Archinect
anchor

big fun

SpringFresh

it has all seemed a bit on the serious critical side this week with an edge of depression in the forum, so here is my heart warming start point for discussion:
i went to an event at the apple store in london this week, PechaKucha night- which originated from Klein-Dytham in Tokyo, and their event space superdeluxe. the idea is very simple
anyone can get up on stage and show 20 slides for 20 seconds, and if they want, they can talk about the slides as they progress.
Basically it is focused at those from the design world, so there were architects explaining very consisely their latest project, or people explaining the direction they wanted to take the world in, or even just showing very personal work in a very simple format to an interested audience. It was a fantastic and really inspiring evening that was really uplifting, and i think it should be happening everywhere- and architecture schools are a great place to start them - good facilities, interesting people, and a level playing field for all- there were famous architects, ex students, painters and artists and product designers all presenting in the same format on exactly the same terms. fantastic.

Feb 26, 05 6:34 pm
abracadabra
link
Feb 26, 05 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i will show my slides of macchu piccu at pechakucha

Feb 26, 05 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

and more here- it explains it a lot better than i did.

[url=http://www.klein-dytham.com/superdeluxe/index.php?section=superdeluxe&page=details&lang=EN&pos=1&id=35]pechakucha[/http://www.klein-dytham.com/superdeluxe/index.php?section=superdeluxe&page=details&lang=EN&pos=1&id=35]

Feb 27, 05 8:25 am  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

oops

link

Feb 27, 05 8:25 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i think it is useless.

Feb 27, 05 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

We can have Show & Tell on archinect.

Feb 27, 05 10:59 am  · 
 · 
bigness

any idea when thre will be another night in london?

Feb 27, 05 11:12 am  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

I might set one up. are there lots of interesting willing people?

and have you been to one abracadabra?
the big draw of it for me is that you don't have to listen to an architect talk for too long about their work- they have to cut it down to what is really important, and you get to see a variety of work as well.

Feb 27, 05 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

no, i have not been in one. 20 slides in 20 seconds per architect is too much (for me). now, if it was 1 slide for 1 second per architect i would think of going to one and see 20 architects in 20 seconds and be done with the show and move on to the next spot in chinatown.

Feb 27, 05 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Is anyone in the Twin Cities interested in Pecha-Kucha? See this http://pecha-kucha.org/ I emailed them about starting one in the Twin Cities and this was the response I got back;

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your email and interest in starting Pecha Kucha Night in Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota!
Pecha Kucha Night was established by Klein Dytham architecture in february 2003 in our gallery bar SuperDeluxe in Tokyo, we are now into our 45th event and have over 80 other locations onboard.

As you probably found out Pecha Kucha Night is an amazing event for any designers, creative people, famous or not famous students etc..... to show their work - be it fashion, art, design, graphics, finished projects or holiday snaps - which feeds the minds and creative souls of both those who organise the night and those that visit to just experience the night.
It is also an integral part of Klein Dytham architecture and our reputation.
This involves 100% commitment, a thirst to search out things fresh,new and unusual, unlimited energy to pull in the crowds and keep their interest - a minimum of 4 times a year - all on top of your regular day job!

Pecha Kucha Night is a NPO - not for profit organisation.

As we are now inundated with similar requests from across the world, we would love to know more about you!!! - your design background, design connections, events experience, ideas about venues, designers you would approach to present their work etc....

Once we receive this we can review everything and get back in touch!
KDa own the copyright for Pecha Kucha Night, 20 x 20 and if we decide to proceed we can provide you with the logos, templates and formats and our standard handshake agreement in order for you to get started!

With many thanks
on behalf of Klein Dytham architecture

Jenny Brown

So, my question to the Archinect community in the TC is, are you interested?

If so or if you know of anyone that might be interested, drop me a line and we can start to put something together.

Aug 8, 07 8:18 am  · 
 · 
binary

big fun

classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omfiVkkJ1OU

Aug 8, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

beta - go for it!

Aug 8, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike
Lido be runnin', havin' great big fun
Aug 8, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

Went to the 1st one in Chicago a couple months back. It was eh. Maybe it was a little better than eh but seeing my old boss there kinda ruined it for me.
Its kinda like sitting through a crit and not being allowed to crit. Some project are interesting and some not so much. On the plus side the event was done in a bar with some great microbrews.

Aug 9, 07 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Every time I read Pecha Kucha I read it as Pekachu, and it ALWAYS throws me off.

Aug 9, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: