Archinect
anchor

POV You have a reasonably large budget and a 3D printer

ill_will

I was talking with a colleague who was exasperated about the most common usage of large-scale 3D printers, the sort that are being used to print houses out of concrete/cement blends. Originally it was just food for thought because relative to the way houses have been constructed for the past 100 years the way 3D printers are being used is pretty innovative, but I wonder what their use could be down the line. 

I had originally imagined a printer that could print in ice or use some sort of wildly abundant resource as an aggregate for the printing slurry. I don't really know what it's use or value would be, if anything. Curious what people would do in this hypothetical situation. 

3D Printing Machine

Jan 11, 23 12:56 pm
Non Sequitur

3D printing Igloos is a pretty niche market.

Besides that, I did not find the 3D-printed house concepts floating around back when I was in grad school to be innovative then... and nearly 20years later, I still feel the same with the modern ones.

Jan 11, 23 1:17 pm  · 
2  · 
ill_will

Yeah, that's kind of my impression of them. Maybe you could do something that would grow mushrooms on it... like a framework of nutrient rich structural material and the mushrooms would determine the shape and typology. Idk if the "POV" post is a good idea or if people think about this as regularly as I do

Jan 11, 23 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

use melted sugar to create edible architecture.  

Jan 11, 23 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Geez bet I could make one hell of a gingerbread house like that.

Jan 11, 23 4:28 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

If I knew how to work a 3-D printer that is. Which I don’t because I’m old and still use auto cad.

Jan 11, 23 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

My local university has the largest 3D printer in the world, and just made a house using wood slurry--a renewable, low-carbon option to concrete options: https://umaine.edu/news/blog/2....

Jan 11, 23 4:34 pm  · 
3  · 
ill_will

whoa super cool WG!

Jan 11, 23 7:23 pm  · 
1  · 
ill_will

3D printed salt forms

Jan 12, 23 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: