Archinect
anchor

What are your thoughts on changing careers and doing M.Arch program?

77752-Adam

I am 34 and changing careers. I have oscillated between going for Civil Engineering or Architecture, but I am leaning more toward Architecture. There is an M.Ach program near me that is 3 years. Also, I have a solid 3.7 in my previous education, but I am limited in my portfolio skills. Do I stand a chance of getting in? I have created/ built things in the past, how do I incorporate them into an appealing portfolio? What are your thoughts/ Advice? Thanks. 

Apr 24, 23 5:31 pm

Your starting salary will be around $40k a year regardless of where you go to school and what your previous non architectural degree / experience is.  

The average three year M.Arch program is around $32k.  

Before you consider how you're going to get into the program figure out if you want to get into this.  I myself like architecture.  It's nothing like school.  This profession pays decently but not great. I have nearly 20 years experience and make just over $100k a year at 45 years old.    It's very subject to the whims of the economy. During my career I've been laid off three times. 

Apr 24, 23 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

how much do you know about both architecture in academia and architecture in the real world? 3y is a long time and big expense to throw into this, so what kind of folio work you have amassed until now? 

Apr 24, 23 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

Do you have a portfolio that we could review?  

Apr 25, 23 11:14 am  · 
 · 
archeyarch

it's a fascinating subject for study, but not one you would want to make a living on

May 7, 23 9:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: