Archinect
anchor

If I weren't an Architect I'd be a ....

mpsyp

Guys, we should seriously collaborate on a script. If I go to arch school and nothing comes out of it, at least I'll have a script so I can go back to filmmaking with a bang. :-)

Mar 30, 05 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

mpsyp, here is a thread i revive occasionally that has some possibilities. :-)
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=P6327_0_42_0_C

Mar 30, 05 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

abracadabra, that's hysterical. Stellar job on the creative writing diversion, I'll have to read the whole thing when I get home from work.....

Seriously though, all I need is one script-writing class, a seminar even, and I would start. I've had ideas like this swimming in my head for years.

I love our show. We should film a pilot! Now all we need is cash for film and cameras and actors and such :o|

Mar 30, 05 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

WonderK>

I'll be bringing my 16mm film cameras (and film) to Cincy when I move. Think about it! I know a bit about screenwriting. You guys have got some great ideas here. We could brainstorm, put it all together, grab some actors and PAs -- boom!, a 20 minute pilot.

Mar 30, 05 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
e909

gigolo
no, not really. but i could still be a no-fee gigolo for the right (not right wing) woman.

guerilla horticulturist

tried that. not much survives.

Mar 30, 05 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
e909

god.

oh, too late. i already exist

Mar 30, 05 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
e909
[could also be no. 2, kill 3 birds one stone]

hem! i thought #3 was the stoner
?

Mar 30, 05 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
e909
"who's seen ernest?"

don't you mean, "who sat on ernest?"

Mar 30, 05 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
susi

An environmental anthropologist.

Mar 30, 05 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

You mean your name's not Earnest?!?

Mar 30, 05 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Marc! You're on!

I'm very excited. Yay moviemaking!

Mar 30, 05 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

hey, check this.....

one of our characters is going to moonlight as a hair dresser. See the thread about "architects being unhappy"

Mar 30, 05 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
road agent

mole

Mar 30, 05 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
aml

e909: i meant that the archibabbler could also be no. 2, the womanizer who's secretly gay, and who can also be the uber cool guy that makes a crappy project and leaves for an mba...

it took me a minute to recall the whole thing. that's the first season right there. throw in a romantic plot [get some minimum ratings at least, although we're not selling out] and some subplots involving the guy nobody sees, and we're there.

i do agree we should be critically aclaimed but fight for ratings all the time... only those in the know will watch...

"studio"

Mar 30, 05 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
aml

ps i'm already watching our series in my head... it's quite good, congrats all!

jam arch is the executive producer and gets credit for creating the concept... you get realties also or whatever they call that stuff that made seinfeld rich [i'm feeling generous]

maybe we could use bauhaus font for the logo, to go 'old school'

Mar 30, 05 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

What city is it set in? This part is critical. I love New York but almost think that is overdone. I'm leaning Chicago. The last good Chicago show was ER and that will be long gone by the time we get on the air.

Thoughts?

Also, as for credits....aml, mpsyp and I will write....we can all take turns directing episodes too, since that's what we *really* want to do....whodamantom will get random cameos as the Prince of Wales criticising modern architecture....Nell Lime will get a special credit with a title that we make up....every one else will get cameos on the show as clients, etc. We get special bonus points if we use everyone's second-string professions as guest characters, lol....

I think I might have too much time on my hands. :o)

Mar 31, 05 12:12 am  · 
 · 
e909
What city is it set in?

atlantis

Mar 31, 05 4:17 am  · 
 · 
mpsyp

Everytown, USA

Mar 31, 05 10:07 am  · 
 · 
mpsyp

wait, wait, wait. I've got it. The whole show takes place in studio, on set. Then, in one dramatic episode, one of the grad students ventures for the outside world. After a long, arduous journey, (s)he emerges into the light only to find -- no city! a vast wasteland, like the desert in THX-1138, or a giant, unending parking lot with faded white lines and weeds in the cracks... off in the skyline you can just faintly see Fallingwater and a giant parking garage.

So do we have any faculty or administration appearing in the series??? Desk crits? Pin-up juries? The pin-up could be the climax of each show, where all the themes tie together and we frame everything in terms of architectural wisdom.

Marc

Mar 31, 05 10:15 am  · 
 · 
CalebRichers

A JUNKY....OH WAIT I AM....THEN A METH COOK

Mar 31, 05 11:43 am  · 
 · 
aml

well i don't know about the wasteland.. i'm in favour of a chicagoesque city but more towards the generic.

but maybe we could have all scenes that are outside the building in black and white, how's that? maybe the sound is a bit distorted?

Mar 31, 05 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
aml

damned but i do love the wasteland idea... it's like studio [mine] all over again... pragmatic and dreamer sides fighting....does it always go back to architecture? yes...

Mar 31, 05 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

what about taking that theme, but going in the opposite direction.....i.e., the entire season is shot inside the building, in washed out lighting, and in muted colors.....and then in the season finale the characters emerge into an "Alice in Wonderland" type environment, where everything is technicolor, and glorious, and basically NOT school. It's kind of in keeping with the idea of "we need to get out more".....and maybe not so apocalyptic? We'll save that for the series finale :o)

Mar 31, 05 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
A

If I weren't an architect....

I'd be Joe Millionaire - oh wait, an architect would qualify for that role.

Guess I'd just sit on my ass and do nothing.

Mar 31, 05 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
lennon

mayor

Apr 1, 05 2:45 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

You all are missing it - the true underlying catch of the show is the fact that details supposed important to us as architects are left in this nebulus form. As if to give a silent nod to the architects and designers out there. Things like the studio mate is dirt poor (like us all) living in this cheese ball area of town but his apartment is home to two eames chairs, a chaise lounge by Corb, coffee mugs by Bellini, and of course the daddy of them all his (the man's) mies chair.

Apr 1, 05 6:47 am  · 
 · 
koen froyen

a computer programmer

Jan 17, 06 6:05 am  · 
 · 
nathanc

Prez-o-dent

Jan 17, 06 8:59 am  · 
 · 
French

an astronaut, cosmonaut or spationaut of course...

Jan 17, 06 9:37 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Didn't we do this thread already? Oh well...

Rock musician (already my part time job) or unfocused dilettante.

Jan 17, 06 10:36 am  · 
 · 

graphic designer. In fact, I'm looking into that as it is.

Jan 17, 06 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I'm jealous.

Jan 17, 06 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

chef or food critic

Jan 17, 06 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
Kai

pro poker player

Jan 17, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

If I weren't an architect, I'd be a...

...much happier person.

Frankly, I can't believe I was the first to post that one.

Jan 17, 06 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

garpike - really? I heard graphic designers get paid even worse than we do! I'm giving architecture a little more time, but in my heart I suspect I've made a big mistake and just been too stubborn to own up to it til now... I'm doing a little pro bono graphics for my family, and it's been good so far.

Jan 17, 06 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
db

scientist (physicist)

Jan 17, 06 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

MI5 secret agent.

The Hermitage, St Petersburg, opening gala of exhibit, I approach Fidel Castro (James Bond music starts), “My dearest Fidel, how are you? Shall we retreat to my room?”, Fidel looks close into my eyes, recognizes me as double agent Queen, jumps out window into speedboat. I jump out, do ninja Crouching Tiger moves in air, land on motorbike with jet packs. As boat speeds away I circle around, engage jet packs and speed towards ramp, in air 30 seconds, land on barge but slide off end and disappear into water.

You think this is end of double agent Queen, well, ha ha! It's only beginning! (James Bond music starts again).

Jan 17, 06 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
e909
i'd probably be institutionalised by now

that's an interesting occupation. but did you realize that dob has a code for that one?
http://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/sic_manual.display?id=289&tab=description

Jan 18, 06 3:15 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore
Jan 18, 06 3:48 am  · 
 · 
e909

some kind of kind deity, or maybe i already am? :-)

Jan 18, 06 4:37 am  · 
 · 
e909
guerilla horticulturist

tried that. almost "fruitless" results (pun included)

Jan 18, 06 4:39 am  · 
 · 
e909

sex therapist for the cutest starlets

Jan 18, 06 4:40 am  · 
 · 
e909
mail-order groom

are you going to be careful when/if they legalize gay marriage?

Jan 18, 06 4:43 am  · 
 · 
e909
What's the name of our show going to be?

how does "sesame street" sound? or "Wife of Barney"?

Jan 18, 06 4:45 am  · 
 · 
e909

oi, froyen koen restarted a 2005 thread.

Jan 18, 06 4:47 am  · 
 · 
Queen of England

e909:

Don't e-annoy, we have recourse now (other than making you shorter by a head).

Jan 18, 06 7:45 am  · 
 · 
snooker

no suprise, a snooker player

Jan 18, 06 7:48 am  · 
 · 
esoterrorist

Teacher yep really a teacher

oh yeah or a professional rock climber who gets payed to be outside!

Jan 18, 06 10:00 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

if it wasn't some type of art, it would've been some type of science. geology, anthropology, or i probably would've gone into the army corp of engineers.

Jan 18, 06 10:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: