Archinect
anchor

What program for beginning architect student

cmcini2

I have a friend in Guatemala whose son in going to Architecture school. What kind of program can I get him that is not expensive or free. Someone mentioned AutoCad but when I look you can only rent it for a crazy price. Are there old versions I can buy? Is there anything free that is usable?  Need help!  

Dec 14, 22 12:48 am
Non Sequitur

don’t bother with software. Get them a good set of drawing pencils instead. 

Dec 14, 22 6:27 am  · 
1  · 
cmcini2

Well, he is starting his second semester and they are required to use a computer now.

Dec 14, 22 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Does not matter.

Dec 14, 22 6:40 pm  · 
2  · 

If the course instructor is requiring certain software, then they should already have computers at the educational institution with the software for students to use to do their course work or they suck as an institution. Autocad... well theirs autocad clones that are free and would be functionally indistiguishable to the faculty as far as work produced and printed. There are student licenses for some of the software. 

--------------------------------------------------------

Non Sequitur, it depends on the course and instructor. If the course is requiring the use of certain software, I'd probably would argue that the school should provide the software to the student to use and adequate supply of computers equipped with the software. Even renting laptops with the software needed for the degree program.

This is not an argument for supporting this policy but you and I don't get to control it and your advice may end up causing the student to flunk the course. The particular school isn't even mentioned.

Dec 14, 22 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"your advice may end up causing the student to flunk the course."

There's a large difference between saying software isn't a good gift for a young design student and saying the student shouldn't use software.

Dec 14, 22 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

again, does not matter.

Dec 14, 22 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
Kinsbergen

Tough guy talk blah blah blah.

Dec 16, 22 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

Are you reading the question in the frame of understanding what the OP is looking. Is it gift for completing architecture. The correct answer is $1,000,000,000. Then maybe he'll be able to use up the money and die with a little to pass on to his own children. A profession you start when you are start with a scholarship, then become famous, and end deeply in debt & essentially broke, dead in a bathroom in a train station. 

Actually, seriously, it doesn't always be so dramatic or tragic. 

Dec 17, 22 12:47 am  · 
 · 

We don't know much about the OP's nephew and the architecture school. If this is a gift for his lifetime, sure, I'd probably agree with N.S. If we are taking about something more for the immediate academic needs then that question may be a different situation. If the courses needs him to use software and the student doesn't have the software, how's the student going to perform the work according to the instruction of the class. I can understand N.S. if he's teaching the courses. However, the courses maybe taught different and that they REQUIRE the work done in a specific software program. Architecture is not taught the same way throughout the world. There's no consistent norm. Such does not exist throughout the world.

Dec 17, 22 12:55 am  · 
 · 

I don't think software makes an architect an architect. There are many other things of value to becoming an architect. Non Sequitur, should have been more helpful in his response in explaining the reasons behind his suggestion. Try to actually help people. The culture of snark, from time to time, gets in the way helping people.

Dec 17, 22 12:59 am  · 
 · 
t a z

Give the gift of Rhino!

Rhino - Rhinoceros 3D (rhino3d.com)

(or rather say that you will pay for the student edition which is cheaper)

P.S. I think all Autodesk software is now free for student use? Some kind of validation process is required.

Autodesk Student Downloads & Resources | Autodesk

Dec 14, 22 7:24 pm  · 
2  · 
newbie.Phronesis

They'll be able get any software they need, usually for free. Recommend getting a good reference book instead, like Architectural Graphics by Ramsey/Sleeper, or Architect's Data by Ernst Neufert. If still want a program, Rhino like t a z said is probably a fine choice.

Dec 15, 22 4:14 pm  · 
1  · 

FWIW, drafsight is a reasonable copy of autocad if you are only doing drafting. Very affordable.

In Japan, where my main office is, it is more than enough. In Canada where I am teaching, it is not. Everyone is using Revit, including my office when we are working outside of Japan (and maybe inside of Japan too, the way things are heading). 

Non Sequitur's comment about a good pencil is not a bad one. For years I have been carrying around a pocket sized sketchbook and a pen (the erasable frixion pen is my favourite ). It is perfect for working on the train in Tokyo. Since covid I find that I use that less now and instead do a lot of work on my ipad or surface laptop, using MIRO software or similar. The reason is simply that my sketches can be read immediately by my staff and colleagues wherever they are in the world, and I can save the output as pdfs if I like. Paper is less and less part of my life.  In Guatemala maybe its different. Id ask your friend's son how they are working. Id be surprised if they are not using pen and paper at all...

Dec 17, 22 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: