Archinect
anchor

Unsupported Sloped Roof Overhang

Mark_Samui

I'm a homeowner, not an architect (although I did share an apartment with three architecture students back in university decades ago!). Not sure the appropriateness of this question in this forum but I'll ask anyway. House construction will start soon on my house and one detail concerns me. I will have about a 4.5m sloped roof (45degree slope) overhang over a second floor balcony and was wondering if there will be any issues with supporting the roof without any additional supports at the outer edge (pics below). Climate is no snow and no freezing, a rainy season, construction using reinforced concrete walls, and typically roof framing is done in aluminum but steel is available. Roof width 20m, depth 11m. Will be shingled. How the framing will be attached to the concrete walls is a bit of a mystery to me at this point. My concern is severe gusts during a strong storm (a few a year) and possibly the remnants of a typhoon (we don't get direct hits). Building codes are rather lax here and designs are not always followed unless you inspect everything. I had both an architect and building engineer develop the plans and BOQ but the roof overhang remains a concern and thought a second opinion would be valuable. I would prefer no extra support from a visual standpoint but structural integrity trumps that. Anyone want to offer any thoughts? (Excuse the simple pics, its from a free online website, last picture is from a house here with a similar design but a shorter and less sloped overhang)

Feb 18, 23 9:41 pm
luvu

Sounds like an expat building a house in foreign country ( SE Asia…, what can go wrong?  G’luck

Feb 18, 23 10:09 pm  · 
proto

i don’t understand the images — they look incomplete to me too

Feb 18, 23 11:32 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

hire and pay for an architect you cheapskate. 

Feb 18, 23 11:51 pm  · 
1  ·  1
Mark_Samui

Do you have a problem with reading comprehension or are you just a low-grade architect? (Hint: I mentioned I hired an architect, sure glad it wasn't you!!!

Feb 19, 23 4:25 am  · 
Non Sequitur

Yeah, I read and I seriously doubt you have hired them. You don’t get quality from fivr.

Feb 19, 23 9:43 am  · 
1  ·  1
Mark_Samui

So you read, did not believe, and for good measure toss out a cheap insult for kicks. Ok, got it. Seems like people are bypassing professional architects routinely for you to be so sensitive. Architectural drawings, environmental impact analysis, land and site survey, etc required for building permits here (I expect where you work as well), so yeah, I did hire a local independent architect (westerner) and a native engineer. Only found this site yesterday, thought I would throw a question out there as this was the only issue I was concerned about. Hopefully my architect and engineer have made the appropriate calculations. I did receive some helpful hints from a couple other website roofing forums (on the connection of the truss framing to the concrete walls and columns), so I got what I needed.

Feb 19, 23 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

You've hired and architect and engineer but you're here asking for opinions on the structural stability of the design? 

Why not ask the people you've hired? 

Do you not trust the structural stability of the design? 

Why not hire another engineer to review the 'design' you've been given?

Why show us 'drawings' you did yourself using a free online program?  Why not show us the drawings your original design team provided you? 

If you want actual advice you're going to need to be completely honest with us.   

Feb 19, 23 2:55 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

Mark, you're not the first, nor the last, DIY type to pop-in here looking for free professional advice. Default answer will always be snark because what you're asking is what we get paid for. If you're 2nd guessing your "team", then perhaps you should have done more research on their qualifications first because what you describe is a large wing on a flimsy moment connection.  I've coordinated a few of these types of thin & long roof projections and it's not something that's solved by DIY and forum questions.  And yes, I did read your original post.  You probably should hire a proper contractor and p.eng for the build.

Feb 19, 23 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

This is the kind of thing the architect and engineer you hired should figure out. The uplift calculations in particular will be very important and not something anyone online is going to do for you for free. The only way I know of to meet your requirements is with a lot of steel in the roof system that is tied into the foundation, but a competent engineer needs to design it. The consequence of a mistake (or trusting online advice) is injury or death. 

Feb 19, 23 10:54 am  · 
4  · 
proto

Not for the same reasons, but Turkey’s recent troubles should be a stark warning for not short-arming the strength/stability of structures

Feb 19, 23 12:27 pm  · 
2  · 
Mark_Samui

Thank you. I will have them explain how they calculated the uplift forces and why it should not be a problem in the current design. If I have any doubts, I might err on safety and add a couple additional columns for both roof support and strength against uplift.

Feb 19, 23 2:38 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Aluminum framing? Shingles? In what is presumed to be a tropical climate? 

Color me laughing.

Feb 19, 23 12:21 pm  · 
1  · 
Mark_Samui

Similar climate to Hawaii, most homes on the street I lived on in Hawaii were shingled. Steel vs Aluminum (my mistake). Waterproofed OSB, membrane, on the rise here the last 15 years but concrete, clay, metal roofing still about 85%.

Feb 19, 23 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

Looks like the OP ran away.  

Feb 20, 23 11:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: