Archinect
anchor

morphosis - orange county museum of art

cloudforest888

anyone visited this yet?  whoever was the contractor rushed it or something.  so much sloppy work.  any thoughts or inside knowledge on what happened here? 

Nov 30, 22 12:20 am

Got any pics of the sloppy work? 

Nov 30, 22 1:01 pm  · 
2  · 
cloudforest888

see my photos below.

Nov 30, 22 6:12 pm  · 
 · 

I don't know if they were sloppy but they were dramatic. Looks like they got their money's worth of Morphosis.

oa©

oa©
Nov 30, 22 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
cloudforest888

metal panel falling off exterior.  there's more that weren't even installed.  ceiling soffits and panels misaligned and hastily slapped together.  more photos to come.  this was taken over the last week.  not before opening.  @chad miller 

Nov 30, 22 6:12 pm  · 
2  · 
cloudforest888

missing cladding.  hastily built ceiling.  there's more...i just stopped taking pics.

Nov 30, 22 6:17 pm  · 
2  · 

Dang. That's sloppy work.

Dec 1, 22 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

A popular architectural meme Instagram account went on a rampage mocking the construction of the project. You can probably guess who. 

The big question to me is just to what extent things will eventually be fixed/corrected. 

Nov 30, 22 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
cloudforest888

what account? yes, i'm wondering what happened though. and also yes, will it be fixed?

Nov 30, 22 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

DLW

Nov 30, 22 8:07 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Having done some work of this type, my guess is that the truly obvious stuff will be fixed. Like the falling off panel. But those ceiling punch items are probably there to stay. The contractor will pressure the client to allow the mistakes to stay, claiming it will cost more money to fix them, even though that's the GCs responsibility. They will point to missing information or mistakes in the drawings, even though I've seen a couple Morphosis sets and they are incredibly well put together and thorough, say what you will of their design sensibility.

Dec 6, 22 3:55 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

A lot of this stuff doesn't seem like things you can argue at the drawings about. But yeah going to come down to how the client is.

Dec 6, 22 4:32 pm  · 
1  · 
monosierra

Yeah, the museum chief seems remarkably sanguine about the problems. Maybe the owner's rep was also pretty hands off and left the GC to its own devices.

Dec 14, 22 9:17 am  · 
 · 
proto
archanonymous

Damn Ollie, you didn't have to kill them. That was savage (but deserved).

Dec 14, 22 3:50 am  · 
1  · 
thisisnotmyname

It's a richly deserved takedown. Anybody who wants this type of architecture should probably hire Eric Owen Moss instead.

Dec 14, 22 10:57 am  · 
2  ·  1
haruki

Or better yet Gehry Partners. They can deliver even crazier forms than Morphosis but all the parts will fit together rather nicely.

Dec 14, 22 6:28 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: