Archinect
anchor

Is there anything i can do before attending an MArch program?

ahjun

Hi all,

So after a long hiatus and struggle from sort of a mental illness. I am going to pursue a Master's degree in Architecture. My Bachelor's is from Architecture so im not totally new to it.

I just would like to ask what should i, or atleast sort of prepare in advance before attending the Master's program? Should i brush up my software skills? Construction Details? 

I am average in Rhino3D, AutoCAD and somewhat not THAT efficient in Revit. Should i learn Revit, I understand learning a software and advancing in a software are two different things and in the primary i'll be encountering a lot of problems.

Anything else i should look into?

Please give me your insight! Thanks!

Jun 23, 23 1:45 pm
Non Sequitur

work construction. One week of swigging a hammer is worth 10months of software use. 

Jun 23, 23 2:14 pm  · 
5  · 
ahjun

Thank you I'll look into opportunities

Jun 23, 23 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Protip, don’t rely on anything Jawknee writes. Dude is a fucking idiot and has never worked or studied in anything.

Jun 23, 23 3:15 pm  · 
1  · 

It’s one thing to draw something, it’s another to KNOW what you are drawing. That’s why site experience is so important.

Jun 23, 23 3:35 pm  · 
2  · 
msparchitect

Larger Construction Management companies often hire people with architecture backgrounds for CM work. That would give you a good sense of working on a job site without actually doing any of the construction itself. IF you want to actually work on a job site, you should renovate or build a single-family house. Otherwise, your experience will likely be very focused on repeating specific tasks that will not teach you much.

Maybe this helps you in arch school, maybe it doesn't. What it will do is help you in job negotiations directly after architecture school. 

Jun 26, 23 8:58 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

weepholes are taught in first year. It's about a 30min lecture then never needs to be revisited because it's damn simple. You'd know that if you went to school for arch.

Jun 26, 23 10:31 am  · 
1  · 
lacalr

I think it ultimately depends on what interests you in architecture, which to be fair you may not know at this moment. If you want to do single family residential, working on a job site could be extremely beneficial. My first summer working construction I was basically just a laborer, but working alongside carpenters was still helpful. Being on a site, moving material, and doing menial tasks still can expose someone to useful information. Also, knowing the sequencing of construction can be helpful no matter what project type you go into. Also, being as fluent as possible in the modeling software your school uses can be a good thing to brush up on as well!

Jun 26, 23 11:35 am  · 
1  · 

I would add to lacalr's advice and suggest you get to know the common BIM programs being used today. Revit is a big one.

Jun 26, 23 11:44 am  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

In the short term, Rhino is probably the best thing to learn in order to do your school assignments efficiently and well.   You will probably should learn Enscape and photoshop for rendering and image finishing.

You should be picking up skills in Revit in the medium term so you can have a chance at summer jobs while in school and be building the skills to get hired somewhere post-graduation.

Jun 27, 23 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Catch up on sleep, see friends and family, eat properly... All the things you can't do during architecture school. 

Jun 27, 23 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

You can do allow of those things during architecture school. Well except for the see friends one - that will need to be diminished.

Jun 27, 23 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: