Archinect
anchor

Additional licenses for states other than the one initially licensed in?

kylec14

Hi! I am a high school student who is interested in becoming an architect. I have some questions about licensure. If I were to receive my initial license from the State of Rhode Island and also do my IDP with a firm in Rhode Island, how difficult would it be to get additiona licenses in New York, Massachusetts, and Connecticut? I think that in New York where I currently reside which has different experience guidelines then the NCARB. In New York I think that you have to do additional experience work and do your IDP in New York in order to get a license. Is this true? What about in MA & CT?

Aug 7, 11 9:36 pm
logon'slogin

Wow! 

Aug 7, 11 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Once you become licensed in one state you can obtain NCARB certification. NCARB certification allows you to obtain licenses in other states through a process called 'reciprocity' - meaning most states will issue a license in their state based on your having passed the ARE. Some states - for example CA - have more stringent standards for licensure. Those states may require additional testing on special topics. Visit NCARB's website where you can learn more about certification and reciprocity.

Aug 7, 11 10:25 pm  · 
 · 

kylec,

You can do your IDP anywhere and your schooling anywhere. If you obtain an NAAB accredited Professional degree in Architecture ( B.Arch - the 5 year long program ) and complete the 5600 Training Hours. NOTE: Training hours does NOT necessarily mean all your work hours. IDP can be explained more in depth later. You have to have training hours in a number of training areas as indicated on NCARB's website.

http://www.ncarb.org/

Once you complete that, then you apply to whatever state of your choice may be when it is time to start the ARE. Then you take the ARE and somewhere in the process you designate your state of initial licensure.In general, (not always) once you designate that initial state in which you apply for Initial Licensure (not Reciprocity or its alternate name Comity), you must complete the licensure process in that state.

Once you pass the ARE and any applicable state specific exam(s) (or whatever state specific requirement such as a summary of state laws in your own word) then you pay the remaining fees. When you get through the degree and IDP, there will be many around here and the areforum.org forum that wil state specific licensure requirements and ARE.

Once you get licensed, then you should go through the process of NCARB CERTIFICATION. Virtually every state accepts ANYONE in good standing that has an NAAB accredited professional degree of architecture, completed IDP and pass the ARE and is licensed in good standing in at least one NCARB jurisdiction (any of thel 50 states, D.C., Puerto Rico, etc.). I'm trying to guide you on the path that will qualify you for NCARB CERTIFICATION and enable you for easy reciprocity. However, in reciprocity to other states, they sometimes may require you to pass a state specific exam on the state's laws and rules regarding architecture practice in that state or write a summary in your words of those laws and rules OR any other subject matter the state specifies.

Do note that you can take IDP while you are enrolled in an NAAB Accredited Architecture degree program. You technically can engage IDP once you graduate from High School and earn IDP credit if you are working under a licensed architect.

However, I would wait until you are enrolled and finished your first year or two of architecture school. Remember, most offices practically expect you to already know how to do the work the office does in an office setting. Without any background as a building designer or such working on a professional capacity, you really aren't ready for office setting until you have got through some of the design studio classes and the classes on structural design and are probably on your 4th or 5th year.

Offices really aren't going to spend alot of time teaching you and taking you around by hand. You will be assigned something to do with a limited set of instructions and details and you have to follow through on your own. This means you need to have self-initiative and a knowledge of what is expected and the quality of work expected and the ability to do it.

I recommend you work part-time in an Architectural office setting where the Architects strongly support and promote IDP Internship. I recommend doing that after you finish your 3rd year. Do bear in mind that office setting and college setting are not the same and there is some disconnect. Architects already familiar with IDP and training IDP interns will be aware of the disconnect. Since there is many practical decisions that may be at odds with the idealistic theories that you may learn in school. That is okay. The real world tends to fall short of idealism. That is normal. You try your best to get the end result despite many real world factors including clients tastes, budget, desires, and client's bullheadedness. Sometimes clients want things that is counterproductive to other factors and downright wants it and is not going to take a no for an answer. Ok... you'll have to figure a way to deal with it. That is some of the real world situation that happens.

So be aware of that.

Aug 7, 11 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
kylec14

Thank you for taking the time to comment and answer my questions. I intended to move to Rhode Island after my architecture education do my IDP there and get my initial license there. It shouldn't be a problem to do my IDP and get my initial license in New York which has stricter requirements, that way I can easily get licenses in less strict states such as Rhode Island. Thank you for helping and making this clearer. I would still like to hear from other people and hear what they think. Again, thank you.

Aug 7, 11 11:44 pm  · 
 · 

By meeting NCARB Certification standards, you should be able to meet New York and any other state. Complete IDP completely not just 2 years but all of it and have your professional degree and even if you get licensed in Rhode Island first, you'll also get licensed in New York and virtually any state except maybe California because they have a special CIDP in addition to the IDP.

Aug 8, 11 12:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: