Archinect
anchor

teaching architecture/design in U.S.

renyi198900

Hello,

I'm interested in going into academic field of architecture, and I wonder if anyone could give me some insider advice on this career path.  

I ultimately want to teach design. right now I'm non-arch college graduate and applying for MArch1 Programs this year.  I did cdisco at gsd last summer and going to new york paris program in gsapp this fall(applying for march at the end of the fall too). worked in a arch firm before and I realize i love the design part, but do not like the hours and pressures of the practice. so i would love to teach after graduate from MArch, I wonder how many years do i have to practice in arch firm before a school would want me to teach there?

Thank you! any advice and information is greatly appreciated!

Jul 30, 11 11:58 pm
renyi198900

anyone else who loves design and teaching, but not so into practice?

Jul 31, 11 12:30 am  · 
 · 
blah

Get your foot in the door by networking.

Meet people and wow them with what you are capable. Pursue things that few others are doing and do them well. Develop good relationships and then good things happen.

I recently became an Associate Professor.

Jul 31, 11 12:43 am  · 
 · 
renyi198900

Congrats William!! Could you tell me more about how you get there?  I would love to hear more about networking (with arch professors? or school administratives?). and I'm more of a balanced kind, not specifically great with one aspect yet, do you think I should work on this? Thanks  and congrats again :) let us know how's teaching life like once you start!

Jul 31, 11 3:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: