outweigh any dire economic conditions?

Note: I currently work a pretty well paid part-time graphic work for a retired architecture professor/working architect at my school, and while it does have good hourly pay, he can't afford to pay someone full time after I graduate.

Aug 15, 11 12:47 pm
Jean Chen

Oh, forgot to ask, is there any other job in the architecture field that I can apply to with a BA degree? 

Aug 15, 11 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
snail

I'm in what may be a somewhat similar situation, since I will also be graduating with a BA degree next year. I know that several of my classmates from previous years have been able to get paid architectural jobs through some sort by networking. I'm applying to graduate school, which my own professors/department also generally discourage, but if you can find a way to afford it I think it would make you more employable in architecture in the future.

Aug 15, 11 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: