Archinect
anchor

Doors ADA

allnighterz

Hey everyone,

Typically we use 36” doors to meet ADA requirements of 32” clear.  

Has anyone ever done a 34” door that met the 32” clearance?

Feb 11, 23 11:18 am
ivanmillya

I've used them in multi-family renovation projects before, where we fit out all of the existing units with new interiors, including accessible unit types. 34" pre-hung doors do exist from manufacturers, but nowadays, I'm just not convinced you really gain much from using 34" as opposed to 36.

Feb 11, 23 11:37 am  · 
1  · 
allnighterz

interesting? Are those doors 1 3/4” or 1 3/8”? I assume the latter…

Feb 11, 23 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I spec 34" doors sometimes but things seem to have changed in the last few years and they are now harder to get. I've also changed my design philosophy, from preferring the look of 30" or 32" doors to using 36" doors throughout the house, or anyplace they will fit. (I design homes and renovations.)

Feb 11, 23 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

our accessibility codes don’t work anymore with 36” doors. Default in any public, commercial, office project is 38”. Residential is more of a Wild West and there are fewer restrictions. 

Feb 11, 23 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

Interesting... Did your accessibility standards in Canada change to require 36" clear? I think the only reason ours is 32 is to give a bit of wiggle room around the 30x48 wheelchair plan space.

Feb 14, 23 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Our accessibility standards are a clusterfuck of over-lapping jurisdictions. We have a National Code, provincial codes, local municipal guide-lines(only applicable in public spaces) and a Canadian Standard for Accessibility. Want to guess if they all bother to speak to each other? Ding.... correct, they don't. Does not help that most documents come from M'erica... so contractors believe ADA is "code compliant".

Feb 14, 23 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

But, to your main question, we had to change to 38" (965mm) doors for almost everything in commercial, office, assembly because they now (as of 2015) require 860mm min clear opening. Most hinges and levers/panic bars eat into this space if using a 36". So it's easier to increase door size than to nitpick mm in our hardware review.

Feb 14, 23 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

The funny thing is that the ADA isn't code compliant even in 'Murica. The IBC references the ANSI 117.1 - not chapter four of the ADA. While the ADA and ANSI do overlap a lot there are distinct differences between them, specifically in multi family housing unit types, kitchens, and bath / tlt rooms. You can comply with the ADA and not the ANSI (and vice versa).

This still sounds a lot easier to navigate than the Canadian system.  :s

Feb 14, 23 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Yeah we did, but we also ran into the door clearance being 1/4" shorter than the 32" required which was typically accepted for decades. To avoid potential litigation we switched to 36" door to be safe!

Feb 13, 23 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

there is some language in the ibc code commentary about the 34 inch doors not meeting the clearance requirements

Feb 15, 23 9:17 am  · 
 · 

Correct. ANSI 117.1 requires a minimum of 32" clear between the frame rabbit and the inner door face (when the door is at 90 degrees).  A 34" wide door won't meet this.   Since ANSI 117.1 is adopted by the IBC it's what you have to follow.  

Feb 15, 23 12:07 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: