Archinect
anchor

Why do so many architecture firms have 3-letter names?

lavenderlasagna

Just as the title asks. It's a pretty silly question, I guess, but I'm applying to architecture schools as of current so I've really starting getting into the field, more than I was before anyways, and I'm just so curious on why it's so common. Is 3 a magic number? Is it just a big coincidence? Is there some contract you sign in blood at your licensing exam that promises that you will work for an architecture firm whose name is 3 letters long? Am I only gonna know in my 5th year by being pulled into a pitch-black room in the campus catacombs? I've just gotta know, LOL

Jan 10, 23 6:01 pm

Because that's how many it takes to make a company...

Jan 10, 23 6:08 pm  · 
7  · 
Kinsbergen

I am wondering in this picture who is the wife and who is the affair girlfriend.

Jan 11, 23 8:27 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

pro tip, if your campus has catacombs, you can be certain you’ll need to pass some sort of bloodletting ceremony before they let you escape…. I mean, let you graduate. 

Jan 10, 23 6:13 pm  · 
2  · 

Good tip

Jan 10, 23 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
lavenderlasagna

That's where I come in. Step 1) I get into architecture school Step 2) I become an architect Step 3) My alma mater hires me for renovations Step 4) I uproot the entire campus to put a catacomb maze underneath it Step 5) I put an evil spirit in the catacombs to haunt architecture majors and chain them to firms that happen to have 3 letter acronyms Step 6) I put the campus back where it should be Step 7) Profit

Jan 11, 23 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

We should make the rest of this thread names of firms with more than 3 letters ...

MVRDV

NBBJ

RTKL

WRNS

VMDO

GGLO

SERA

Jan 10, 23 6:17 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

You forgot one WKRP

Jan 11, 23 6:13 am  · 
2  · 

I'm sure there are lots of others. It wasn't meant to be all-encompassing. Hoping on the wisdom of the crowd to fill it out.

Jan 11, 23 11:38 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Don’t forget SANAA

Jan 11, 23 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
luvu

SANAA Sejima and Nishizawa and Associates
2 founders..
no worries

Jan 13, 23 2:47 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

2 founders, 5 letters

Jan 17, 23 9:15 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

3 founders in some cases. 3 is an easy number of aconym letters to remember too - rolls off the tongue.

Jan 11, 23 8:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Firm naming took its peak with DBA.  It's been a steady nose dive ever since.

Jan 11, 23 10:28 am  · 
5  · 

How can that owner not see the cock and balls? HOW!?

Jan 11, 23 7:05 pm  · 
1  · 
deltar

There is absolutely no way that wasn't intentional.

Jan 12, 23 10:55 am  · 
1  · 

I'd think so but I know a few people who met the owner of the firm a decade ago. Dick didn't seem to be in on the joke. Then again it could all be a Kaufman esk type long joke.

Jan 12, 23 11:01 am  · 
 · 
deltar

I know that the unwritten rule in graphic design is to hide a CnB wherever you possibly can but to be so blatant with it is wild.

Jan 12, 23 4:09 pm  · 
1  · 

It's very memorable. Ironically, if I got licensed, I could do something along the same line. Of course, it would be intentional while feigning "I don't know what you're talking about".... lol.

Jan 12, 23 4:57 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

“Dick Balks, architect superstar” has a good right to it Rick. Trade mark that shit. I’ll buy a t-shirt.

Jan 13, 23 7:55 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I'm sure reasons vary, but one of them is that for a successful firm, you need a principal who is good at design, one who is good at sales, and one who is good at managing a business. Sometimes a single person excels at two or all three, but more often people find their niche and team up with others who excel in complimentary areas. 

Jan 11, 23 11:21 am  · 
4  · 
monosierra

Great insight! The midcentury titans all followed this template.

Jan 11, 23 4:24 pm  · 
1  · 
quizzical

This is the 3-legged stool approach. However, it’s in my experience it generally involves a principal highly skilled in design/marketing, a principal highly skilled in project delivery, and a principal highly skilled in busines management.

Jan 21, 23 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Because otherwise it's awkward when you're the name of the company and you die and people who worked for you keep using your name...

Jan 11, 23 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

As WG points out above, it often comes down to the dynamic of a winning team.  The three-legged stool analogy comes to mind.  A leadership group of three allows for a good balance of ideas and leveraging of strengths.  With two, you can imagine a scenario where it feels like its 'my idea vs yours'.  With three principals, you always have that sense of majority vote that allows comfort in making hard or impactful decisions.  

Jan 11, 23 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I stay away from the acronym thing whenever possible.  Tempting because it looks cool for logos, but Feels cold and forgettable to me.  

Jan 11, 23 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

That's an interesting point. Our firm has been around nearly 40 years. For most of those, we've been known as a three-letter acronym--the two founding members plus the letter A (architects). We recently rebranded and went back to using the full names. Biz cards, drawing titleblocks, letterhead--all of it now carries the full name. As we expanded into regional territories beyond our home town, we realized that the three letter designation felt corporate and lacking in personality--like we could just as easily have been a law firm. To avoid that, we embraced the names--which has brought a renewed sense of identity to the organization.

Jan 11, 23 4:47 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Funny, I always figured your screen name was a version of an acronym for your business.

Jan 11, 23 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Sometimes firms change their names after their founder passes - and it becomes impersonal. I think Polshek became Ennead and Meier became the monosyllabic MeierPartners for a very different reason.

Jan 12, 23 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

some states (nevada was one) require that the business name includes only partners licensed to practice in that state. this is impractical for national firms where only the principal in charge on specific projects would get licensed in certain states. and especially for firms like SOM where the founding partners are deceased.

my former office rebranded for this reason after taking a project out of state - our founding partner was long deceased.

Jan 11, 23 5:52 pm  · 
1  · 
lavenderlasagna

That's actually really interesting. I would've never thought!

Jan 11, 23 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

Thank goodness, in Oregon and Washington, firms don't have to be too rigidly fixed to having business names that require only partners licensed in those states. Yes, if you name your firm based on the founders or firm leadership names, you have some rules to follow regarding that but may flexible. If I got licensed or an architect or two joined the business, we'd have to make some arrangements for complying with Oregon laws for Oregon firm registration. Washington, less so but just a little filing paperwork. It would be pretty straight forward but form needs not be jus an 3-4 letters. Sure, in a logo, I might be able to represent my business name with 3 letters but the business itself is operating in the fully spelled-out name.

Jan 12, 23 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
nonneutral

Because they're all copying OMA and don't have the courage to be more original.

Jan 16, 23 6:58 pm  · 
 · 

No one would copy anything from OMA. If you're going to copy at least copy something good.  ;)

Jan 16, 23 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Dan Blather

A trend I see (on the outside, as a planner, looking in) is firm naming inspired by late 2000s/early 2010s ultra lounges.  Names like:

• flow
  • oxygen
  • liquid
  • wave
  • clear
  • aqua
  • loft
  • fresh
  • zen

All lowercase, of course.  "inspire" the ultra lounge, or "inspire a+la+p" the firm?   Both fit.

Another related trend: names that could be mistaken for Las Vegas nightclubs.  Light, Tao, XS, Omnia, Hakkasan, Apex, Zouk, etc.

Jan 19, 23 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
ill_will

3 is a magic number.

Jan 19, 23 3:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: