Archinect
anchor

Graduate School Decision Dates VI .......

dillup.

Got back from spring break with a penn acceptance late last night. Disappointing $$$, though. Still waiting on a lot....

Princeton: No
Yale: Yes
UCLA: Yes
UPenn: Yes

Rice: ?
Berkeley: ?
Harvard: ?

Mar 28, 05 11:14 am  · 
 · 
batter

Is there anyone who got the reject mail or e-mail from MIT m.arch1?

Mar 28, 05 11:20 am  · 
 · 
agitated_mind

emerson... just got an email saying that sci-arc decisions will be sent early april, not very specific is it?

to those that applied to UCLA march 1... anyone receive fin. aid info? is this something that will come up at the open house?

Mar 28, 05 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Emerson123

Heterarchy: I got an e-mail on Friday directing me to UCLA's website for their decision status (the answer was no). It kind of sucks having to jump through all those hoops when they just could have said no through an e-mail. Oh, well.

Also, I chose SCI Arc because my favorite teacher went there, and I really liked that studio and the work he did. My friend goes there now and loves it, it's cool because they integrate studio work with other classes. I thought that was nice. I liked the student work, too. The building is kind of annoying, but that isn't that big of a deal to me.

Agitated_mind: Yeah, that's pretty cryptic on SCI Arc's part. I guess I won't be hearing from them for awhile. How annoying.

Mar 28, 05 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

emerson123: then i suppose i'll just look forward to checking ucla's website after work... gee. what a nice thought to go home to. :) then again, ucla hasn't even taken the time to email me just to go check their website... if there's no info on their site this evening, i'm going to call them and give them a very stern talking to.

Mar 28, 05 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Nancy

i just called berkeley, they said i got in for march2, and we were supposed to get an e-mail last friday, which i didn't, but regardless the decisions have been mailed out.

Mar 28, 05 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
Nancy

and ucla is still beating around the bush

Mar 28, 05 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

seems to me that ucla is missing the boat on some very talented folks... their loss. :)

Mar 28, 05 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Emerson123

Here, here, heterarchy! They have let some excellent people slide through their fingers.

Batter: Nothing here from MIT yet.

Mar 28, 05 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

UCLA and the east coast....two different worlds really....they can't be compared to one another...it's more of a lifestyle decision

so I'm going to Cali monday and over to the East on Wednesday.

ug.

Mar 28, 05 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

Maybe some of you Berkeley folks will get a shot at more funding--I sent an e-mail declining the offer of admission/fellowship last night (even though it almost killed me to do it). Anyway, hopefully I freed up some fellowship money for everyone else.

Mar 28, 05 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

seeya ther threads.. both locations i assume.

Mar 28, 05 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

well I didn't apply to yale...but I'll be at columbia wednesday....interested in seeing what everyone is talking about.

Mar 28, 05 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

next week.

Mar 28, 05 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
kix

where have you guys been? I just found this thread and it could have saved me some anxiety over the past week! Here's my list:

GSD: ?
MIT: ?
RISD: ?
SCIARC: ?

All MArch1. the question mark denotes that I have heard neither yup nor nope. I'm in Georgia so I'm assuming, according to other posts, the GSD notice will be here any day.

Mar 28, 05 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
bloviate

I'm a bit curious too as why there aren't more Sci-Arc applicants. I'm a non-arch background, so maybe it seems that down here in southern Cali, Sci-Arc has a much better reputation among non-arch.'s b/c they have a much more experimental collaborative approach.

I spoke with Sci-Arc, and they will be making decisions this week. I'm in LA and will probably be the first snail mail recipient, will keep yall posted.

So I'm down to UCLA vs. Sci-Arc, the battle begins!

Mar 28, 05 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
interrupt

Any one apply to the M.Arch I program at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign? Any word yet?

Mar 28, 05 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

interrupt> I was accepted about 3 weeks ago for UIUC M.Arch I...

Mar 28, 05 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
interrupt

mpsyp: Thanks for the quick reply!

Mar 28, 05 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
kix

Well, as soon as I said that I hadn't heard anything, something came in the mail.

GSD: Nope
MIT: Nope
RISD: ?
SCIARC: ?

It could be worse; at least today isn't my birthday.

Mar 28, 05 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
pazdon

monkeyboy - don't worry, i'll take your place at Yale. you're welcome.

i applied to SCI Arc and I havent heard word any yet. on another thread i read that they are sending final decisions in early April.

Mar 28, 05 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
PeteyPablo

anyone else going to the MIT Open House over Yale?

Mar 28, 05 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

Pazdon, i never said i was not going there.. If i had no intention on going i would not be attending the open house. It is just that at first glance it is not as lucrative an offer as UCLA and COlumbia.

Mar 28, 05 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
dmc

kix,

try calling risd. they give decisions over the phone.

Mar 28, 05 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
kix

thanks dmc.

Mar 28, 05 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
swell

petey, i'm going to mit's. more $ from the school, cambrige beats new haven, and i wasn't impressed by yale at the open house in the fall...but i somewhat reluctantly applied anyway.

Mar 28, 05 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

For all that applied to UCLA and still have heard no word. I called them today, and they said they were still processing applications. I asked how people who haven't received word of whether they are accepted or not could possibly attend an open house that is in less than one week. I basically got a response that did not address the question. "We are still processing applications and we will most likely be sending notifications out until the beginning of next month." I would have gotten angry, but I was under the impression that I was talking to a secretary, not an actual admissions officer.

I say "Good job planning, UCLA." Argh.

Mar 28, 05 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
LenaV

Anyone going to Columbia Wed. the 6th? I'm not going to make it to MIT, but I've been there plenty of times. Speaking of Columbia, they mentioned they'd send me a fin aid package "shortly" after the acceptance letter. Have yet to receive anything and it's been a week. Have you guys received any info from their aid office?

Also, has anyone heard from Rice and RISD? Those are the only ones I'm waiting on. . .

Mar 28, 05 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
Groovy

Finally got some response..
Upenn, Cornell March 2..GSD Mdes.
Does anybody know about GSD's Mdes program?
Some people say it's hard not to get accepted meaning GSD is only interested in the extra finacial resources from the student's.
Is it really true?

I am leaning towards Upenn March2 since cornell offered almost none finacial support and their program is two years.
Any recommendations or advices?

You guys rock!! This post really helped me going through such a painful long...long..wait..
And i am still waiting...hue~~

Mar 28, 05 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

Monkeyboy,

Am I correct in remembering that you applied to TU Delft? Did you visit there? Do you know anything more than can be found out online? I seriously considered applying, but, alas, I'm too anxious to start, and don't want to wait around in cinci doing back-brreaking construction work until the lady graduates. Have you heard yet? Have you talked to anyone in admissions? How competitive is it?

Mar 28, 05 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
user09

first of all I am just finishing up my architectural degree from Frank Lloyd Wright's school of architecture and I know that I am about to get accepted into AA in london because i know that my portfolio is good enought to get me into any grad school that I want to attend

Mar 29, 05 4:32 am  · 
 · 
heterarch

lena V: i'm in the same boat as far as columbia fin aid. got the acceptance three or four weeks ago, still haven't seen any financial aid... hopefully we'll have the fin aid packages before their open house. :)

sahar: thanks for the info. i've still got no word from them either. when i called the arch dept (after playing phone tag with the grad program) i got an answering machine stating that the office would be closed from dec 26th to jan 7th or something.. hmmm, that WAS 3 months ago, right? so i left quite the scathing voicemail. not as satisfying as i'd hoped it would be. then again, i didn't get my application in till a day or two the deadline... what about others who applied to ucla and are still waiting? when did you submit your app?

mindarch: did they teach you to be an egocentric prick at fllwsa too? or are you just trying to get attention?

Mar 29, 05 6:22 am  · 
 · 
Emerson123

Woah, Mindarch! Time to go check your ego; it's out of control.

Mar 29, 05 8:01 am  · 
 · 
kix

foh shoh. mindarch, looks like they also taught you how to emulate FLW's ego.

joking aside, if you do get into AA I'd be interested to hear how different the experience is from what you've been through already.

Mar 29, 05 9:18 am  · 
 · 
dillup.

Got an e-mail from Berkeley today, unofficial acceptance to M.Arch. I program... though no mention of financial aid.

Sadly, this is now turning into a competition of who will throw me the most bucks, since I am paying all by myself and am already in debt.... if only my grandparents had left me tons of money for college like some of my friends.

Mar 29, 05 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
SoulBrother#1

I'm looking get into a top notch school like you guys. I'll start applying this fall to MArch I programs. What is your advice in terms of Gre scores? What should I include in my portfolio? My undergrad GPA was not good.........what can I do to help my chances. I am taking some classes at the local Art Institute to improve my portfolio.
What else can I do?
Please help so I can get into a great program too!

Mar 29, 05 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Nancy

by the way, my parents told me columbia send loan information to my permanent address, instead of school address-so some of you might want to double check with columbia's financial aid office. Yeah....

Mar 29, 05 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
jjo

regarding bargaining for $$ -
a few faculty friends and their friends seemed to think of it as the right of a paying student at least to inquire.
someone said - 'think of yourself as a paying customer, and they are providing a service. they want you, so it doesnt hurt to try to negotiate.'

so i sent ms deluca at yale a little email and while helpful, she sent me, well, pretty much nothin. follows :

'Thank you for the email and congratulations again on your admission.

You currently have the maximum need based scholarship that we award to incoming students.
You may borrow additional funds if the loans that were offered are not high enough. We have
a new loan program called the Yale Y-Loan, which is private bank loan through Bank of
America. Please let me know if you have any questions about this loan.

I would be glad to meet with you during open house and will be available all day. A sign up sheet
will be posted at registration.

Sincerely,
Sharon DeLuca'

both yale and gsd say their funding is need-based only. what ever happened to merit? anyone get merit?
if based on the same formula, how could gsd's math only come up with about 1/4 yale's?

Mar 29, 05 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

hey jjo,, we have started thread VII. so less scrolling!

Mar 29, 05 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

get with it, yall. we're posting on VII now.

Mar 29, 05 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

yeah. only losers are still posting on VI...
wait, d'oh!

Mar 29, 05 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
arimae

Hey Mindarch... I am a student here at the FLLWSA (as I am sure you can recognize), and a couple of us are looking at your post but we can't for the life of us figure out who you are.

I find it curious that with a school of 11 students, 3 of us can't put this puzzle together.

Apr 6, 05 2:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: