Archinect
anchor

Sketchbook Recomendations

OddArchitect

I'm looking for a new sketchbook supplier.  What I've been using in the past isn't available anymore.  

Previously I've used Canson or Strathmore with the tan (oatmeal) 80 pound paper.  I do ink sketching with Pilot V5 pens.  A lot of cross hatching type stuff.  

Any recommendations for a new sketchbook?

Feb 27, 23 2:12 pm
proto

i use the moleskine dot background books

but the house brand wire bound hard cover ones from blick art are pretty good value for a fold flat option

Feb 27, 23 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Moleskin is the default and I get a few free ones from contractors every year... but I don't like the hardcover ones.  Hard to put away when on site.  I typically buy the soft-cover journal version.  Comes in packs of 3 for $20 (https://www.moleskine.com/en-u...)

My new favorite are leuchtturm1917s.  Large soft cover.  Dot pattern pages, takes all sorts of mediums, multiple colour cover options. Bonus points for not being a Moleskin.

https://www.leuchtturm1917.ca/...

Feb 27, 23 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
proto

the soft 8x5 moleskin tucks nicely into the back of your waistband (& under your jacket) when you have to climb a ladder too

Feb 27, 23 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I use Strathmore 400 series, sometimes recycled paper (green) and sometimes virgin (brown). Not fancy but I go through them pretty quickly and they are mostly utilitarian for me. 

Feb 27, 23 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

I don't use my sketchbooks for work - they're just for artistic (kind of) sketching of things.  

Feb 27, 23 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Moleskin watercolour book was my default back when I cared. Expensive as fuck considering you get a fraction of the pages of a typical sketchbook but it held up well to acrylic and heavy ink pens.

Feb 27, 23 5:18 pm  · 
1  · 

Those look like nice sketchbooks. I'll have to pick one up and try it out!

Feb 28, 23 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, it's this one I used to get. All pages are perforated so you can pull them out. https://www.moleskine.com/en-us/shop/notebooks/art-collection/watercolor-art/watercolour-album-black-9788883705625.html

Feb 28, 23 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks! I'm looking at the A4 size.

Feb 28, 23 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
ill_will

I like Fabriano, grid patterned or dot grid. They're not huge, relatively flexible/durable. I like being a little rougher in terms of my treatment of sketchbooks and these don't fall apart but do show the "weathering" well. 

It's a little different than your typical sketchbook. I suggest the staple bound version. 

Feb 27, 23 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
____

For me the type of mark making instrument and the type of field affects the way I address the paper.

My favorite is a mechanical pencil on the back of a random piece of paper like a discarded envelope.

Anything else like a bound sketchbook particularly if it has the word sketchbook on it inhibits my thought process. 

Occasionally I will use a spiral school notebook that has lined paper or a tablet of grid paper.

Feb 27, 23 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

I'll just use trace for my office sketching. I'll draw on anything for in the field type stuff. That's not what I'm talking about though. I'm referring to life drawing type sketching. Like touring other cities and sketching the architecture.

Feb 27, 23 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
____

How about a canvas pad. There are 2 types one that is fake and one that is real.

Feb 27, 23 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

Canvas pad? Could you elaborate?

Feb 27, 23 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
____

Master's Touch 9x12 100% cotton. Not sure if your pen would bleed. There is another one that is fake, a pattern impressed onto the paper. I don't use it. Sorry, I can't remember who makes it. The fake one might take the ink better and might make the crosshatching interesting.

Feb 27, 23 5:04 pm  · 
1  · 

Thanks!

Feb 27, 23 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: