Archinect
anchor

How I Used Modern Geometry to Revive This Classic Building

Hey everyone! If you have any interest in advanced geometry applied to architecture I invite you to check out this short video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?...

I've held the position of senior design director at various international firms, and now operate my own boutique practice, Coorlas Architecture.

I also host a small YouTube channel where I share my experience and explorations with advanced design methodologies as the apply to digital fabrication and modern philosophy.

Thanks for you time and interest.

Sincerely,
Stephen 

How I Used Modern Geometry to Revive This Classic Building

Dec 30, 22 12:44 pm
proto

thanks for sharing!

Dec 30, 22 1:56 pm  · 
3  · 
kjpn

this forum isn’t for self promotion

Dec 30, 22 2:50 pm  · 
1  ·  3
archanonymous

I for one think this forum could use more content like this.

Dec 31, 22 11:08 am  · 
7  · 
kjpn

Sure, in the blogs and work updates sections.

Jan 2, 23 11:40 pm  · 

Calm down kjpn. Your green eyed monster is showing.

Jan 3, 23 2:03 pm  · 
1  · 
msparchitect

@kjpn I disagree. We need more content like this and less trolls.

Jan 3, 23 2:32 pm  · 
2  · 

Understood - The post was reviewed and approved by the admin. I'm not attempting to promote my services. I want to encourage others to explore unique geometry in architectural design and offer them the confidence to do so by showing how in the video. I thought offering my background would provide credibility behind the work shown. 

Dec 30, 22 3:10 pm  · 
1  · 
Kinsbergen's comment has been hidden
Kinsbergen

There is no credibility in these forums. Also, noone cares about this kind of work to be honest as it is of low architectural quality. So if you are seeking advertisment don't be a cheapskate posting on Internet forums but instead hire a marketing firm.

Dec 30, 22 4:59 pm  · 

Thank you for your thoughtful critique.

Dec 30, 22 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Non-ASD: from someone who's lead projects at firms you could only dream of working at, why don't you go fuck yourself? This is actually an interesting project and contributes something to the forum, unlike your shitposting.

Dec 31, 22 11:12 am  · 
8  · 

I found the video to be informative and a nice contribution to the site. Nice work Stephen and thanks for sharing.

Jan 3, 23 2:04 pm  · 
1  · 

Thanks so much Chad

Jan 5, 23 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
kevinklinger

After taking the time to watch the whole video, i didn’t find any of this to be about advertisement or self promotion, but rather someone who has thoughts about geometry and how to apply them in a total design-through-production strategy to ordinary circumstances. Finding these solutions will become increasingly important, as AI steps into more prominence, and 3D printing makes it seem easier. Therefore, the questions raised here are sound, and the “critique” should be targeted to the underlying questions raised in this video:

1. Most schools of architecture in the US don’t provide explicit coursework on geometry and in this case the author stumbled on the principle of developable surfaces as one particular strategy for translation complex geometry. What other techniques have been tried out there? (See link below).

2. There isn’t a direct or easily accessible shared knowledge-base in professional practice for the majority of those who are practicing in the US (I’m assuming the author had to find his own way through the fabrication and assembly?).

my takeaways from this video:

1. Both academia and practice need to provide better support to enable the coming wave of complex geometries for all kinds of buildings and designers. Perhaps the author could step in here to address this problem for the future?

2. I learned about Kohls and barrel roofs in the Middlewest of the US. 

There is deep scholarly database base of papers that could help the author here from decades of discourse on this topic:

http://cumincad.scix.net/

Later, Skater!

Dec 31, 22 10:07 am  · 
2  · 

Thank you, genuinely, for taking the time to watch and thoughtful interpret the information offered here. This is exactly the type of conversation I was hoping to engage with. I like the questions you've proposed, and to respond to your #1 take away, I absolutely think this type of strategic approach needs to be better nurtured in academia and in the professional setting. What I have found is that only a handful of designers are experienced with these techniques and they guard their knowledge to hold their positions. Instead, this type of practice (type, not style) should be offered as an efficient and effective way to produce unique and affordable designs. The style, in this case, happened to take on a futuristic look, but I do not discriminate against styles, I'm simply interested in offering useful techniques to achieve advanced design.

And thank you for the resource link. I attempted several searches but am receiving an "Internal Server Error". Perhaps the site is temporarily down, so I will try again shortly.

Dec 31, 22 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

I appreciate the effort of the video production. Very nice. and I think there is a good architectural conversation here, but design-wise. Yikes! The middle image in the design series shown at 4:14 is far far better. Feels like it could be updated without so much drama. Which makes it feel more fit, sturdy, and approachable. The fact that a big old curved beam was found doesn't justify such a wild maneuver. In fact quite the opposite. It's like you found grandpa and rather than give him a tight suit you went with a ballgown.  I applaud the techniques but I'm appalled by the style. 

Dec 31, 22 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for the feedback. The style isn't for everyone, but I respect that you are able to see through that to the techniques practiced here. Actually, that middle design was the existing façade work masking the curved beam. We felt that paying homage to the curved beam was a resourceful way to utilize a distinctive element, which is important for retail architecture. But, I can see how it can be viewed as provocative by some. The general consensus of the regular customers is that the design update is welcomed.

Dec 31, 22 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
proto

Here’s someone taking a stab at doing something edgy & making it happen. I’m sure he’s not over sharing on the various and sundry ways the sketch got watered down as it met production logistics/attitudes/costing/etc.

Somehow,we have lost our ability to appreciate what we have, in favor of purity testing what could have been.

I agree with the above comment on how we could use a little more productive input here. Why chase it away? Perfection is a self-defeating standard.

Dec 31, 22 1:27 pm  · 
2  · 

Thanks for your input. It's definitely a case study, and not an attempt at a new "international style" or claiming to be perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I was hoping this documentation would offer designers and architects with a fresh perspective on cost effective approaches to producing unique designs with advanced geometry. I appreciate your assessment.

Dec 31, 22 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

Stephen, thanks for your video and participation in Archinect.
I am glad this practice of incorporating curved forms into everyday architecture is underway at a mass scale. Your video is great. Besides, I am also interested in the different conversations you pointed out. Why curves? I can see the advantage of it as a continuous single surface form and its singular materiality. Still, we don't have geometry-savvy skilled labor to build these. But your video has true value for me as it clearly uses it in the existing undervalued building stock and in everyday architecture. Finally, the early advocates have to leave their high academic horses and get their hands dirty with digital technology at the likes of Caputo's Fresh Markets. Congratulations to you personally.

Dec 31, 22 2:26 pm  · 
1  · 

Thanks for the recognition. I'm glad to hear this content was useful. I struggle with the "why", but often find myself returning to curvilinear geometry as it seems to offer a deeply rooted level of connection to nature, for me at least. We were very fortunate to have a client and builder willing to trust this process.

Dec 31, 22 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
proto

And the point about double curves vs ruled surfaces is a gem for anyone who hopes to build curves in the US. Or maybe just a dose of reality for those young enough to dream of shapes beyond the cookie cutter facades we mostly see around us. I could pretend to be too jaded to call it a “gem” and roll my eyes, but I think we should recognize both the effort in producing the vid & the effort in getting the owner, GC & subs on board to make a memorable rehab that each of the players can point to and be proud of. [& I’m guessing they do]

I’d guess 97% of subcontractors see curves & shit their drawers while tripling their bids & still don’t have the stones to commit earnestly to making the project sing. Especially when there is so much straight-over-tackle easy flat wall work to make money on…

Dec 31, 22 3:03 pm  · 
1  · 

I'm glad you caught that. There's a lot of discussion about robotics in construction and 3D printing, which I advocate and research independently, but these time tested and proven ruled surface techniques will remain a critical thinking architectural tool for centuries to come.

And you're absolutely right about contractors shitting their pants when they see curves. Unfortunately, our standard building material palette has become so accommodating to rectilinear forms that these curvilinear building techniques have become intimidating to most builders. We were very fortunate to have a client and builder willing to trust this process, but also the proper architectural and design documentation helped to ease their concerns.

Dec 31, 22 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Contracting has led me to a Stone Age aesthetic.

Jan 3, 23 1:35 am  · 
1  · 

Lol

Jan 3, 23 8:05 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

nice video & project.  

Jan 1, 23 12:42 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: