Archinect
anchor

Can boss make me have wig

Turbo123

I am at new architectural design firm.  The boss says my hair looks ugly and makes the office look poor.  He makes me wear a wig.  My friend laugh at me because the wig is long hair and looks strange on me.  The wig falls off all day and he put glue In to make it hold on my head.  Is this legal ?   I am 31 man with medium build.  

Dec 16, 22 4:38 pm
Almosthip

What country is this?

Dec 16, 22 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

wtf... 

Dec 16, 22 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

Nearly every country that isn't completely and totally ass-backward, can not do that with legitimacy. You would have to have an NSFW tattoo or something on the top of your head before there is much of a reason. This "your ugly" basis can run into issues like anti-discrimination laws. There are potential legal issues. He may or may not run into trouble but it's going to be a dubious position to justify his demands. IANAL (I AM NOT A LAWYER)

Dec 16, 22 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Turbo123

He say it is ugly because I am bald guy. I don’t have tattoos. Most office is full of beautiful fashion and models.

Dec 16, 22 7:17 pm  · 
 · 

Whether that is illegal is hard to say. That's something to consult a lawyer about. It sounds like a situation where you may want to consider applying for work at another company that isn't such a douchy place. Hostile work environment. I'd seek a different place of employment.

In the meantime, I'd just play along so you get the paychecks until you have another place to work at secured and can then submit your resignation and go on to working for someone else.

Dec 16, 22 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
Turbo123

I will continue to wear wig on top of my head. Thank you sir for legal advices.

Dec 17, 22 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not suggesting wearing a wig as "legal advice" but merely a strategic suggestion so you don't rock the boat pissing off your employer, then you get fired, and not have a job lined up. When it's time and you resigned and heading out, you can take the wig off, with a sticker tattoo (fake kind) to walk out the door with a message. That is if I were in your position.You can imagine my message would be. Partly visual/pictorial.... ok... mostly and the visual will convey the core message.

Dec 17, 22 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Turbo123

Mr Balkins thank you for good advices. I will keep the wig on until I get hair tattoo.

Dec 17, 22 4:44 pm  · 
 · 

To be honest, at first, I haven't thought you to be a troll. It seems like a new account. While that alone does not make a person a troll. The behavior does. I don't have access to IP address info which would be helpful to determine if you are a person who was already been banned. So, I don't assume you are another user who was banned using another account. I can reasonably decide after some dialogue if you are being a 'troll' (internet slang) based on your behavior. You are starting to exhibit such behavior associated with 'trolls'. The second sentence kind of comes off that way. I'm not suggesting or making an argument about your physical looks. There's nothing wrong with being bald. That is why I don't agree with your employers conduct but am not sure if it actually breaks any law. You need to consult an attorney on that. However, playing along with the wig thing and then getting a new job working for a boss who isn't such a douche would be a wise step out of a hostile work environment that you are uncomfortable with, based on your first post.

Dec 17, 22 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Turbo123

Why you call me the names? I am not very ugly like the troll. I only have no hairs on top of my head.

Dec 18, 22 11:14 am  · 
 · 

That is not what I was saying. Google search: internet troll (troll being shorthand). It's not about looks but a term coined to refer to a behavior. 

URLs: 

Wikipedia_Troll

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Internet%20Troll

Dec 18, 22 10:52 pm  · 
 · 

Even then, I have not reached a conclusion yet but I am suspecting it as you get all person about it. I am wondering what your intent, here. So far, I had been fairly decent to you and you are getting all emotional. I wonder, why? I just pointed out how your behavior is starting to resemble that of an internet troll. AGAIN, IT IS NOT ABOUT YOUR PHYSICAL LOOKS.

Dec 18, 22 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
Turbo123

Thank you sir. I will tell my boss that I talk to Richard Balkins attorney at law and he say it not illegal so I wear wig with the glue.

Dec 19, 22 12:10 am  · 
 · 

I already said I am not a lawyer. Therefore, it's you that is misrepresenting me. I essentially suggested and still suggest that you consult a lawyer regarding legal issues.

Dec 19, 22 1:16 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Rick stop taking the bait.

Dec 19, 22 11:17 am  · 
1  · 
natematt

tduds.... don't discourage him

Dec 19, 22 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Maccam

Your boss can't MAKE you wear a wig. This is ridiculous. On the other hand, you are 31yrs old, which means you should have some wherewithal to look in the mirror every morning and make sure you are "presentable" when you step outside the house. You sound like a "man-child"

Dec 16, 22 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Don't feed the troll.   

Dec 16, 22 7:53 pm  · 
4  · 
natematt

TBH... from my first read I am 99.9% sure it's a troll... but this made me laugh so hard the first three times I read it... 10/10, this is a troll I can live with. His other posts are all asking Richard why he's talking to himself....

Dec 16, 22 11:18 pm  · 
5  · 
citizen

Dec 17, 22 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

You're boss allowed to do this. Let him.

Dec 16, 22 10:19 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

kangaroos

def kangaroos

Dec 17, 22 12:21 pm  · 
1  · 
monosierra

Say No to Wigs, Yes to Merkins.

Dec 17, 22 5:33 pm  · 
1  · 
Kinsbergen

My office would be much more fun if the employees wore wigs. I would personally opt for a pink one, in the likes of Stephanie from Lazytown.

Dec 18, 22 3:36 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Are you:
A. Fully bald
B. Partially bald and shave your head
C. Partially bald and let the sides grow out
D. Partially bald and do a comb-over

Legality aside, if you're in a client-facing role in a firm that prioritizes aesthetics, C and D are not acceptable. (I'm a B.) 

Dec 18, 22 1:30 pm  · 
2  · 
Kinsbergen

He is none of that. He is a troll.

Dec 18, 22 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

So probably C?

Dec 18, 22 3:38 pm  · 
2  · 
curtkram

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't rem koolhaas c back in the day, a or b now?

Dec 18, 22 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Turbo123

C

Dec 18, 22 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

Then there's Patrick Stewart. It really shouldn't matter. There's plenty of bald people who were Principals of firms and such. Aesthetics is a very subjective thing. C has been acceptable in society and only a shallow b.s firm with shallow b.s. reasons makes a thing of it. One can be bald on top yet have hair on sides and back side of equal length. Sure, you might not be the most appealing to everyone but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Patrick Stewart did fine even back to 1984 Dune as Gurney Halleck. Then as Jean-luc Picard in Start Trek TNG. I suspect the OP may be more of a troll but damn, if this is real, the firm is a real douchey firm that no one should even apply to work for and everyone currently work that firm, resigning after securing a new job.

Dec 18, 22 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The ninja turtles were bald. That’s all the endorsement you need.

Dec 19, 22 6:04 am  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

I can feel my hairline receding more and more reading Rick's posts on this thread.

Dec 19, 22 7:57 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

C is simply unacceptable in today's high-fashion society. Try shaving with #1 clippers, which leaves a little texture to hide lumps and bumps. Or wear a bandana on your head like hard rock musicians do.

Dec 19, 22 10:47 am  · 
 · 

Wear a beret. If you really want to be stylish add a cape.

Dec 19, 22 10:53 am  · 
2  · 
Turbo123

#1 clipper make you look like penis head

Dec 19, 22 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Clean-shaving and waxing your head is more of a d!ckhead look.

Dec 20, 22 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

Depends on the shape of your scalp.

Dec 20, 22 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Good point. People were calling me d!ckhead long before I started losing my hair.

Dec 20, 22 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
bennyc

If the wig is low voc and from certified hair growth farm then sure. Must also comply for Class A fire rating if you are using it in a commercial space. 

Dec 19, 22 9:22 am  · 
4  · 

OP -  I've seen your tinder profile, you are ugly.  Also stating that your preferred 'style' is a mashup of Austrian brutalizm and French Eclecticism is a real turn off.  

Please try harder.  

Dec 19, 22 10:41 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Anyone who's always wanted to say they're an architect should be fine wearing a wig.

A composite image of George wearing his toupee, glasses from the Gloria  Vanderbilt Collection, preparing his hand for a modeling shoot, and  simultaneously taking a vacation from himself. : r/seinfeld

But a fake mustache is too far.

Dec 19, 22 11:58 am  · 
3  · 
Almosthip

You know I always wanted to pretend I was an Architect!

Dec 19, 22 3:08 pm  · 
1  · 

I do it everyday. It's exhausting.

Dec 19, 22 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
OM..

please wear a hair net between your bald head (ugly) and the wig (beautiful). 

Dec 19, 22 2:45 pm  · 
1  · 
gibbost

This is immediately where my mind went.  10th grade humor, but still a classic.

Dec 20, 22 10:50 am  · 
 · 
ill_will

wear two wigs to get on your boss's good side. 

Dec 20, 22 11:19 am  · 
 · 

If the wigs are unique enough you could be considered two people and double your paycheck!

Dec 20, 22 11:55 am  · 
1  · 
ill_will

We'll have to consult Rick about the legality on this

Dec 20, 22 12:25 pm  · 
5  · 
citizen

Make sure whig is whorn on top.

Dec 20, 22 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

Don't tell me where I can wear my whig. That infringes upon my rights. TYRANY! TYRANY!

Dec 20, 22 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

If you look this ugly, then there is no hope for you.

Legal Disclaimer: All associated copyrights (c) are ViacomCBS / Paramount Global (All rights Reserved) - This photo is used for fair-use free speech. 

Dec 21, 22 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: