Archinect
anchor

Is it realistic to aim for an international entry level remote job

Hello! I’m an architecture student in my final year (took a break this semester). Right now, I’m freelancing by helping other architecture students with their projects, and while the income is quite good (much better to what an intern does), I feel stuck because I should be progressing professionally.

I’ve been using Revit for four years and have developed some solid skills in architectural modeling. I also been focusing on Dynamo lately, and it’s becoming a bit of a specialization for me. This is why I’ve started looking for entry-level jobs, particularly with companies that work remotely and use Revit, as I feel that’s where I have the best chance of getting hired.

I’m looking for opportunities internationally because the job market in my country is very informal and the pay is LOW (worked on a building management company for a some months and oof). Additionally, I have a parent who'll need an expensive medical treatment in a few months, which has motivated me to explore jobs in countries with higher wages. I really that by finding a remote job abroad, I can support my family and grow as a professional but a part of me feels like my goal is unrealistic and that these emails or job applications might never even get read, or that my nationality will be an issue, but I figured it’s worth a shot. What do you think? Am I being dumb?

Oct 16, 24 5:42 pm
smaarch

The  higher wages will be sucked up by the local economy. That's way economies work.
I wish you and your family well.

Oct 16, 24 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

You make more helping students with their projects than being a first year intern?  The average starting pay for an intern is around $42k in the US.  This varies depending on where you are.  

Working remotely can be difficult for those with less experience.  It can work if the firm is set up to handle remote work / offices.  In the beginning of your career you're going to be asking a lot of questions.  You'll be learning through both direct mentoring and via osmosis.  AKA:  learning by overhearing others in your office discuss things.  

I would recommend living and working in the same country, preferably the same city.  That way you can have a split working situation if needed.  

I'm not sure where you are located.  No need to say.  According to my collogues in  Europe it's common for out of country remote workers to be paid the according to where they are located.  IE, if your area pays less than where the firm is located you'll be paid the lesser amount.   

Oct 16, 24 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

You can always try, but the BIM outsourcing market has been sucked up by firms in even cheaper countries, like India. If you can get a remote job paying even 70% of the US it should be worth it. Good luck!

Oct 16, 24 7:52 pm  · 
2  · 

"You make more helping students with their projects than being a first year intern? " yes lol, like twice compared to what I would make in a firm as an intern and I'm only working like 25 hs a week for now.  My only job experience was fully remote and I honestly learned a lot but there were definitely times where I thought that if I was present on the office, I would have learned even more. 

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Oct 16, 24 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: