Archinect
anchor

Interests outside of architecture?

We all know work life balance is important.  On that topic what are things you like to do OTHER than architecture?  

I'll start:

Backpacking, CC skiing, mountain biking, climbing, padeling, archery, hunting

Sketching, playing 40K (painting miniatures)  ::NERD::, reading (scifi / fantasy) ::NERD::, playing 40K (painting miniatures)  :: SUPER NERD::

Dec 21, 22 11:08 am
Non Sequitur

Beer - goal is to try, on average, a new beer every day.  So far 2022 average is 1.6 new beers per day... Yay stats!

Climbing/Bouldering -  Not back to my pre-covid prime but trying hard not to fall behind and/or get injured.  Success on that last point is debatable

Vinyl Records - Newest hobby.  2 years in... and it's a fucking fascinating money pit.

Used to paint but I hardly have the time.  

// Nerd Alert //

PC games - AC series, Witcher, AoE, GTA & RD2

Lego - Because its awesome.  Mostly interested in 90s nostalgia but some of the newer stuff geared directly to adults makes for nice displays

Boardgames - Risk is always a crowd pleasers but current hard-on is for Terraforming Mars and Gloomhaven.  I can also play a mean game of crib.

MTG - Because It gives me an excuse to meet up with the group and can do annoying things with no clear win conditions.  Also nice to play with $500 pieces of cardboard like it's just another playing card.  

Dec 21, 22 11:37 am  · 
3  · 

I used to play MTG in high school. I stopped just when dual lands came out. ::NERD::

My wife and I have been getting into more board games.  The expensive types that have a lot of pieces and the rule book is the size of King James bible.  More NERD stuff.  

Dec 21, 22 11:44 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

ummmm... not to nerd-rage here, but duals were part of the OG alpha cards so there is no pre-dual era. I own and regularly play with 3 of them (rev ed) ... Flex.

Dec 21, 22 12:11 pm  · 
2  · 

Really? I was playing in the 95 - 96 time and I didn't remember seeting dual lands then I thought. Maybe they just weren't very common?  I recall people being really excited about the duals in late 96/97.  Maybe it was because they were now easy to get?

Dec 21, 22 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Duals were printed from Alpha to Rev edition. Last printing was in 1994 and Wizards announced 5ish years later that they would never re-print them (and several other $ cards) in order to keep the collectors happy.

Dec 21, 22 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

Dang. My timeline and memory must be off. I must be thinking of another type of land that could produce two different types of manna. ::NERD::

Dec 21, 22 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Still have your collection?

Dec 21, 22 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Yup. I ran a blue / black swarm type deck.

Dec 21, 22 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I can give it a good home.

Dec 21, 22 12:52 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Isn't there like two beers in Canada?

Dec 21, 22 1:33 pm  · 

Non - I'm hanging onto my cards. Could be worth MILLIONS some day. If I can find them.

Dec 21, 22 1:47 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

I've still got my MTG cards from the mid-90s kicking around in storage. Wonder if they're worth anything.

Dec 21, 22 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

I'll give you $3.50 for 'em!

Dec 21, 22 2:01 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Tduds... they could be. The content of the box I carry around with me whenever I get together to play is about 6K-USD. There's loads of zero-value bulk in the old sets but it only takes a few choice gems to find $. Careful tho, digging them out will just cause you fall back into it...

Dec 21, 22 2:13 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

They're definitely not in mint condition that's for sure.

Dec 21, 22 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

$3.25 then.

Dec 21, 22 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Wow you guys have a lot of time and motivation! Im jealous!

Mine are:

Road biking and all NERDery associated with it

Coffee - from growing to roasting to consuming

Dec 21, 22 12:38 pm  · 
5  · 

Well I don't have kids and chose firms / areas with nearby outdoor fun that I liked.

Dec 21, 22 12:41 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

I guess KIDS could be another "interest" for me...

Dec 21, 22 1:15 pm  · 
4  · 
JonathanLivingston

I try to get away from the screen whenever possible.  Most hobbies are outdoor activities: Biking, Running, Canoes and Kayaks, and Skiing.

Are kids a hobby? I have a couple of those. Part of the time. 

Dec 21, 22 1:21 pm  · 
2  · 

Making kids could be a hobby. Raising kids would be job.

Dec 21, 22 2:01 pm  · 
4  · 

From a male's perspective, one is fun, the other is work. Female perspective would have some differences of opinion in the details. 

Nonetheless, it begins with fun but it becomes work. Can have entertaining moments but there's a bit of work to raising a child and bearing a child is not exactly what would be fun and pleasurable.

Jan 2, 23 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Haven't had much time this year to do anything other than work and have a baby, but when I can get away I do the outdoorsy stuff. Bouldering, hiking/backpacking/snowshoeing, snowboarding. I used to be a fairly good pianist but that's atrophied in recent years. I think about starting back up again every so often but other things seem to get in the way. Maybe next year!

Dec 21, 22 1:54 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Oh and cooking, obviously. I sometimes forget that's a "hobby" since I also do it for survival.

Dec 21, 22 2:08 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

move more and eat less - read something from time to time, go to a place I've never been at least once a year.

Dec 21, 22 1:59 pm  · 
1  · 
whistler

Alpine skiing / Back country skiing / XC skiing, Trail running, Mountain Biking, Gardening ( but only when my wife makes me )

Dec 21, 22 2:19 pm  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

Cooking and eating, growing some of my own food (though that's mostly on the back burner these days), learning about and sharing building science and sustainable design knowledge, walking in the woods. And possibly travel--I just had my first big trip in 16 years and enjoyed the change of scenery and culture. 

Dec 21, 22 2:46 pm  · 
4  · 
proto

skiing (alpine & bc), cycling, fly fishing (& tying)

Dec 22, 22 12:47 am  · 
1  · 

I've been fly fishing once with a guide. It was great fun! I thought about getting into it but decided I didn't want one more thing to take up my free time. ;) 

Also the first fish I caught was a 12" rainbow trout so I figured I'd go out on top. AKA: Pure luck,  I just listened to the guide and did what they said.  

Dec 22, 22 10:54 am  · 
1  · 
JonathanLivingston

How do you like tying? I have been an avid angler. Mostly sea run cutties around me. I always thought tying would be a fun hobby but expensive and time-consuming. I think it's the hobby I'm saving for retirement, and when people won't judge me for picking up roadkill to use. Seems like it would bring back that model-making flow state of the college studio.

Dec 22, 22 11:24 am  · 
2  · 
proto

I really do. It's def not cheaper, but i feel like i've learned a lot more about fishing itself by tying. I love the compact nature of each fly as a project, and the vocabulary of moves comes in a decent amount of time to start inventing on your own. I am no expert by any means, but I do really enjoy having boxes of my own stuff. My fishing buds who don't tie seem to get a kick out of catching on them too. (def keeping them on a short leash re: how many they get...can't having them think it's a free fly pro deal...)

Dec 22, 22 6:05 pm  · 
1  · 
chris-chitect

In November I tried an introductory flight lesson in a Cessna. I absolutely loved it. The process of getting a license seems a bit daunting, but with a midlife crisis around the corner, I'm thinking now's the time to try it.

Dec 22, 22 3:59 am  · 
7  · 
proto

i would totally dig flying -- i don't have gas money tho so I'll just watch from here

Dec 22, 22 6:07 pm  · 
1  · 
chris-chitect

Yeah, I got the flight as a birthday gift. It wasn't cheap, but sure was memorable. Renting a plane by the hour also gets pretty pricey.

Dec 24, 22 12:44 am  · 
 · 
luvu

Cycling, collecting vinyls … and forever upgrading my old record player.

Dec 22, 22 4:27 am  · 
3  · 
ivanmillya

Karaoke, digital/pixel art, and occasional video games (Minecraft has been fun for years once in a while, and some idle games I can zone out with while doing other things, like Runescape). Other than that, I actually really enjoy perusing digital architecture (like what non-architects create when they make buildings and cities for video games, shows & movies, and other media).

Dec 22, 22 2:57 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

Gonna try a 100-miler on Xmas break...

Dec 22, 22 9:25 pm  · 
3  · 
proto

I’m hoping you’ve tried a little training as a lead up…

[props either way…]

Dec 22, 22 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Yes my max was 75 miles but that was in Feb. Works been rough past couple of months but will try to train a good 4-5 days before embarking. Not focusing on speed, just wanna do it!

Dec 23, 22 12:03 am  · 
 · 
proto

@sameolddoctor, how’d it go?

Jan 2, 23 11:56 am  · 
 · 
smaarch

Sailing. Own a sailboat for the last 25 years
Plan to sail the North East coast this summer - then we'll see about further passages......maybe around the world. Seriously. We'll see

Dec 22, 22 10:41 pm  · 
4  · 

That's damn cool. Big water makes me nervous.

Dec 23, 22 11:05 am  · 
 · 
bennyc

guitar, oil/water color painting, archery recently, carpentry and carpentry tools, hunting rifle collection. Id like to of course get healthier and do something physical, have tried biking, and playing team sports but have not been consistent with it.

Dec 25, 22 7:12 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Marxism, Revolution, oh, and vegan food.

Dec 25, 22 1:40 pm  · 
1  · 

Do you eat the vegan food or just feed other vegans with it?

Jan 5, 23 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Both

Jan 6, 23 1:29 am  · 
 · 

Is cannibalizing a vegan still considered vegan? Technically you're still eating vegan. ;)

Jan 6, 23 11:15 am  · 
1  · 
OneLostArchitect

mostly just espresso these days... bought a prosumer e61 group head machine a couple years ago and been enjoying it daily ever since constantly trying out new beans.

Dec 27, 22 11:17 pm  · 
3  · 
sameolddoctor

Which one? We've been rocking a Rancilio Silvia for the past 10 years, and boy does it keep chugging away! A few minor repairs here are there though...

Dec 29, 22 9:02 pm  · 
1  · 
OneLostArchitect

The Silvia is a great machine! I got a great deal on a Lelit Bianca with the flow control paddle from a Toronto dealer. I love experimenting with different flow profiles.

Dec 29, 22 11:08 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Start roasting your own coffee to take your addiction to the next level. I would use a modified popcorn popper and it always delivered great beans for me. Sweet Maria's for buying bulk green coffee beans.

Dec 30, 22 5:30 am  · 
1  · 
OneLostArchitect

ha thats a rabbit hole im trying not to fall into lol

Dec 30, 22 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

My wife's family own a tiny coffee estate, so we routinely get green beans and get them roasted by a friend who has purchased a pretty epic coffee roasting machine with computerized profiles etc.

Dec 30, 22 6:46 pm  · 
2  · 
luvu

We bought La Marzocco linea a couple of years ago , it was one
the best things we’ve ever bought… worth every cent!

Dec 31, 22 2:13 am  · 
2  · 
OneLostArchitect

Great machine!

Jan 1, 23 1:35 am  · 
2  · 
graphemic

All about sewing my own clothing (design, pattern making, construction, etc.) for several years now. Also picked film photography back up in the last year. Always trying to find more time to read and write. Otherwise I watch a lot of speed running while doing domestic things and occasionally play Noita.

Dec 28, 22 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

skiing, sailing, sailboat racing, swimming, drawing and sketching, writing, teaching, good food, scotch.

Dec 29, 22 12:11 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

oh, yeah.  And fountain pens.  I have a few too many of those, I guess.

Dec 29, 22 12:14 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

One cannot have enough fountain pens. I’m currently debating what colour ink to load up my new pen. Sitting on dark purple but have not made a decision yet.

Dec 29, 22 9:05 pm  · 
1  · 
TIQM

My wife would say I have too many. She's wrong, of course.

Dec 29, 22 9:12 pm  · 
1  · 
TIQM

I certainly have over a hundred...vintage and contemporary.

Dec 29, 22 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Oh yeah...ink. I have a lot of that as well. I think I have a substance abuse problem. :)

Dec 29, 22 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

growing vegetables and flowers (200m2 potager), beekeeping (4 hives)

Dec 31, 22 5:10 am  · 
2  · 
axonapoplectic

currently running and photography - mostly because they fit much more easily into my schedule. Once my kids are older I want to get back into sketching, film making, and stop motion animation.

Dec 31, 22 10:57 am  · 
 · 
przemula

Martial arts. Used to train Taekwondo & Karate when I was younger, for the past few years I've been doing grappling (BJJ) and Muay Thai Kickboxing. Competed in plenty of BJJ tournaments (have one in two weeks) and fought twice in amateur kickboxing - goal is to ultimately fight in sanctioned MMA fight. 

Marksmanship - indoor range, clay shooting, paintball. Biking - both on road and mounting bikes, but I also bought motorcycle last year and whole summer I haven't touched my car unless it was raining. During winter snowboarding is a lot of fun too. 

Besides that I used to read much more, but recently all I read are study materials for ARE tests. Cooking is fun too, but I mostly search for cool meal prep recipes.

Jan 1, 23 7:17 pm  · 
2  · 
bowling_ball

We have extremely similar interests and life experiences (the gun stuff notwithstanding)! Motorcycles are my life long passion, and I've been involved in some sort of combat sport, including competitive grappling and boxing, since I was 5. I retired from amateur boxing in 2018 and hope to get back to the mat for my first try at (gi) BJJ this year. COVID destroyed my lungs and energy levels and I haven't been able to do anything other than the occasional run in nearly a year. Oss! ;-)

Jan 2, 23 9:11 pm  · 
1  · 

Hope you work through it and things get better. Those long-term effects after going through covid is not always fun.

Jan 3, 23 5:11 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

I’ve been doing martial arts since I was 6-7 years old. I was doing bjj up until last year. I do 12 rounds on the heavy bag 2-3x a week. My son is now obsessed and practices at an mma gym. I work out with him a couple times a week. He’s 19 and can bench 300lbs, so it’s a challenge as a 40+yo man :(. Aside from martial arts I run a few times a week, hike when weather and schedule permits, and just started weight training which I despise.

Jan 5, 23 3:13 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

bb, I’d recommend walking. It’s a great way to ease back into recovery. 4 miles in under an hour is a good goal. I did nothing but walking when I injured my neck and I mostly was able to maintain my cardio fitness.

Jan 5, 23 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

x-jla - I've never been involved in boxing. I know what a heavy bag is. What is a 'heavy bag round?'

Thanks for indulging my dumb question.  ;)

Jan 5, 23 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Chad, a round is 3mins with a 1min break between…I use a boxing timer app on my phone…

Jan 5, 23 6:09 pm  · 
 · 

NIce. I assume that you "simply" (said in ironic tone) punch the heavy bag in various ways?

Jan 5, 23 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

You basically freestyle different combinations of punches. Typically the momentum and body position of one punch will inform the next if that makes sense. It’s a great workout because it’s cardio and whole body strength training in one (if technique is good), and has a pretty complicated brain-body coordination component to it as well. Even without a bag, shadow boxing is an excellent workout.

Jan 5, 23 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

The brain body thing I mention is important because it keeps the mind from wandering like it does when doing something repetitive like running. Things like boxing, tennis, ect really force the mind to be quite for a bit which I think has mental health benefits (for me at least.)

Jan 5, 23 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
przemula

@bb - I always wanted a bike but I grew up poor & then didn't have my personal finance in order. But I finally got a Ninja and would love to get a dirt bike down the line, so I can abuse it somewhere in the forest. What do you ride on? As far as covid goes, just grab a Gi and get yourself on the mats, that's the hardest part. I've had covid twice and second time (ironically, after being vaccinated) hit me so bad, it took me a month to fully recover.

For those of you reading and are possibly looking for a hobby, BJJ is a great way to spend time, socialize and get in shape, and in the meantime learn how to fight and defend yourself. I highly recommend it, vibe of it is much different than other contact martial arts - that's why you keep hearing about celebrities, actors, etc. picking it up. Supplement it with striking program down the line (kickboxing or boxing) and you're complete fighter.

Jan 5, 23 11:52 pm  · 
 · 

Food- Not plate I can't ruin...

Gundam- specifically painting and assembling HG models, commonly 6" tall. A lot of homemade therapy is put into these things.

"Drawing" once a day. Which leads to other thoughts and machinations.

Jan 2, 23 10:00 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: