Archinect
anchor

Getting Projects as a New Firm

small.dk

My Dad recently got licensed in CA and soon started his Firm in December of 2021. Since then we have gotten a couple of small clients but nothing more than ADUS and a new 1,200 sq. ft. house. At this point, we are struggling to get any projects and to transition to Industrial, Commercial, or even Multifamily. I understand the economy isn't so well but at this point, he's trying to get any project and is starting to lowball fees to compete with cheap designers (which I always advise him NOT to do). What is the best way to get some more projects or even any projects such as High-End Residential, Industrial, Commercial, or Multifamily? He has 20+ years of experience but not many connections with former bosses/clients so we are essentially starting a square one. We've done our share of marketing and networking, but it isn't doing much at the moment. I feel like if I get him face-to-face with any client, he would be able to win them over, but we aren't even able to establish our presence. Please let me know what you all think. 

Apr 16, 23 5:33 pm
proto

again?

Apr 16, 23 7:38 pm  · 
1  · 
small.dk

Yes... :/

Apr 16, 23 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

and then again.

Apr 17, 23 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

what about second breakfast?

Apr 17, 23 3:40 pm  · 
3  · 

Pfft. Third breakfast is where it's at.

Apr 17, 23 3:48 pm  · 
1  · 
luvu

Probably tell us what you are planning to do ? I’m sue people will chime in.

Apr 17, 23 6:11 am  · 
 · 
betonbrut

The way you network may differ from project type to project type. It also takes time to develop your relationships and new work will take months to secure, if not a year plus. You will have to balance long-term business development with short-term revenue needs. But basic business development is based on understanding who procures your services and then how to begin to contact those entities/individuals.

You mention high-end residential. Unless you are well connected to people who can afford high-end residential, I would look to general contractors who work on those projects. Introducing yourself to them may lead to clients.

Multifamily projects will likely require you to identify and then meet with local developers.

Commercial (depending on your definition may be challenging given the current market... but again, I would be targeting owners/developers.

Another avenue could be real estate agents. For high end homes, the right agents have relationships with individuals who can afford to build a high-end home. They won’t give you names, but often homeowners call their real estate agents looking for advice like which architect to hire and they can recommend you. On the commercial side, commercial real estate agents/brokers often have a good network of developers and owners who also come asking them for advice on architects and other services.

Apr 17, 23 2:13 pm  · 
1  · 
whistler

Holy crap jobs aren't falling in your lap?  Sounds like the typical "expectations" of a millennial. Sometimes it's tough to build up a name, reputation, clientele ( particularly return clients ) doing projects hidden in someone's back yard is not going to get you any real exposure. Not sure what you expected when you started out but one or two projects does equate to a thriving business.  I have a staff member leaving to start their own firm with their partner with a couple renovations and one house design. I can only wish them luck as it's never a sure thing that the work will continue to flow as expected. Might look easy to bring win projects but there is a lot more to it than you might expect.

Apr 20, 23 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

OK boomer. If you're going to troll at least read the OP's post in its entirety before being a jackass.  

Apr 20, 23 5:51 pm  · 
whistler

Chad, Boomer here. Sorry to offend you but the point I was trying to make was that the original poster was being quite naive about their expectations for work flooding in the door after opening their own shop. "Networking and Marketing" sound nice and might make for beautiful pictures and words but getting real clients committed and signed to contracts takes a lot more effort. That's the truth, and not a rosy lens view of starting a business. Likely there will be a lot of tire kickers, and those who want to take advantage of your keen interest in doing the work for them. Maybe they need to develop a business plan first with a strategy and approach to identifying target clients first IE before opening shop. Just my opinion!

Apr 20, 23 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

You didn't offend me. You just seem like a bitter old man who's upset that their firm's tallent left you.

Apr 20, 23 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Nope, it's part of the game and never unexpected. I guess the grass still always looks greener in the other yard having one's own gig. I just would not underestimate how much effort it is to build up that business. When you aren't working to earn a living you are grinding to find clients, sort out accounts and manage the business, and unfortunately that part doesn't pay! fun times.

Apr 20, 23 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

I'm quite aware of all of that. Most owners are.

Apr 21, 23 10:56 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Is this the fourth time you've posted a similar question here? Have you followed through on any of the suggestions from the previous several times you posted? 

If this is your first time posting, as your post history makes it appear, why is it so similar to other recent posts? 

Can you say something to prove you aren't a bot? 

https://archinect.com/forum/th...

Apr 20, 23 6:46 pm  · 
1  · 
ill_will

Imagine using chat gpt to rewrite your posts on archinect

Apr 20, 23 7:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: