Archinect
anchor

Questions About IDP

kylec14

I am a high school student to wants to become an architect. I already know about education although I have questions about the IDP. From what I know the IDP is the experience portion of the path to licensure and becoming an architect. I believe that you work in an architecture firm as an intern to gain experience as to what is like to be an architect and work with clients. And I believe that there is something to do with eligibility and you have to document when  you work and what you do and send it to the NCARB. That is all I know. Can someone enlighten me about the IDP. When do you do your IDP? Before your earn your accredited degree? After you earn your accredited degree? Before of after you take the ARE? Can you pick any firm, be hired, and do your IDP there? How does it all work? I would be delighted with any help you can give. I have recieved a lot of help on this website about education, now I have questions about the next phase of becoming an architect. Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Aug 8, 11 9:53 pm

In your case, I would start at year 3 or 4 of a 5 year B.Arch program or similar time during a pre-professional degree. Reason: You don't have any professional experience designing buildings for real clients and you need to get some formal architectural knowledge so that you aren't entering a job unprepared. Remember it is a real job you are applying for when you are doing IDP training.

A person may do it at time of enrollment or with only a high school diploma but that is mainly intended for persons who already have some post-high school experience designing buildings such as unlicended building designers or design/build construction contractors and such to allow them to start IDP right away without too much forced delayment when enrolling in an architecture program. There are many ways to learn anything not just in NAAB accredited degree programs but it takes an NAAB degree in many states to become licensed as an architect.

Aug 8, 11 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
kylec14

From what it looked like on the NCARB website, you are only eligible to start IDP once you have graduated with your accredited degree. I have always heard that If you don't want to share a dorm room with someone in college but don't want to pay so much for a private room get a room with an architecture student because they are never there, and that architecture students are so busy that they don't have any time.If I or anyone else was spending all my time with my courses or in the studio how would I be able to find time for work? I dsdo need at least 3 hours of sleep, although 9 is presferred!. I know that architects never get any sleep.

Aug 9, 11 9:27 am  · 
 · 
commuter

From NCARB's IDP Guidelines:

You can earn IDP experience once you have successfully completed:
1. Three years in an NAAB-accredited professional degree program;
2. The third year of a four year pre-professional degree program in
architecture accepted for direct entry to a two-year NAAB accredited
professional master’s degree program;
3. One year in NAAB-accredited professional master’s degree program
following receipt of a nonprofessional degree;
4. Ninety-six semester credit hours as evaluated in accordance with the
NCARB Education Standard, of which no more than 60 hours can be in
the general education category

You should read the guidelines, it will answer a lot of your questions:

http://ncarb.org/en/Experience-Through-Internships/~/media/Files/PDF/Guidelines/IDP_Guidelines.pdf

Aug 9, 11 11:23 am  · 
 · 

No kylec14.

You are eligible from moment of enrollment.

http://www.ncarb.org/en/Experience-Through-Internships/Getting-Started.aspx

For experience obtained on and after October 1, 2010. Experience obtained PRIOR to that will be according to previous rules. That woul no longer apply because it has been past the 6-month reporting period anyway. So this is the rule as of now.

When can I start?
You can earn IDP training hours once you have successfully completed and documented an IDP eligibility date. Your “IDP eligibility date” is the date after which you are able to earn IDP experience. Qualifying experience must be earned on or after your IDP eligibility date. Effective 1 October 2010, you can earn experience once you have successfully established:

Option 1: Enrollment in a NAAB/CACB-accredited degree program.

Option 2: Enrollment in a pre-professional architecture degree program at a school that offers a NAAB/CACB-accredited degree program.

Option 3: Employment in work setting A after obtaining a U.S. high school diploma, General Education Degree (GED) equivalent, or comparable foreign degree.

Work Setting A:

http://www.ncarb.org/Experience-Through-Internships/Meeting-NCARB-Experience-Requirements/Work-Settings.aspx

Work Setting A
Maximum Training Hours Allowed: No Limit
(You must earn at least 1,880 training hours in Work Setting A to complete the IDP).

You are working under the direct supervision of a registered architect at an organization/firm that encompasses the comprehensive practice of architecture, including each of the training areas found in the IDP Training Requirements, and is overseen by principal.

Example: Working for a registered architect at an architecture firm.

I simply suggest you wait a little bit before starting IDP to get the necessary knowledge & skills in the various Architecture subjects and studio experience to get you up to speed and while proper vocabulary and knowledge in architectural subject matter that is going to be expected in of employees in an architectural offices. This is for your own benefit of good job experience. You could do some aspects of that PRIOR to working in an Architectural office under a few other work settings to get the idea. Basically, you want a good job record as much as you can.

You could start when you enroll and have verified records of acceptance to the program and hava a verified record of enrolled classes.

Aug 9, 11 11:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: