Archinect
anchor

undergraduate landscape studios

I_DJ

Do undergraduate architecture programs have landscape studios? I mean is it common? Some of my friends had landscape studios in their undergraduate programs (specifically in their third year of their bachelor's degree) and designed an urban park. Obviously architecture is a vast domain, but don't you think this is a kind of interference with landscape programs? What do you think? Does that sound strange to your ears?

Jan 4, 23 3:23 am
deltar

I don't know about common but year 2 I had a "Site design and mapping" course where we learned the basics of grading plans, profiles, different types of natural detention, etc. It was all very surface level though, I've learned more working in public works than I did in that class. 

Jan 4, 23 11:18 am  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

Sounds good to me.  My undergrad 30 years ago was 100 miles away from the nearest landscape degree program and it had several studios that designed parks and other outdoor spaces.  The buildings were kept deliberately small so you had to design with plantings, walls, water, and paving.  There were also a few elective courses about the history of landscape design and plant identification.

I don't see how anybody can teach responsibly architecture without addressing landscape elements.

Jan 4, 23 11:53 am  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

Had an undergrad studio with a heavy focus on landscape arch and a dedicated landscape arch course in grad school.  I think it's part of accreditation up here in the frozen north.

Jan 4, 23 12:20 pm  · 
1  · 

We had a landscape and civil design class in school, first semester of our third year.  After that class was done professors expected a lot more of our landscape and civil design in all of our studio projects.  I had a five year program with studio every semester.  

Jan 4, 23 5:00 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Our studio was integrated. Lots of cross pollination as it should be. We often forget who was an arch and who was a la major.

Jan 4, 23 5:14 pm  · 
1  · 

Are studios where as well. We all worked together and helped each other out. Typically one project a year we partnered with the LA's to do a project. It was fun.

Jan 4, 23 7:14 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

I find it strange that there is so much unnecessary and unproductive division between architecture, landscape, and construction.   If I were to design a program I’d pair up a student from each discipline to do collaborative final project.   

Jan 4, 23 5:20 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: