Archinect
anchor

Architect's Instructions

RST2023

We have been involved with a challenging project for many reasons, but I wanted to seek help over Architect's Instructions.

Our Architect stated that: 

Regarding AIs, it is the contractor's responsibility to ask for AIs, whether for a variation etc...  I believe we have always responded to such requests.

This is in contrary to what our Contractor advises, can you please help us?

Jun 30, 23 12:02 pm

What country are you in?  

I can't tell what you're trying ask.  Are referring to:

RFI  -  Request For Information

ASI  -  Architectural Supplemental Instruction

Regardless I think you need to look at your contract with your architect and contractor, the answers you seek should be in those documents. 

Good luck.  

Jun 30, 23 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

"Architects' Instructions" appears to be a term used in the UK.

Jun 30, 23 12:24 pm  · 
1  · 

Yup, that's why I was asking. Regardless, this should of been in the contracts the OP has with their architect and contractor.

I'd love to hear an UK architects response to this! 

Jun 30, 23 12:45 pm  · 
1  · 
luvu

Context is needed here.If Generally , if an architect is a contract admin who acts as an owner’s agent in a building contract , they can issue an AI to the contractor. The AI can be anything from change of scopes, corrections or even inspection etc.

Jun 30, 23 8:34 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

What Instructions would an Architect provide after issuing Documents? Unless they have found an error or omission, they aren't mind readers, they don't control the site or means and methods, so there's not going to be many (if any) AIs if the Architect is the party responsible for generating them.

Jun 30, 23 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Architect's Instructions:

• No shag carpeting
  • No Early American wing chairs
  • No floral wallpaper
  • No ceiling fans below 7' A.F.F.
  • No wood toilet seats
  • In the event of an urge to use round-top windows, swallow cyanide capsule (included).

Jun 30, 23 5:31 pm  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

How do you feel about shag carpeted toilet seats?

Jun 30, 23 7:16 pm  · 
3  · 

If you didn’t have the shag carpet toilet seat cover, were you really a household in the 80s?

Jun 30, 23 7:22 pm  · 
5  · 
____

I would add: No Great Rooms, No Porte Cocheres, No Flex Spaces, and No Italianate whatever in the fuck that is.

Jun 30, 23 10:53 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

^  "The big Italianate the whole pizza."

Jul 1, 23 1:28 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Shag = straight to jail. 

Italianate = straight to jail. 

Great Room = straight to jail. 

Shag wainscoating Italianate Great Room = ???

Jul 2, 23 1:25 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

=

Jul 2, 23 10:17 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

= a hug from Joanna Gaines.

Jul 2, 23 10:18 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

To the OP... Architects Instructions are almost always issued because the contractor has asked for clarification on something. 

The documents and specifications are the instructions, so to speak, if something isn't found there by the contractor, they can ask for additional information. This could also take the form of an RFI (Request for Information). 

Instead of Architects Instructions, your architect might issue a bulletin (supplementary or revised pages of the documents) if the issue identified is large enough to warrant it. 

The bigger problem than "who is correct" is that your architect and GC are not on the same page. This is a team effort, so the three of you need to sit down and gave a meeting. 

Jul 1, 23 8:37 am  · 
1  · 

So in the UK an AI is like a response to an RFI here in the US?

Jul 3, 23 10:22 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

can you give us an example of what the contractor wants the architect to issue?  like are you adding a door or something?

Jul 1, 23 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
proto

(Legitimately, OP probably realized this wasn't a UK hub for architects & disappeared...so we may as well fantasize..)

Purely guessing/speculating:

1) OP has a construction project that wasn't fully designed prior to tender (for reasons unknown that may be either the responsibility of the owner or the architect, or both), or 

2) OP has decided to change some things during construction by asking the contractor to just do them. It seems like the builder wants formal direction to change the contract work so it can be designed/priced/scheduled appropriately [maybe structural in nature? or of significant scope?], and the architect doesn't want to produce documentation unless the owner acknowledges they're changing the work and pays for such.

Just a jaded guess to entertain myself while we wait to hear back...which seems unlikely...

Jul 1, 23 5:06 pm  · 
1  · 
Kriv

It is always good

Aug 1, 23 12:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: