Archinect
anchor

Graduate School Decision Dates VI .......

Emerson123

I haven't heard anything yet from the 5 programs I applied to (GSD, MIT, Columbia, UCLA, and SciARC).

I went to University of Michigan for undergrad and graduated with a 3.45, have taken 2 years off to work, scored worse than I'd have liked on the GRE (1160), but have a very strong portfolio and statement of purpose. I think my letters of recommendation are pretty good, I read 2 of them but signed the waiver so won't get to see the other 2.

I hope to hear from these schools soon, this is getting so intense! I am so ready to go back to school.

Mar 24, 05 10:30 am  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

tiny, i think you will still be able to teach with a masters from UC. Just maybe not at the more prestigious schools. If you have not noticed it seams that half the faculty at UC are UC grads. Kinda incestuos but a good spring board for future teaching. I know alot of faculty who have leaft for greener pastures started teaching at UC. If you get you dgree and specialize in HistoPresto..and then work for a firm that specializes in that..then i dont see why you would have a problem teaching at most places.

Mar 24, 05 10:34 am  · 
 · 
mpsyp

My background:

BA in English from Wash. U, class o' 98. Minors film and psychology. Worked as a book editor for three years... film curator for three years. Portfolio consisted of photography, filmmaking, sheet music, and some 3d work that I did on my own (not acedemic or professional). I think the inclusion of an architectural rendering may have hurt me, because honestly it sucked. 3.47 GPA overall, 800m, 630v, 5.5w.

UIUC: Yes
KU: Yes
Cincy: Yes (4+)
Yale: No
Harvard: ??
MIT: ??
Penn: Should hear today!

Mar 24, 05 10:42 am  · 
 · 
tinydancer

thanks monkeyboy. I know its all up to me, but GSD would have helped.
Happy about Cincy and is currently first choice.

Mar 24, 05 11:05 am  · 
 · 
spm

My background

BArch '05 from a school outside US and Europe. Strong Portfolio and strong recommendation letters, two from my professors and one from a friend who graduated from princeton. I don't know if my personal statement is good coz someone like it and others not. 3.33 GPA overall, 3.84 GPA (major), very low GRE score esp. writing section.

Princeton: Yes
GSD: Yes
Columbia: Yes
UCLA: Yes
Penn: ?
Yale:?
UMich: ?

Mar 24, 05 11:30 am  · 
 · 
gimp123

Anyone else has portfolio online? I am curious too see how bad my work is... I got rejected from everywhere I applied. MIT, Columbia, Yale, UCs etc.... I think i will work harder and try again next year.

Mar 24, 05 11:30 am  · 
 · 
noone289

Tinydancer> B.S in CompSci and Engineering, minor in Spanish, from Bucknell University.
Strong statement of purpose (very subjective)
Letter of rec from:
Assistant Dean of School of Engineering.
Elec Eng. Prof and UPenn alumn
Current manager at Software engineering firm.
GRE: 740M 580V 4.0A
Portfolio: 5 unique pieces of commisioned furniture (CAD, sketch and
photos), several graphite drawings, five b/w photos and 2 field
sketches of local buildings
And my achilles heel:
GPA 2.1
I was hoping admissions would take the fact that I have been out of
school for 5 years and provided brief explanation for my poor
performance in undergrad (didn't want to dwell on the negative).

Apparently grades have quite an impact on admission's opinion, as illustrated through 4 rejections. Deciding whether to wait another year (I'm in the same boat as tinydancer, nearing 30 and family on hold) and try again after taking a some classes or try to find something else to fill my time and bank account.

BTW, I'm from Cincy and in the area everyone says DAAP is #1, so you wouldn't have any prob getting a job at a local firm. But I guess that's the case with just about any school.

Mar 24, 05 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Nancy

spm, I'm assuming you applied to march2 then? how did gsd notify you?

Mar 24, 05 11:33 am  · 
 · 
tf123

SPM-
I would be interested in seeing your portfolio.
Is it posted on online?
You were admitted to the Post Pro at Princeton?
I assume that you were admitted to the MArch II program at the GSD?
That is awesome. Congrats!

Mar 24, 05 11:35 am  · 
 · 
noone289

gimp123> I've been considering posting mine. Any criticism would be beneficial for reapplication. I just haven't gotten around to getting web space.

Mar 24, 05 11:36 am  · 
 · 
spm

Nancy, they sent me the package by FedEx. I received it on 22th.

Mar 24, 05 11:39 am  · 
 · 
hfas

emerson123, I received a letter from Columbia on Monday saying "no thanks", as well as, my portfolio from them yesterday. I am still waiting on other schools too, including UCLA but my hopes are dwindling as I have seen on this post that some people were already accepted to UCLA last week plus their open house is on the 3rd

Mar 24, 05 11:40 am  · 
 · 
tinydancer

spm-did you get a phone call from GSD as well?

Mar 24, 05 11:41 am  · 
 · 
spm

tf123: thank you. Yes, I was admitted to MArch II

I feel so lucky to be admitted by princeton esp. for an international student.
only princeton gives fellowship among the top architecture schools.
I will post my portfolio online soon, maybe at the beginning of April. You can c it then.
Hope you good luck!

Mar 24, 05 11:45 am  · 
 · 
spm

tinydancer:
do you think toshiko mori will make a phone during midnight?
when boston is day, my place is night. I just got fedex! no phone call! no email!

Mar 24, 05 11:49 am  · 
 · 
tf123

spm-
When did you hear from the GSD?
I was told that they had not yet informed MarchII students.
Congrats again.
Looking forward to seeing your portfolio.

Mar 24, 05 11:49 am  · 
 · 
sahar

tf123,

Maybe they mailed it early because spm is an international student.

hfas,

I haven't heard anyting from UCLA either. I think if I got rejected right off the bat, I would have gotten a letter long ago. Emerson 123 called and was told they are still mailing out letters.

Who knows?

Mar 24, 05 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
bgroff78

what the status with MArch II's? @

Harvard

Rice

Penn

Mar 24, 05 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
netizen

dmc--where was your architecture internship in paris?

Mar 24, 05 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

I know that last week Rice was still reviewing applications. The are probably either still reviewing or in the process of sending them out. I didn't get my letter (as an undergraduate) until April.

Mar 24, 05 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
daham

anyone out there visit/interested in m.arch @ UTexas/Austin?

Mar 24, 05 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

bgroff78,

I Haven't heard anything from Rice for M.Arch II. I think I read somewhere that letters are being sent out at the end of this week or next.

Mar 24, 05 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
dmc

netizen -

small firm working for big names in the 11th arr. great experience - the boss & co really tried to teach me a lot of things, from cad, to task management, or getting as much money as possible from the client before going into construction :). they were extremely patient, given that i had no experience when i got there.

Mar 24, 05 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

danhammerman:

I applied to the Master's program at UT Austin. I actually heard some people have recieved their letters; however, I am still waiting on mine-If I get in, I will probably go there-they have a great program.

Mar 24, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

Anyone in the Midwest get their letter from Penn today? I just picked up my mail and there was nothing...

Mar 24, 05 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
hutch

I'm in the midwest and received mine today - bad news.

oh well...

Mar 24, 05 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
daham

i got an email but no letter or open house info; it seems like a great place and i want to visit though it's a pain to get to from the northeast

Mar 24, 05 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
PeteyPablo

still nothing from GSD...

the amount of debt I could potentially accrue is just hitting me...
could it possibly we worth it?

upwards of 80k....fuck

Mar 24, 05 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

anyone else get a congradulatory email from Joel Sanders via Marilyn Weiss today?

80k!! that''l buy you a nice building here in cincy

Mar 24, 05 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
bzkr

Thanks be to all and to all a goodnight...

It's been a grand 2 months of frantic 20 time a day checking and posting, but I've now heard from all and have to soul search for my choice. I will no longer check this thread, and feel the healthier for it. I long for the days when we speak of other topics besides admissions. I will see you all in 3+...

Mar 24, 05 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

bullshit..you'll be back...tonight even

Mar 24, 05 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

I did, stil no financial package yet from Yale, and STILL waiting on Harvard M.Arch II!

Mar 24, 05 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I got the Marily Weiss/Joel Sanders email --- 5 times!!!!! Whay are they spamming me!!!!!

Mar 24, 05 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

Ha! they like you. you gonna bug Joel or are you gonna wait till the open house? I kinda wann just cause he offered.

"hey joel, just calling to shoot the shit. how about you give me some more money?"

Mar 24, 05 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

i'm in the hoosier land and didn't receive any mail today. specifically, none from penn... i suppose it'll be tomorrow.

also, here's a question - did anyone else get a couple of copies of emails from ucla involving their AUDIT summer discovery program? looks like a poor substitute for starting their march II program this summer... i got to say though, "discover" architecture? what the (explitive deleted).!.!. i've got a lot to learn about architecture, but i sure as () am not DISCOVERING it. here i am expecting a letter of admission/rejection from ucla and i get this email instead...
frankly, it looks fun, but it's not what we've all been stressing about for months, that's for sure.
anyone else get it? opinions? am i missing something here?

Mar 24, 05 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Nancy

heterarchy--I got that too (two of them!)--yeah, pretty much had the same reaction as you, AND still no word on their decision.

Mar 24, 05 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
synth

background:

double major BA philosophy and BS computer science from well regarded public school. GPA 3.85, 2 years work experience in tokyo and madrid doing various things (some art or film related). GRE 720V 780M 6.0 writing. letters of rec from 2 philosophy professors and 1 comp. sci. professor, most likely no admissions people would have heard of them. portfolio was mostly film projects i have done, some maps i have designed as well

MArch I:

GSD: yes, no word on aid yet
Princeton: yes, full tuition + stipend
Columbia: yes, no word on aid yet
Rice: ?

choice: Princeton regardless

Mar 24, 05 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Nancy

very impressive dude (dudette). Just a general question, how many of you are planning on attending grad school immediately after graduating from undergrad? seems like a lot of you have been working.

Mar 24, 05 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
noone289

Well, we've got another rejection in the Midwest. UPenn decided to go with the majority vote. It's looking like this really wasn't my year. Best of luck to all.

Mar 24, 05 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

noone289... sorry to hear that! I'm sure that you are still a talented and good person. :-) Seriously, if you're really into architecture, it can't hurt to build up your portfolio and try again next year! I'm thinking about doing something like that if I don't get in to any Ivies of my choosing... hmm...

Marc

Mar 24, 05 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
ice9

spm-
what was your fellowship like for princeton marchII? am i the only one to be admitted there without a full ride? when i asked about it, they said they didn't do that for post-pro...

Mar 24, 05 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

mpsyp- no cincy?

Mar 24, 05 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

Still thinking about it. Waiting till I get my decisions. Might move to Cincinnati for a year and try again next year for financial reasons...

Mar 24, 05 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

hmmm...
I'm still waiting on responses as well, but have pretty much decided it will be Cincy unless something amazing comes along (like a full ride to GSD or Columbia-I'm not holding my breath).
Keep me posted on what you decide!

Mar 24, 05 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

nancy: good to fear i'm not alone... :) i will have been working almost 2 years when i hit day 1 of grad school.

those of you who've been accepted to columbia msaad, what kind of scholarship did they give you? i still haven't gotten my financial aid package from them, but the letter of admission stipuplated a $9000 scholarship. i hadn't even submitted my fafsa when i got the letter...

Mar 24, 05 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
pvb358

no news from penn here in milwaukee

Mar 24, 05 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
crush

I just received a big envelope from upenn filled with good news.

Does anyone recall the title of the thread for top graduate programs?

Mar 24, 05 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
Nancy

heterarchy-columbia offered 12000 (msaad as well). haven't received financial aid info either. still not enough though, considering it's what, 17000 for the three semesters?

Mar 24, 05 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
Nancy

each semester...of course

Mar 24, 05 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
camo

ice9--i have a couple friends who went to princeton in recent years and from muy understanding not everyone gets a full ride, be it MArch I or II. Most MArch I people get about 75%, with a few (3 or 4) getting a full ride. With MArch II, its about the same, or a bit less since less are admitted. But I do know my friend who was MArch II got a full ride

Mar 24, 05 9:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: