Archinect
anchor

Could be that type of building project common in the old days?

cimerio

One of my favorite movies is 12 angry men. Both the original and the 1997 remake. In one of the scenes, the scheme of the place where the crime took place is shown. I found strange not only the size but also the functionality of this hallway. At least here in South America, they try to make the most of the spaces for new apartments. Even balconies are deactivated to increase the size of rooms and living rooms. Thus, that hallway would not exist. But what I want to know is: what are the advantages of such an extensive hallway? Was it a common thing in the architecture of old buildings? Please tell me more about this.

Feb 9, 23 11:18 am
architecturepinecone

The hallway in 12 Angry Men is an example of a classic feature of 19th-century architecture known as the entrance hall. This type of space was designed to serve as an impressionable first impression upon entering the house and would often be grandiose and ornate. The hallway would typically be long and wide, with a staircase at one end and a large window at the other. This was often used to create the sense of a grand entrance, as the long hallway would draw the eye to the staircase and window.

The entrance hall was also used to create a sense of formality and order in the house. Guests would pass through the hallway to reach the main living areas, thus creating a sense of order and structure. The size and grandeur of the hallway also served to communicate wealth and status to visitors.

Today, entrance halls are no longer as popular as they once were, as modern architecture has shifted towards more open and airy designs. However, they can still be seen in some older homes, as well as in some commercial buildings.

Feb 9, 23 12:04 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Also a big fan of this movie.  I saw it the first time as a pup, and was quickly enthralled.

The bonus points were the hero (Henry friggin' Fonda!) being an architect, plus use of that plan diagram.  Even by then I'd seen lots of floor plans of houses and apartments, and I remember that hall seeming odd.  The place seems like an old railroad flat, and a separate hallway would make zero sense-- for the reason cited by the OP above.

The first (left) image is from the original, and the hall may simply have been graphic license for the film, to clearly highlight that 43' dimension that was important to the case.  Just a hunch.

And while the entrance hall did appear in 19th century houses and apartments, those were the larger, middle-class-and-above cases.  A cold water flat along the El-line would most definitely not qualify.

Feb 9, 23 2:07 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

And another thing! The entry (thus entire apartment) is accessed from the common stair's mid-landing. What's up with that?

Feb 9, 23 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: