Archinect
anchor

Should one ever go to M.Arch without the aim of becoming an architect?

archKash

So there are relatively few career paths for creatives and architecture is often seen as a creative job -but it really is not. I think that there is pretty firm agreement that this is a misconception and the actual job has little to do with what was studied in school. There are also criticisms of the field underpaying for the amount of work and stress -so I completely understand why creatives would choose against architecture. However, the schools do teach things like creative problem solving, form finding, artistry and tons of technical skills ranging from animation to complex algorithmic parametric design. So would it ever make sense for someone to attend an architecture program with pursuit of becoming say a marketing manager, creative director, 3D artist, design... etc. Many architects make the transition afterwards anyway. 

I am also wondering about someone who might have ambitions to develop their own business down the line in, for example, digital media, marketing.. and honestly anything that relates to creative problem solving -not only pursuits relating to aesthetics. 

Would there be better suited masters programs? I know Harvard has a Design Studies program and a Digital Media program through the Extension School.

Just hard to navigate this world as a creative...

Dec 24, 22 9:44 pm
Non Sequitur

Why do you think you're the creative type at all?  Making 3D renderings of slight variations of already existing products does not make one a unique & creative type... but to your point... no, there is very little value in a professional M.arch if you don't actually want to work in the field.  That is, unless you have money to burn.

There is however loads of  creative parts of everyday architecture practice.  You just really need to enjoy the process of design and construction to see creative opportunities.  If all you want to do is make the big swoopy gestures and grand socially important designs... go to lunch with supermodels, then leave early while the grunts do all the real work, then you're looking at the wrong world.

Dec 24, 22 10:01 pm  · 
3  ·  1
citizen

Personally, I prefer lunching with supermodels before an afternoon of swoopy form-making. Six martinis and sushi (while Svenska gorges on a bowl of salted ice cubes) really fuel my creative impulses.

Dec 25, 22 4:40 pm  · 
3  · 
citizen

Plus, I agree with the other points.

Dec 25, 22 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
agorosz

None of the career paths you mention require a master's degree. Here's some advice in the opposite direction, using marketing as an example, and assuming you have no background or qualifications in the field yet:

If you want to become a marketing professional, start producing some marketing content. Nothing is stopping you from doing this. Make up your own ad campaign for a product of your choice. Treat it like it's real. If (when) the first attempt comes out like shit, make another one. Repeat. If you take it seriously, a portfolio will emerge in time.

Read as many of the foundational texts on marketing as you can. There are probably many lists and articles online to point you in the right direction. Reach out to marketing professionals and ask them for their recommended reading.

You can start gaining experience through Craigslist or Upwork. Don't be too picky at first. Within a few years you can build your CV up and find a job at a respectable agency, if that's your goal. Assuming you make good stuff, your self-motivation will be as impressive as the next applicant's master's degree.

You definitely don't need to pay $70,000 per year to learn how to use 3D software.

Best of luck!

Dec 25, 22 12:20 pm  · 
2  · 
Zclpppp

Agree

Dec 25, 22 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
ambrbk

I would argue that there are plenty of opportunities for creativity in the architecture field, just not the same sort of creativity that of a painter. I am assuming you are drawn to the latter more than the former.

I do not see the point of choosing M.Arch over say, a Digital media degree, to pursue what you are talking about. Unless you know you can get into an excellent M.Arch program, but cannot with other creative degrees. Even then, the M.Arch program would be worth it for the connections you can make (at the prestigious school), rather than for its actual program itself. I am a firm believer that if you are motivated enough, you can be a great designer of any sort with self-education. The schools, you go to find a mentor/connections.

Dec 25, 22 12:27 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Wild. Really, truly, honestly flawed construct. Anyone that thinks the practice of architecture is not a creative endeavor, regardless of the type of work you are doing, is not suited for the practice of architecture. Everything I learned in school, everything, has provided me with the requisite skills necessary to navigate in the "real world" critical thinking, creative solutions, all of these things I learned in school prepared me for this practice. If they haven't for you, maybe you aren't as thoughtful as you believed. Oh, and btw, I have a BArch.

Dec 25, 22 12:51 pm  · 
4  ·  1
citizen

Agreed. 

Am I the only one who's ever obsessed on an interior elevation, reflected ceiling plan, color choice, or font style? Almost every aspect of architectural practice, however minute, requires creative thinking and iteration. 

Even most writing is a creative task, involving word choice and/or narrative construction aimed at clear communication to a variety of audiences (clients, trades, occupants, visitors). If these don't strike someone as creative opportunities to nerd out over, then yes, they may be in the wrong field.

Dec 25, 22 4:50 pm  · 
3  · 
whistler

I am a firm believer that Architecture school can be a great "design education" but so can other disciplines ie industrial design etc. particularly if you approach it in a very broad manner and use the aspect of coordination of mixed disciplines to get an end product which is an aspect of what we do as architects but it often gets lost in the building code / client needs and reflected ceiling plan details.  My son is in a exchange program where they actually collaborate with a range of disciplines to design / build / market and cost out the production of a product.  That's a great opportunity to see the big picture and understand where "design" fits into the entire picture.  I also love telling the story that the main show designer at Nike though their major growth years ( ie Air Jordan era ) was trained as an architect ( also happened to run track at Oregon under Bill Bowerman which probably helped a bit too )

Dec 28, 22 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

architecture is a distinct profession and it will not be worth your time and financial investment in architecture school, over against a differently focused design education, unless you become an architect or architectural designer. 

you are constantly making 'graphics' in architecture school but that doesn't mean its a focused or serious education in graphic design for example. A huge amount of the discourse and pedagogy is architecture specific. there is so much pedantic discussion about architectural esoterics it would bore you out of your skull if you had no intention of working in the field.

I recommend pursuing a specific career path and seriously evaluating your earning potential in that field in a realistic manner. I don't think any kid should just 'wing it' these days with vague, distant ambitions about being a highly paid 'creative'.

Dec 28, 22 11:45 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: