Archinect
anchor

screened porch over living space

Markytect

Hi all - I have an addition I'm designing where it would work really well to have a new screened porch over a new finished basement extension (screened porch over living space). Water will obviously get in through the screens so I'll need to keep the water flowing off of the porch floor. Any ideas for a cost-effective, semi-affordable assembly for this floor/roof? 

I guess it's the same as asking, what's your favorite rooftop deck floor system? 

:) 

Jan 13, 23 9:44 am
Markytect

Effectively I'm putting two roofs over living space... the screened porch roof above and the rooftop deck above the basement... Redundant roofs don't seem like good practice... Thoughts?

Jan 13, 23 9:55 am  · 
 · 
proto

I would absolutely put a single ply roof membrane there with a pedestal paver system (wood or porcelain pavers). And def not one of those paint-on systems (traffic coating style). [nm, i see the crew below suggested as much already]

Jan 13, 23 6:21 pm  · 
1  · 

This is a very open ended question without any real context.  We'd need to know a lot more to give you any type of credible answer.  

• Materials being used
  • Roof overhang dimensions
  • Existing / adjacent roof types / forms
  • Existing house layout / construction
  • Your budget.

As you can see there is a lot that would go into an answer to your question.  Also you're asking us to provide you with free design services so get ready for some possible nasty responses.  

What does your contractor and / or designer say?

Jan 13, 23 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Markytect

Thanks Chad. I'm not looking for design services. Just staying general with this. Wood Guy's comment was perfect. I'm in the very first sketchy phase of schematics.

Jan 13, 23 10:23 am  · 
 · 

No problem. Keep in mind that this isn't as simple as picking a few products. It's rather complicated. Good luck with your design.

Jan 13, 23 10:25 am  · 
 · 
t a z

scuppers.  lots of scuppers.

Jan 13, 23 10:03 am  · 
2  · 
citizen

Any more, and you should just go with a sheet-flow system.

Jan 14, 23 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Looks nice WG!

It's important to understand that the replacement / maintenance of such systems can be a nightmare if it wasn't detailed correctly. I'm not saying that what you designed and installed is such a case - just that it's a lot more complex than some think.

Jan 13, 23 10:11 am  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

I totally agree, and if you missed it, I mentioned it in my comment as well. The project pictured will require more re-work than ideal when it comes time for replacing parts, but there were aesthetic, site and financial constraints that made it more challenging than if I had more freedom.

Jan 13, 23 10:16 am  · 
1  · 

I saw it, I just wanted to make sure the OP understands the complexity of this and not think "oh look it's totally doable and easy!"  Not that clients ever do that.  

Jan 13, 23 10:21 am  · 
2  · 
Markytect

Thanks so far. Seems like my first schematic pass is proving too complicated for a smaller residential addition.

I am striving for long-lasting, low maintenance solutions in my designs and this general arrangement (large screened porch over living space) doesn't seem to fit that.

I am still curious though if folks have done something like this successfully.

Thanks!

Jan 13, 23 10:29 am  · 
 · 
midlander

this seems conceptually the same as building a walkable roof deck over a low slope roof. These are common on old brownstones in Chicago and not particularly difficult.

Jan 13, 23 11:02 am  · 
1  · 

Not within the parameters you've set forth. 

I've done commercial rooftop patios using fully rigid insulation, EPDM roofing, internal roof drains, pedestals, and paving stones. Very durable, very low maintenance. Very expensive - around $480 sf.

Jan 13, 23 11:05 am  · 
1  · 
midlander

i would just design the basement as a short low slope roof with parapets supporting the guardrail and roof posts, and put a deck on it. google low slope roof deck chicago to get some idea what i mean.

Jan 13, 23 11:07 am  · 
3  · 

I'd still want to do ci over the roof and need a good way to maintain the roof while providing a level walking surface.  

Jan 13, 23 11:10 am  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

The best way I've found to address maintenance is to make the sleepers/pedestals and deck/pavers loose-laid, which of course requires detailing at the perimeter to keep them in place.

Jan 13, 23 11:26 am  · 
1  · 

That's what I've done in commercial work.

Jan 13, 23 11:31 am  · 
 · 
t a z

This isn't my cup-o-tea, but I just recently heard of this interlocking composite deck system with integral drainage gutters.

I wouldn't rely on it as a waterproof solution, but it might add a layer of redundancy.

I'm not sure if they require the decking to be installed with a positive slope, but I would think it would need to be?

DuxxBak Dekk | Composite Deck | No-Drip-Through Deck (duxxbakdecking.com) 

Jan 13, 23 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

can you do an earth sheltered roof?  If so, your roof can have a pitch, and the fill/drainage layer can be used to correct the grade.  I’m a landscape design-builder so I don’t know how feasible earth sheltered roofs are for this scale.  

Jan 13, 23 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Duradek is a membrane balcony flooring product you could possibly use as the porch flooring:

https://duradek.com/

I've never used it on a project though.

Jan 13, 23 7:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: