Archinect
anchor

Why?

Bureau of satirical inQ

why is the profession of educating architecture students so boring and pretentious? It’s like every architecture program in the USA is obsessed with marketing an easy A to a white elitist ACSA NAAB NCARB solar decathlon design build environmentalist student body. 

Nov 6, 22 4:51 pm

Too much generalization, and projection in my opinion. Yes, there's a lot of that kind of institutionalization and corporatization of education as in your list. As a reminder, for good or bad, AIA also has its tentacles in architecture schools. They are there making sure to supply a certain workforce to the industry at large. The states allocate monies to academic programs based on how many good taxpayers schools and departments produce. It is all about data collection to run this operation smoothly. Instructors, while free with their classrooms, are increasingly given the task of data collection, specifying exactly what is effective teaching. Academic freedom exists but administrations are given the job of invading it from the inside and controlling it while believing they are doing the right thing for the future of your field. Many decisions are made about your teaching by people who have very little knowledge of architecture. Watch out, it is very mediocre content that can waste a lot of brilliant minds.

However, opposites to these also exist and they have their own ecosystem. Organic, grassroots, and effective. There are a lot of good architects out there. They are educated somewhere. Whether it's their schooling or their early on-the-job experience, they learn. The schools are, even with their business savvy programs, still the incubators of what is happening today and there are some good works in this architectural universe that keeps going. 

Nov 6, 22 6:14 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

the USofA is not the universe, think about it. hard.

Nov 7, 22 11:04 am  · 
 · 

Maybe your cabeza is too hardened that you can't even read figurative language.

Nov 7, 22 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

Orhan wrote: 

"Too much generalization, and projection in my opinion. "

Typically when you make an argument you follow up your posutlization with supporting reasoning.  I know you're trying to subtly promote your own architectural department and teachings but come on man.  

Nov 9, 22 10:31 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Nice to see this place hasn't changed much in my absence. 

Nov 7, 22 12:00 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

This is yet another thread that asks "why is this so?" without bothering to make a compelling case that it is, in fact, so.

It's like asking why the sky is green, or why pigs fly. 

Nov 7, 22 12:33 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

If it existed it would be easy to show in the OP. 

& btw I'm not talking about whatever gender woke bullshit you've decided this thread is about I'm talking about the first post claiming that "the profession of educating architecture students [is] so boring and pretentious ... obsessed with marketing an easy A to a white elitist ACSA NAAB NCARB solar decathlon design build environmentalist student body." 

I've been out of school for a while and I know you've been out of school for longer so unless you're hanging around more campuses than I am neither of us know anything about what's going on there.

Nov 7, 22 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

or maybe they're wrong.

Nov 7, 22 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Perhaps we still do and your distance from the day-to-day goings on on campuses mean your only knowledge of university life comes from conservative media corps hellbent on creating a boogie man. Or perhaps we never did and certain elements have always been unwelcome in the town square - whether it was women or minorities or immigrants or communists or queers - and you're only noticing because the target-du-jour appears to be the one with which you currently agree. Or perhaps you're confusing the fact that some people are finally allowed into the town square as a threat to your perceived freedom to assume they don't exist. 

Whatever the case theres no sense interrogating why before we can agree on what the reality is. 

Alright back to work.

Nov 7, 22 12:52 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds
tduds

on one hand thanks for nuking the annoying replies. on the other I hate how it always makes me look like I'm arguing at myself.

Nov 7, 22 4:06 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

I went to arch school at a large science and tech university with several difficult programs. Architecture was the 2nd most difficult program. There were NO arch students who got straight A’s. Not a single one. It was literally impossible. Where do you go to school? 

Nov 8, 22 8:01 am  · 
 · 
square.

still waiting for the sound of the red wave to roll by- only place it came close to appearing is in florida. sounds like desantis and xlax have the same level of obsession with "woke," which has become a totally fringe issue. time to relocate?

Nov 9, 22 11:23 am  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

Desantis is going to get re-elected because he handled the hurricane pretty well. Nevermind all the other bullshit he allowed to pass here...

Nov 9, 22 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

He's already won by a large margin.  Just waiting for the official count.  

I found it hypocritical how Desantis kissed the POTUS's ass when asking for disaster relief when he denied it other states.  Then there is the smak Desantis talked about he POTUS after getting the relief money.  

Nov 9, 22 12:49 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: