Archinect
anchor

Elective Classes in Graduate Schools

PT001

Dear all,

I was wondering if graduate architecture students are allowed to take other electives outside their major. I do have a long-term plan to study engineering, which would require me to take certain math and science courses to be admitted to relevant programs. Yes, it is very ambitious, and may be extremely challenging to do so, but I am still thinking about it. After all, there have been some cases in which architects have decided to practice as engineers, and since I am a person who is into science as well, I most likely will go for it if the time and the budget allow in the future.

Please let me know if there were cases, in which students in the grad-school architecture program were allowed to take electives that were related to different majors.

Have a good day, you all

Feb 13, 23 12:18 am
msparchitect

Yes. 

Look at what degree program you are interested in and see how many electives outside of architecture are possible. This varies by school, degree program, and what classes you can skip if you took the equivalent in undergrad. 

I took at least 1 course outside of the architecture school each semester if anything just to stop spending all my time with the same small group of people. Was refreshing to make friends who were not architects. 

Feb 13, 23 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
gual

Yep. But typically they have to be graduate-level courses, so you can't cram in Calc 3 and have it count toward your M.Arch credit count.

Feb 13, 23 3:22 pm  · 
2  · 
PT001

I understand what you are saying. So, what I am getting is that while it is possible to take undergrad courses (for instance, calculus III, like you said), they may not be used to fulfill graduate program credits. Is this correct?

Feb 13, 23 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Just so I'm clear: your plan is to go back to school and study engineering *after* getting a graduate degree in architecture?

Why?

Feb 13, 23 3:23 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Because it’s easier to avoid the real world if you never leave school.

Feb 13, 23 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
PT001

Well, no. You see, some schools do not have the right math and science classes to fulfill the prerequisites. That is why I am trying to get architecture degree first, which relatively has flexible math and science class requirements,

Feb 13, 23 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
PT001

so that I can work on the requirements for the engineering programs within the three years (or three and half years) that I will be given to complete it.

Feb 13, 23 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
PT001

Also, I would like to be clear once more that I don't intend to consecutively acquire two master’s degrees (in which case, I will have to anticipate myself being in my mid-thirties to get a first job), but am treating this as a goal that I will dream of as I build my career as a designer and an architect.  

Feb 13, 23 8:59 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: