Archinect
anchor

Hows the salary right of M.Arch fresh Grad in Canada

ahjun

hi

I'm an international aspiring applicant to an MArch program in CA

How's the salary right off the m.arch?

How's the opportunity to get a job? Since I'm international, I only have architectural  experience from home country and no CA exp.

Hopefully you guys can chime in something.

Thanks

Apr 23, 23 11:47 am
Non Sequitur

depends on the city. Large metro areas like Vancouver and Toronto will pay less due to higher applicant pools but everyone is hurting for staff these days so who know. 

Junior staff (March grads and arch interns) can expect between 40 and 50k cad per year on average. Maybe a bit higher if you have a very specific skill set but that’s rare. Please keep in mind that cost of living in the great white north is less than the USA, for example, since we don’t need to fund our own healthcare or stock up on weapons and ammo. 

That 40-50k per year is the same for fresh tech college grads too. They have a lower career ceiling than licensed architects but they are 2 or 3 times more billable even with little experience. 

Apr 23, 23 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
ahjun

Cool thanks for the reply NS, the value you mentioned is for Toronto and Vancouver? How's it in Ottawa and Cambridge/kitchener/Guelph. I'm deciding between Carleton MArch and Waterloo MArch. Carleton got some funding while ULoo has yet to reply.

Apr 23, 23 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

oops, replied in wrong spot. See below.

Apr 23, 23 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Loo without question if you want top-notch degree but they don't accept many outside of their own undergrad pool.  Just don't plan on living/working in the area afterwards if you pick waterloo because Galt, Kitchener, Guelph are not large places so architecture offices and project opportunities are very limited.

Ottawa is a weird place because it's entirely dependant on government (public) sector.  The average gov salary is easily 6 figures and half the city is employed in some way or other in the public sector so it's super hard to compare if you're in the private (non IT) sector. But, with that said, gov money is unlimited so there is plenty of work at all times and every arch office in Ottawa has their mitts on a few gov project cash-cows.  Carleton is no slouch in the grad school department either and you can probably get some good experience if you join in with the CIMS lab but I've lost track of their faculty since I graduated (undergrad) back in the glory days of 2007.

Apr 23, 23 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
ahjun

Man thank you! Do u work in Ottawa?

Apr 23, 23 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes. Based in Ottawa however our office is active all over Ontario.

Apr 23, 23 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
kenchiku

I graduated 2022. The salary range for people I've stayed in touch with seems to be from $45k-$55k  (smaller cities) and $55k-$65k (Toronto/Vancouver).

Apr 23, 23 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
ahjun

Thank you. I should be planning to move after studying it seems.

Apr 23, 23 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
conneryfriesen

I have personally worked in both Winnipeg and Vancouver as an Intern (Completed Bachelors, and M.Arch in 2020) and have had two vastly different salarys. Across all cities expect 40k-60k out of school, but a 10k bump or so after a year or 2 of experience. When starting out expect closer to 40k in smaller cities (Winnipeg for example), and closer to 60k in Toronto and Vancouver.

May 1, 23 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

If I move to Canada I'd like my salary converted to gallons of syrup :) 

May 1, 23 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It’ll be litres of syrup.

May 1, 23 5:25 pm  · 
3  · 
Almosthip

AND STUFF

MEME COMPETITION! Post your best "Dear..." memes in the comments to win a  50% discount code for the Car Throttle shop! Sample image is provided  below. GO!

May 1, 23 6:03 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: