Archinect
anchor

Egress Stair Requirements in Group R-2

parkerwhitmore

Question: Can my Staircase be 36" clear?

Context: I am working on a 12 unit (less than 50 occupants) apartment building in NY State and am trying to size the stairwells. I am required to have one accessible unit according to 1107.6.1.1, which I have placed on my second story (first level of living). Due to this, I believe I am required 2 means of accessible egress. Section 109.3.2 of the IBC states that the minimum width of such a staircase is 48"; however, using Exception 1 (automatic sprinkler) it says I do not need to meet that requirement but it does not specify a width I do need to meet.  

What is my required stair width?! Please help!

May 12, 23 3:47 pm
joseffischer

ask ChatGPT

May 12, 23 5:12 pm  · 
1  · 
betonbrut

Here's what the AI bot came back with....

Based on the information provided, it seems that the IBC allows for an exception to the minimum stair width requirement of 48" when automatic sprinklers are installed. However, the code does not specify an alternative width requirement for stairs that meet this exception.

Therefore, it is recommended that you consult with a licensed design professional or code official in your area to determine the appropriate stair width for your project. They can provide guidance based on the specific requirements of your local building codes and any other relevant regulations that may apply.

May 12, 23 5:59 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

consultation starts at $300/hr. 2k retainer required. Double that if you’re a cheapskate looking for free advice. 

May 12, 23 5:45 pm  · 
2  ·  1
b3tadine[sutures]

I'll do it for a bucket of chips and vegan poutine.

May 13, 23 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

How do you get vegan cheese curds?

May 13, 23 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

I don’t even want to know.

May 13, 23 2:26 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Easy.

May 14, 23 7:02 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

https://thatveganbabe.com/vegan-poutine/

May 14, 23 9:43 am  · 
Bench

oh dear god no

May 14, 23 6:59 pm  · 
1  · 
parkerwhitmore

Sorry you feel that way about my question to the forum. I thought this could be a good discussion about code ambiguity and an opportunity to see how people navigate it rather than you trying to shill services. I am a young professional trying to get my bearings and the matter of fact is this is not a clear section in the code. Also, why so angry? We're all just trying to learn here...

May 15, 23 10:29 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

If that is the case, I recommend you tell your client to seek a more qualified professional. Perhaps one who does not crowd-source critical life-safety requirements in online forums? Just a thought... also, what sorta of sleazy client are you representing who wants to provide bare-bones single-exit from a 12-unit multi-story residential property?

May 15, 23 10:53 am  · 
2  ·  2
parkerwhitmore

Thanks for the help

May 15, 23 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

cheese is the one thing I wouldn’t be able to give up 

May 14, 23 9:50 pm  · 
1  · 
parkerwhitmore

ANSWER: I was able to find my answer in section 1009.2 which suggests that I do not need an accessible staircase if my building has an elevator that complies with 1009.4 (which I do). 

In case anyone needs this thread in the future. 

May 15, 23 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Your question originally asked for egress. the presence of an elevator should not remove the need for dual egress options.

May 15, 23 4:39 pm  · 
1  · 
parkerwhitmore

you misunderstood my question - it wasn't about eliminating a means of egress but about the width of the staircases

May 15, 23 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

is the minimum width not controlled by population count and occupancy type? ie. Xmm per person if greater than Y? Still, not a good move to be nickel & diming basic creature comforts.

May 15, 23 6:25 pm  · 
2  · 
parkerwhitmore

Since my occupancy is so low, no. If I sized on occupancy my staircase would be sized well below minimum width requirements; therefore, following min requirements is more than sufficient for this application. Try running a calc. for yourself based on less than 50 occupants and you'll see why.

May 15, 23 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
parkerwhitmore

if you did what you're suggesting you would get the following.     50 occupants x load factor (.3) = 15 in (381 mm)                          

May 15, 23 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

There is a minimum. That calcs are to determine how much, if any, you need to increase beyond this minimum.

May 16, 23 7:45 am  · 
1  · 
vi_d

I highly recommend that you buy a subscription to ICC consulting service. You can call them with any code-related question and, that way, you can 100% rely on the answer you get. Good luck!

May 16, 23 3:22 pm  · 
2  ·  1
lacalr

You could also try posting on The Building Code Forum site. Which is made (I think...) for these specific types of questions. Or at least try searching on that site for an already existing post on minimum stair widths.  

May 15, 23 6:46 pm  · 
2  · 
parkerwhitmore

that's a great resource, thanks - didn't know about that!

May 15, 23 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

Skimming through NYS building code here... How many stories is your building? Depending on your occupant load and # of apartments PER STORY, and total travel distance, you will still need 2 exit access points. Both of those will be required to be accessible means of egress. One of them may be an elevator as long as it meets 1009.4. There are a whole host of other considerations that will affect your life-safety which I'm not familiar enough with BCNYS to answer.

I'll mail you my invoice, I accept cheques.

May 16, 23 7:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: