Archinect
anchor

City Scale, Firm Scale

pandahut

Hello Archintector's. I am wondering if anyone has moved from a Large/Mid sized city to a smaller city (and smaller market) and how the experience has been. I am looking to relocate to TN from a Mid Sized city in CA and have done some digging into firms and markets. Just looking to hear experiences in how your life was impacted, career, etc. It would be a nice move for my partner and I in terms of access to nature, COL but just have some trepidation on moving to a much smaller market and viability. Remote work is an option but I would prefer to be more local to project work for CA opportunities. Cheers

Jan 20, 23 3:06 pm
whistler

Moved from a big city, to a small not well known resort community 30 years ago...thought it would last 3-4 years and then I would grow up and move back the city.  I stayed and never regretted it, my kids have all grown here, went away to school / college and return regularly ( they would never have left but they know they have to earn there way back )

The advantage is that you can become a "big fish in a small pond" and make your own way.  Not many like living in a smaller town but if you do it's a great opportunity to set up shop with less competition and ideally a better life / work balance.

Jan 20, 23 7:45 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: